get profile picture of users??

Rhiannon Arkin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2535 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 5/13/2017 at 7:36 AM, Rachel1206 said:

There is no functions as such to my knowledge, but can be obtained by using llHTTPRequest using the key-id of the person you want the profile picture of.

An example of how to do this is found in the Wiki: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Get_Profile_Picture

This cool! I imagine scripting an object to display the user's own picture when they touch it or whatever.

6 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Some stores and entertainment venues do this as a form of welcome when someone arrives.

And I remember there was quite a bit of controversy displaying someones profile picture without requesting their permission first. So it became good practice to prompt a dialog to the user to ask for permissions beforehand.

Edited by arton Rotaru
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, arton Rotaru said:

And I remember there was quite a bit of controversy displaying someones profile picture without requesting their permission first. So it became good practice to prompt a dialog to the user to ask for permissions beforehand.

Yep. Though the practice didn't bother me, it didn't make me feel welcome either. It's hard to be nefarious when your face is plastered on a huge billboard like Chairman Mao.

6 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Yep. Though the practice didn't bother me, it didn't make me feel welcome either. It's hard to be nefarious when your face is plastered on a huge billboard like Chairman Mao.

xD
I always clicked NO in these dialogs, too! Although I am not nefarious. ^_^

That was a really "hot" feature when it first became popular (like For-e-ver Ago) but now most to many of us are less than thrilled.  If you store or club or whatever is mostly new folks then it might be impressive, but it not --- likely not LOL.

Just sayin' *wink*.

It's just proof that someone has actually shopped there, really, marketing. Nothing wrong with it, but yeah, some people don't want everyone at the diaper store or whatever to know they've been shopping there, lol.

If I like a place and think they're worthwhile, and they have that, I'll let them use my picture, it's like my seal of approval. But yeah, mostly it's just another thing to have to click before you can walk around 'n' shop. xD

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2535 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.