Nice article about SL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2618 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Deltango Vale said:

Well, hasn't this forum got fancy while I was away. Not so sure about these new, round icons, especially since people invested so much creativity in the old ones. 

I only ever made my icon once then forgot how  ')

Anyway ...Im happy just to have my profile photo. 

20 hours ago, Deltango Vale said:

Well, hasn't this forum got fancy while I was away. Not so sure about these new, round icons, especially since people invested so much creativity in the old ones. In any event, I thought I'd share an article about Second Life I stumbled across on Backchannel.

Deltango! How the hell are ya?!

That's a wonderful story about SL, thanks for sharing it. I love hearing stories about SL affording people things they lost, or never had. And there also those who are shy, introverted, anxious, lacking in self confidence or unsure of their full nature who can practice being themselves here and sometimes bring that all back out into RL so we might get the chance to meet them.

• Like 1

Really nice story about second life..

I followed the world maker video link and have been watching that series of videos..They have some really great stories of the people in second life..

All of a sudden I seen one with the name ,Jo Yardley in there.. I was like,Hey I know that name..

She has been in the forums ever since I can remember..Here and over at SLU..

For those that don't know her,she is the creator of the ,1920's Berlin sim..Just an amazing sim..

It was a nice surprise to see a familiar name in that series..There are some amazing stories in there that just have me hooked at watching them..

Speaking of familiar names..Nice to see you again as well Deltango,Thank you for the link to the story.:)

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

Maddy and Ceka,

The article reminded me not only of the empowerment that SL affords so many people who might otherwise be constrained by RL, but also that I have a home, community and extended family in SL. I confess it's nice to be remembered after a lengthy absence from the forum :)

I was never much of a tech person, seeing rather the social value of SL. I have certainly changed over the past ten years as a result of my involvement. Gone is the first flush of sensual exuberance (I cringe at my original outfits), replaced over time by the sobriety that comes from running a small business (land rentals) and the need to relate to people without any of the advantages I might have in RL. SL does that to us: it strips us bare of all RL attributes, good or bad, and forces us to reinvent ourselves in a rich social milieu. I don't think the techies ever understood this or the social benefits (human and social capital) that come from being a long-term resident. For example, I now use Facebook solely as a news feed. Sure, it's useful for staying in touch with immediate family, but every FB community I have joined I subsequently left due to noise and strife. Only in SL do I feel part of something real and wholesome. FB grabs the mind for ten seconds; SL holds the heart for ten years.

Hoping to spend more time in the forum. Love to all.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2618 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.