Answers - Change Default Sorting

LittleMe Jewell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1774 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The Answers section insists on sorting by Votes and I have to override it to sort by Date every time I go into a post.  Yes, I know, I'm odd and actually like to always read things by date, not by how valuable or not someone thinks an answer is. 

Is there any way that a default sorting method can be specified and retained for the Answers sub-forum - or some way to add such functionality?

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

I'm bring this up again because it seems to be not only annoying to me, but confusing to some of the new forum folks visiting the Answers section.

So, is there any way you can do one of the following in the Answers section:

1) Change the default sort to 'by date'

2) Change it to remember our last specified sort order (so we don't have to change it for every single thread we go in to )

3) Do away with the voting entirely, since that is what messes up the sort and the voting gets abused anyway and thus is not always relevant.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Do away with the voting entirely, since that is what messes up the sort and the voting gets abused anyway and thus is not always relevant.

I understand wanting to flag the best answer for the next person with the same question, so maybe let the OP flag what worked as the answer they used.

But yeah, voting its own drama. 

• Like 1

Things become more of a pain if the thread goes past the first page and there happens to be a lot of up/down voting going on.  Sorting by date will toss you back to the first page and then you have to scroll through everything to find the post that you last read.

• Like 2

I agree with sort by date as default or at least have it stick if chosen as default.  It doesn't take much to confuse me these days.  It took me ages to even notice up and down votes  until a post of my own was voted up and I was all huh  :$

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

If the Answers section is going to continue to sort by votes as its default, the least it could do is maintain my sort by date until I leave a thread, rather than reverting the sort order every single time I add a post.  I then have to re-click 'sort by date', figure out where I left off reading before I submitted a response, and then continue from there.  If I submit another response, I then get to do all of that all over again.

Yes,  I know that I just pulled up a super old long dead thread, but I'm the one that started the thread to begin with and the issue is still a MAJOR PITA.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I understand the logic of sorting by vote count for the answers forum, but it seems like there needs to be a time element as well, to age out the really old Q&A that may become dated.  Perhaps sorting by recent-vote-count where recent is the last N days.  

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1774 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.