I cannot log on

Camay Boucher

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2531 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have been playing SL for 10 years.  I have never had connection issues.  With this last rolling restart I have not been able to login for over a week now.   I have managed to log on for a few seconds but could not move or do anything and then get booted again.   I own my own sim and run a business and have a lot of money invested in SL.  I am not happy that I cannot log on.  I keep getting the same message each time.  I have both Firestorm and the SL viewer.  I get the same unable to connect message from both.  I have checked my internet connection and still have the same signal strength and nothing has changed there.  I can run everything else and watch movies... so no issues with my internet.   I did a clean reinstall of the program.  That did not help.  I checked my firewall and anti-virus ... no issue there.

Would really appreciate any assistance.  I have dances on my sim twice a week and have had to cancel the last 3.  Not a happy camper.

Here are my specifics from SL:

Second Life 5.0.4.325124 (Second Life Release)
Release Notes

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz (2194.92 MHz)
Memory: 8107 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8 64-bit  (Build 9200) compatibility mode. real ver: 10.0 (Build 10586)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce 840M/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 20.19.0015.4531
OpenGL Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 376.54

Window size: 1920x1027
Font Size Adjustment: 96pt
UI Scaling: 1
Draw distance: 128m
Bandwidth: 500kbit/s
LOD factor: 1.125
Render quality: 4 / 7
Advanced Lighting Model: Enabled
Texture memory: 512MB
VFS (cache) creation time: May 12 2017 19:49:29

J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.2
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Ex 4.44.31
LLCEFLib/CEF Version: 1.5.3-(CEF-WIN-3.2526.1347-32)
LibVLC Version: 2.2.4
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
May 14 2017 08:52:30

SL internet connection.PNG

8 answers to this question

As you know from ten years of experience in SL, your connection bandwidth makes almost no difference, as long as you have at least 1000 kB/sec or so.  What counts is reliability.  You didn't show us any of your stats on that.  Specifically, if you are losing more than about 0.2% of your data in packet loss, you will probably disconnect or fail to connect in the first place. If your ping time is more than a few hundred msec, the same thing will happen.  In fact, once your ping time is greater than about 150 msec, you will start to experience noticeable lag.

If you haven;t already rebooted both your router and your modem by unplugging them from the power for a few minutes, do it now.  If you have been using a wireless connection, especially on an older router, switch to a direct cable or DSL connection now.  If you have already done those things, check all cables and connectors, and seriously consider replacing your router.  Ask your ISP to check your connection from the street too.  My packet loss was degraded dramatically a couple of years ago by corrosion on one of my ISP's connectors at the street.

Along with everything else said, note that movies (Netflix, Amazon, YouTube etc) stream with a buffer and "smartness" that can detect your bandwidth and adjust for you. SL is not the same at all.  

You can check your actual speed either through your ISP or by going to Google and typing in "speed test" where you will get various sites and as Rolig said direct connection rather than wireless is always better (I get 25% more and don't have to worry about the router (mine is a combo set, but still). 

I live in the country and have tried several options, there is no cable or DSL available here.   I have had no issues until this past week.   My husband is an IT person and being connected is his business, so we have the best connection possible where we live.  I did a ping it is 105.  We have no packet loss, and we show 3000 kB/s.  I rebooted the router and restarted the cradle point.  The router is new.

Hmmm.. It sounds like your ping time and packet loss are quite reasonable, and you do have plenty of bandwidth, and you have new equipment.  The lack of DSL or cable is unfortunate, but you seem to be doing well in spite of it.  I still suggest asking your ISP to check over things to be sure that there isn't something odd with the connection past your front door, though.  The symptoms you describe smell very much like a connection issue, and the fact that they persist when you move to other regions tells me that the problem isn't in your own region's servers.   I'm at a momentary loss for other ideas, but you may find something relevant in Nalates's blog at http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/

1 hour ago, Camay Boucher said:

The router is new

Any chance you might have used your OLD power cord on your NEW router just hooking the new one up to the old cord? I only ask because I had an issue just a week ago where that was the problem. It took the tech guys (four in all) a very long time to figure out what was wrong. 

A long shot, but ...

Edited by Chic Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2531 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.