LISI-hud

AnnistynSL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2499 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hope that someone can help me with this. I made an alt, but keep getting this in my Inventory. It's in my "Objects", and when I remove it, it goes to "Trash".

Doesn't matter what I try ( Purse, restore, replave or move) it always comes back. Anyone had the same? I didn't accept anything from others, and it is also not in my worn-map. 

Using Firestorm, latest version.

slhelp.PNG

6 hours ago, Innula Zenovka said:

Have you tried this with the Official Viewer?    I've just gone to Social Island 1 using the Official Viewer and the HUDs behave for me as expected -- that is, they don't show as being in my inventory, either while they're attached or afterwards.    The only way a HUD can attach to you without first asking for permissions and going into your inventory is with llAttachToAvatarTemp, and if a HUD does attach to you that way, it shouldn't ever appear as being in your inventory (though it will now, I think, show in the "Wearing" tab of your Attachments window, under a special heading).

So I suspect you've discovered a bug in Firestorm.    Maybe @Whirly Fizzle could advise.

Ahhh yes.  There is a bug there.  It happens with the LL viewer too.  I first noticed it with the temp attachments when playing Horizons.
I was meaning to file a bug report about it & then I forgot.  I'll file a JIRA the next time it reproduces for me on the LL viewer.
What happens is, sometimes (for as yet unknown reasons) when a temporary attachment is detached from your avatar (by teleporting out of the experience region for example), the temp attachment will then be visible in your inventory.
It isn't really in your inventory though, it's a ghost.  Attempting to rez or wear that temp attachment from inventory will give an "attempt to rez object failed" error.
Relogging clears the ghosted temp attachments out of inventory.

As far as I understand it, temp attachments never actually go into your inventory so it's a pretty odd bug.

• Like 2

The reason I was asking if they were in the Library Objects folder is,because we can't delete things from the Library..

But they must have been in the inventory objects folder if they are gone now..

Hopefully they stay gone for you :)

have a nice rest of your day. =)

• Like 1

You have visited the Linden Lab Learning Island or Social Island.  While you were there, you were wearing a HUD that gives you information and keeps track of activities that you performed.  It's a temporary HUD, supplied automatically, but it is only yours while you are wearing it.  As soon as it detaches, it's trashed and unusable. 

• Like 1

I just noticed this answer. Thank you both. 

They did come back. Glad they can not ruin anything in my inventory or worse, but for someone who likes to keep the inventory as clean as possible, it is annoying. Maybe someday they get bored of me, and leave for ever ^_^

Have you tried this with the Official Viewer?    I've just gone to Social Island 1 using the Official Viewer and the HUDs behave for me as expected -- that is, they don't show as being in my inventory, either while they're attached or afterwards.    The only way a HUD can attach to you without first asking for permissions and going into your inventory is with llAttachToAvatarTemp, and if a HUD does attach to you that way, it shouldn't ever appear as being in your inventory (though it will now, I think, show in the "Wearing" tab of your Attachments window, under a special heading).

So I suspect you've discovered a bug in Firestorm.    Maybe @Whirly Fizzle could advise.

• Like 2

If llAttachToAvatarTemp() fails due to the target not having any available attach slots, it will change owner and remain in-world until autoreturn.

Efficient llAttachToAvatarTemp() scripts should be checking the target against llGetObjectDetails() and OBJECT_ATTACHED_SLOTS_AVAILABLE.

• Like 1

That's true, but it's not what is happening here, and I suspect that the LDPW scripters are clever enough to know to check for available slots anyway.  The HUD is not remaining in world, unattached.  It attaches properly and then detaches improperly to the OP's inventory, which should not be possible with llAttachToAvatarTemp.  As Innula says, the fact that it does not happen with the standard LL viewer suggests that this is a quirk of the Firestorm viewer.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

If llAttachToAvatarTemp() fails due to the target not having any available attach slots, it will change owner and remain in-world until autoreturn.

Efficient llAttachToAvatarTemp() scripts should be checking the target against llGetObjectDetails() and OBJECT_ATTACHED_SLOTS_AVAILABLE.

There I thought, oops, this does not sound good. But after the "so it's a pretty odd bug" from Whirly, I thought, yes, that sounds more like me :D

9 hours ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

Well, doesn't sound like thats whats going on, but for the record, LL has yet to update any of their experiences that use temp attaching to check if slots are available even though we've had the ability for over half a year now.

That also is probably true, since it's a fairly massive job to go back and update scripts across an experience as complex as, say, PaleoQuest.  Older experiences -- Linden Realms -- were created before llAttachToAvatarTemp was available, of course, and Horizons and Social Island were both released since last summer, when we've had the ability to check the availability of attachment points.  ;)

20 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

You're thinking of "drain the swamp".  Different metaphor.  :ph34r:

I've wondered about this.

Draining a swamp only removes the water. In my neighborhood, DNR won't let you alter the contour of wetlands, so that's illegal. Wouldn't "straining the swamp" produce more desirable results?

Edited by Madelaine McMasters

I was taught in H.S. English classes that a metaphor is only useful if most people agree on the image it evokes.  Once you start taking metaphors literally, they reveal a lot about your world view. The swamp is a good example of a metaphor gone awry. The implication of "draining a swamp" is that swamps are undesirable places.  That would be true if you wanted to build a house on the land or if you were concerned about getting malaria from its mosquitoes.  If you are familiar with swamps as wildlife refuges or buffer zones against fires and flooding, though, you'd curse people who wanted to drain them.  Or strain them.

But we digress.

5 minutes ago, AnnistynSL said:

They all came back. My personal swamp :-)

In the grand scheme of things, fortunately, it's a small swamp.  I have held steady at around 35,000 inventory items for many years now by diligently pruning older items as I add new ones.  Still, there's no way to fool myself into thinking that I will ever make more of a serious dent in it.  I don't have the time or motivation, so there's always going to be a swamp below the surface in there.  I have more important things to worry about.  You probably do too.  ;)

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2499 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.