"mixed race female hair" and shoulder length hair

Sylvia Wasp

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2532 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

hello ... strange question perhaps, but here goes ...

Before mesh hair, and for years and years I had flexi hair, ("Cutie" by LAQ), that was very close to my RL hair.  It was a shoulder length, basic straight cut like millions of women out there have in RL.  I kept it for so long because there seems to be almost no normal, realistic, shoulder length hair in SL.  Strangely, there isn't even a category for it in SL Marketplace, there is just short and long. Especially since I switched to mesh everything (and because people will laugh at you now if you wear flexi hair), I haven't found hardly any shoulder length hair.  And I've really looked.  I've been to most of the big hair vendors and searched the entire store systematically and not found anything.  

Then the other day I saw a girl wearing "mixed race female hair" which is pretty basic but at least it's a realistic, plain, shoulder length hair cut.  It turns out this is Linden hair for n00bs?  Does anyone know where I can get this hair?  

Better yet, does anyone know a quality hair maker that makes realistic, plain, shoulder length, mesh hair?  The closest I've found is "Macron" by rezology.  

Even better: if it's a starter avatar, it should be easy to pick from the "Choose an avatar" panel in the viewer. Or "change your appearance" or whatever it is called in the official viewer.

In the library folder (Library > Clothing > Initial Outfits), you only got random names with barely any descriptive value.

Though I'm at loss picking any hair from the premade avatars which remotely resembles the Rezology style...

classic.jpg

macaron.jpg

people.jpg

Interesting.  Thanks for the replies.  

I use Firestorm so I don't have this picker/viewer thingie I guess.  I did check the library before I posted, but there was nothing with that name, I guess I'll check again.  

I don't see the "mixed race female hair" in that lineup either but it is a bit dark.  I will have to get a picture next time.  The Macaron from rezology is one I've been using as you see in my icon but I'd still like more options.  

There may not be a solution at all, I just find it odd that most of my friends in RL have this sort of hair style but that you rarely see it in SL.  

Edited by Sylvia Wasp

There is no such thing as realistic mesh hair, unless you think realistic means setting your hair with a gallon of shellack. Shoulder  length hair is the perfect length for flexi prim because it doesn't go thru the body like longer styles (mine included) does. Yes its true I still have flexi prim hair too, and I'm ridiculed for it, but untill the day i see a mesh hair with the same "wow" factor i felt the first time i tried on my flexi prim hair, I'm keeping it

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
changed one word for better meaning
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

There is no such thing as realistic mesh hair, unless you think realistic means setting your hair with a gallon of shellack. Shoulder  length hair is the perfect length for flexi prim because it doesn't go thru the body like longer styles (mine included) does. Yes its true I still have flexi prim hair too, and I'm ridiculed for it, but untill the day i see a mesh hair with the same "wow" factor i felt the first time i tried on my flexi prim hair, I'm keeping it

I tend to agree.  I hung onto mine for many years, but in many ways SL is an exercise in compromises.  Attached is a picture of pre-mesh me with my "Cutie" hair from LAQ which is absolutely the best hair I've ever had in SL, but again is apparently so unpopular that it's long been off the market.  It was unpopular and impossible to get long before mesh hair even arrived. 

There is nothing like a flexi skirt also.  Mesh skirts, except for the tight ones, are just too stiff for me to even bother with.  Not even close to realistic. 

I have some long hair in mesh that has a "breeze effect" that isn't as dramatic, but works (sort of) although long mesh hair is always a problem because even rigged, it's still stiff looking and as you say, not realistic.  I have some pixie cuts in mesh that I end up wearing a lot because they look more realistic than most.  Mesh hair is also able to use materials which ups the realism factor a bit, despite the stiffness.  

What I'd probably be satisfied with (if there's anyone out there that wants to make it for me, lol), is something like that Macaron hair above, but less messy, smoother, more realistic textures, and using materials and "breeze effect."  A tall order I know (and apparently unpopular enough that no one has made it yet). :) 

Cutie Flexi-hair.png

Edited by Sylvia Wasp
  • Like 1

I still have plenty of Flexi hairs and plan to keep them - short, shoulder length, updos, and ponytails.  I never cared much for the long ones because they would go through the body.  As long as their Complexity value isn't super high, I will continue to wear them and don't really care what anyone thinks. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sylvia Wasp said:

I use Firestorm so I don't have this picker/viewer thingie I guess.

