Today's Irritation - Home Builders w/out Demos or Inworld Location

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2524 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

<begin rant>

Ugh - I've been looking at houses on MP.  How can a builder honestly think that a few pictures will fully represent a house?  I want to see it in person, walk through it, cam around it, see it from above and every side angle. Therfore, if the builder does not have an inworld location (which is perfectly fine by me), then I want a demo.  Geez, how hard can it be to create a version of the house that is a Demo?  How could I possibly plop down my valuable lindens on a house that only gives me pictures?  To me it seems like common sense, but apparently I am just too logical. 

<end rant - sigh>

• Like 10

While I can't guarantee this is the reason there are a lot of builds on the Marketplace where the builder has pretty much left (or actually left) SL. You do not even need to log in to take money out. That is at least part of the answer. 

Have you tried to contact the creator as ask to see a demo in world. They could -- if you let them and if they are actually IN world now and then -- rez the house on your land.   

I have a few older houses that I don't have rezzed in world. I CAN rez them of course but only on request.  So try asking. You might get lucky. 

• Like 5

When I go house shopping I run into that every now and then. It is frustrating! Scaling doesn't always translate. So in the picture the scale of the rooms might seem normal but once you walk through it for yourself it just seems way off.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

While I can't guarantee this is the reason there are a lot of builds on the Marketplace where the builder has pretty much left (or actually left) SL. You do not even need to log in to take money out. That is at least part of the answer. 

Have you tried to contact the creator as ask to see a demo in world. They could -- if you let them and if they are actually IN world now and then -- rez the house on your land.   

I have a few older houses that I don't have rezzed in world. I CAN rez them of course but only on request.  So try asking. You might get lucky. 

I hadn't thought of that until just last night when one of the listings had the comment "Contact me to see house, no inworld store anymore".  Thanks for the suggestion - it just wouldn't have dawned on me, but then I was too busy being irritated.  9_9

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Chase01 said:

When I go house shopping I run into that every now and then. It is frustrating! Scaling doesn't always translate. So in the picture the scale of the rooms might seem normal but once you walk through it for yourself it just seems way off.

And most of us know how easy it is to skew the looks of things with pictures - the right angle can make something small look very large.

• Like 2

I don't buy anything without a demo pretty much..I switch stores pretty much from that moment that I don't see one..

I just figure that's the way the rest of the stuff will be.. I don't care how awesome something looks,there will be awesome  in a few more spots as well..

Been bit by the no demo bug a time or two enough to say,no more..

hehehehe

• Like 6

Someone bought a house from me on Marketplace, then went to look at it inworld (all my Marketplace house listings have a link to inworld location). I assume because her Windlight settings were very different, she left a one star review saying the Marketplace pictures looked "NOTHING like the house inworld". I flagged it, a Linden went out to look at it, saw it looked exactly the same, and removed the review.

I always wonder why anyone would buy a house or anything else without walking through it. But they do. 

I have started adding a Marketplace warning to furniture (for the benefit of those with 8 foot avatars) that furniture in SL is not one size fits all, check out the demo before buying. 

Edited by Pamela Galli
  • Like 6

Here is an irritation that I have today..

They are doing  maintenance on the payment center,so I can't buy lindens and there is hair that I NEED to buy right at this very moment and some other stuff too that I might see along the way..

Why this always happen to ME.. I am, Super Premium Excalibur Account of Awesomeness Member and about to go off the hook!

Feel mah pains! \o/

=P

hehehehehe

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Here is an irritation that I have today..

They are doing  maintenance on the payment center,so I can't buy lindens and there is hair that I NEED to buy right at this very moment and some other stuff too that I might see along the way..

Why this always happen to ME.. I am, Super Premium Excalibur Account of Awesomeness Member and about to go off the hook!

Feel mah pains! \o/

=P

hehehehehe

The struggle is real, I feel your pain.

• Like 2

I'd like to add some irritations!! -raises hand- This is a fun thread!

This week I've been too 2-3 skin stores without body applier demos ... The pause is long. I then take another look around as if maybe I've missed them. I check the MP store and then  when I realize its true—my reaction is something like this.

tumblr_nwuf1hPwpo1ql5yr7o1_500.gif

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Carolyn Zapedzki said:

That annoys me as well. The same for skins, i see some creators either don't have demos in world or on the MP.  I would not spend hundreds of lindens without trying 1 on.

OMG me too!  I will also admit that I get irritated by rings around heads,  body, and hair  and part missing from heads when demoing.  Or they do not include huds for heads in demo's either.  And lines on skins also as it is really hard to judge the skins at times cause of where the lines are.  Does this really protect someone if someone really wants to copy you? I am just curious.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, karynmaria said:

OMG me too!  I will also admit that I get irritated by rings around heads,  body, and hair  and part missing from heads when demoing.  Or they do not include huds for heads in demo's either.  And lines on skins also as it is really hard to judge the skins at times cause of where the lines are.  Does this really protect someone if someone really wants to copy you? I am just curious.

I don't think it's necessarily to protect the work, although many might say or think that. Without some way to visually mark it as a demo, there's no reason to buy the full item. Like, if the skin looked normal, why wouldn't you just use the demo item?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HarrisonMcKenzie said:

I don't think it's necessarily to protect the work, although many might say or think that. Without some way to visually mark it as a demo, there's no reason to buy the full item. Like, if the skin looked normal, why wouldn't you just use the demo item?

I can understand stamping demo on the skin and attaching the DEMO over the head but putting rings around the body and head and lots of lines on the skin can make it hard to judge if that makes sense.  I have still bought the stuff but it just seems extreme and some skins i haven't bought because of all the lines.  

• Like 3

Unfortunately there are brands that have chosen to take it a bit too far and as a result it becomes difficult to judge what exactly you're buying. If the markings are too intrusive I just move on. I am also not a fan of hair creators not including multiple HUD's. I also tend to shy away from those stores. There's even 1 or 2 stores that I can think of that don't offer demos at all of their product. Its like Stiletto Moody all over again.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chase01 said:

There's even 1 or 2 stores that I can think of that don't offer demos at all of their product.

Or have extremely hard to see images and then charge for the demo. I'm not exciting about having to pay for a demo just to see what a hairstyle even is, let alone if it fits and looks good.

• Like 2

Obviously, from all the various comments, creating Demos must be an extremely difficult process

/me rolls eyes

I don't see too many mesh hairs without a demo, or skins even, but I do still see clothing here and there without demos.  I guess some may figure that if the item doesn't cost much, then it isn't worth creating a demo for - though "does not cost much" is a very subjective thing.  Or more likely, they manage to make sales without demos, so they figure 'why bother'.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2524 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.