You can activate it and I think the panel is actually part of the user interface in a fresh Firestorm install.
Click on any toolbar, hit the "Toolbar buttons..." option and then drag the "Avatars" button onto a toolbar. Voila. ;)

Firestorm: Avatar -> Choose an avatar. You get up all the different starter avatars. You can then search on the name, if you don't want to choose that avatar. Remember to save what you wear in an outfit first, because if you wear a starter avatar it is a puzzle to find all you had on.....

• Like 2

For my eyes, well made flexi hair still looks the most natural looking hair what one can get in Second Life. Nothing laughable in it.
For short hairs mesh can look excellent, but longer hairs need smooth flowing movement which mesh cannot provide.

• Like 4

On 5/13/2017 at 0:39 PM, BilliJo Aldrin said:

There is no such thing as realistic mesh hair, unless you think realistic means setting your hair with a gallon of shellack.

This literally made me laugh out loud lmao. Thank you! :D

To the OP. Analog Dog still has their flexi hair available and some of them have actually aged very well IMO. Have you ever seen their stuff? Lamb does a lot of cute shoulder length hair styles. They were the first ones to pop into my head. I agree with Coby though. If you like wearing flexi, you should wear flexi. I wouldn't care what other people thought if it made me happy then I'd rock it.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2017 at 0:42 AM, Sylvia Wasp said:

hello ... strange question perhaps, but here goes ...

Before mesh hair, and for years and years I had flexi hair, ("Cutie" by LAQ), that was very close to my RL hair.  It was a shoulder length, basic straight cut like millions of women out there have in RL.  I kept it for so long because there seems to be almost no normal, realistic, shoulder length hair in SL.  Strangely, there isn't even a category for it in SL Marketplace, there is just short and long. Especially since I switched to mesh everything (and because people will laugh at you now if you wear flexi hair), I haven't found hardly any shoulder length hair.  And I've really looked.  I've been to most of the big hair vendors and searched the entire store systematically and not found anything.  

Then the other day I saw a girl wearing "mixed race female hair" which is pretty basic but at least it's a realistic, plain, shoulder length hair cut.  It turns out this is Linden hair for n00bs?  Does anyone know where I can get this hair?  

Better yet, does anyone know a quality hair maker that makes realistic, plain, shoulder length, mesh hair?  The closest I've found is "Macron" by rezology.  

(I bolded)

LOL, I'll laugh harder at you for wearing Playdough hair, what is loving referred to as mesh hair just to make it sound better.

A good flexi hair will ALOWYS look better than something plastered motionless on your head held in place with six cans of hair spray. (IMHO)

As a side-note, there are more default avatars in the Library folder than those that show up in the Avatars toolbar. The ones from the toolbar can be found in: Library > Clothing > Initial Outfits, but the older ones are all found in: Library > Clothing > Older Outfits. In that folder, not only will you find the really ancient stuff, but also the more recent things, which probably includes the 'Linden hair for n00bs' that you mentioned.

Lastly, at the very bottom of the Inventory Library, you'll find the Accessories > Hair Design Options (Colours & Styles) folder, which contains yet more default hair, so have a rummage in that folder, too.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

I prefer it when people wear flexi hair.  The alpha glitches can be amusing.

Isn't that the truth, I have one mesh hair in particular that if I wear a mesh top with it there are spots you can see right through me. I did not expect that from mesh hair.

The thing is, there is a time and place for both, for photos mesh hair is beautiful, but for dancing flexi hair is the only way to go.

On 5/15/2017 at 2:01 PM, Rhonda Huntress said:

I wonder if animated mesh can find a middle ground.  Movement without clipping would be the holy grail :)

I'd also like to see more hair that doesn't float like a foot above my chest. Looks so awkward from the side. Just thought I'd add that to our wishlist :D

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Chase01 said:

I'd also like to see more hair that doesn't float like a foot above my chest. Looks so awkward from the side. Just thought I'd add that to our wishlist :D

I've always assumed that whoever was making the hair was using a model with GGG size chest.

This is one of my biggest reasons for hating any mesh long style that comes over the shoulders to the front.  I did not make myself a large chested avi, so those hairs always look so stupid on me.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I've always assumed that whoever was making the hair was using a model with GGG size chest.

This is one of my biggest reasons for hating any mesh long style that comes over the shoulders to the front.  I did not make myself a large chested avi, so those hairs always look so stupid on me.

I am small chested and I have that issue with quite a few hairs lmao -cry-

• Like 2

On 15/05/2017 at 6:47 AM, Skell Dagger said:

@Sylvia Wasp If anyone's going to have a hairstyle similar to that Rezology one, it'll be Stealthic. Try their 'Erratic' hair. It's fairly close to what you're after, I think. If that's a bit too long, their 'Vivacity' style is also good.

stealthic_erratic.jpg.f4e3f936403031297d075a250a78bc50.jpg   stealthic_vivacity.jpg.84557e3062f9ac98ffbc0039e7b2175b.jpg

Coincidentally, this thread made me go out hair shopping again and I ran into Stealthic.  

I bought the demos for these exact hairs!  :-)

Unfortunately, none of them fit and they are all rigged, so no joy there.  I understand why mesh hair is rigged, but here's a CLASSIC example of a sale that will never happen simply because the creators don't understand that people might not all have the same head.  

These are well made, expensive hairs and I would have bought two or three items at the store, but I can't, because they don't fit, and can't be re-sized.  Even though re-sizing scripts are common and easy to install.  I will never understand why creators don't want to allow us to re-size the hair and instead insist on us changing our heads to suit their hair.  

Not to criticize Stealthic or come down too hard on them because their hair is beautiful and this is very common across the board, but to me, creators are literally throwing away potential sales when they do this. 

Edit: *some* of the hairs have resizing scripts in them depending on which ones, so Stealthic is doing it right in some cases.  In the case of these two hairs in particular ... Vivacity can be resized with a  script but Erratic seemingly cannot. 

Edited by Sylvia Wasp

50 minutes ago, Chase01 said:

I am small chested and I have that issue with quite a few hairs lmao -cry-

Preaching to the choir, lol.  I have even found makers that helpfully include a "large breasted" size and a "small breasted" size, but even the small breasted one still floats a half foot above my chest. :)  And it's not like I'm *that* flat.  I try to make myself look like RL which is just a standard B cup. 

Edited by Sylvia Wasp

On 15/05/2017 at 11:01 AM, Rhonda Huntress said:

I wonder if animated mesh can find a middle ground.  Movement without clipping would be the holy grail :)

I have some really beautiful long mesh hair from eXxEsS that has a "breeze effect."  It has a very subtle movement, but it does move a bit and I've never noticed any alpha problems. 

1 hour ago, Sylvia Wasp said:

Preaching to the choir, lol.  I have even found makers that helpfully include a "large breasted" size and a "small breasted" size, but even the small breasted one still floats a half foot above my chest. :)  And it's not like I'm *that* flat.  I try to make myself look like RL which is just a standard B cup. 

My avatar has what the game industry would call "heroic proportions."  In SL terms that's medium.

• Like 2

On 5/13/2017 at 1:23 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

I still have plenty of Flexi hairs and plan to keep them - short, shoulder length, updos, and ponytails.  I never cared much for the long ones because they would go through the body.  As long as their Complexity value isn't super high, I will continue to wear them and don't really care what anyone thinks. 

me too.  I have both mesh and flexi hair and as long as it looks cute I dont care what anyone thinks.  I never even knew it was such a *gasp* horror that you would be laughed at until I read it just here, but then again I dont socialize much in sl so...  maybe people are just snickering behind my back. :P  It doesnt occur to me to mock people in such a way in sl or rl, so I guess Im just oblivious.  lol

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2532 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.