Could we have a referral to Support sticky?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1222 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So many people come here thinking Lindens are in the forums providing support, and have to be referred to the Support website or billing phone numbers or whatever. It would be good to be able to have all these links in a sticky they could be referred to. 

• Like 4
8 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

So many people come here thinking Lindens are in the forums providing support, and have to be referred to the Support website or billing phone numbers or whatever. It would be good to be able to have all these links in a sticky they could be referred to. 

This would be so very helpful.

• Like 2

Based on the questions that have come up lately over and over again, there should actually be a sticky that contains a few Support related things in it:

Link to Support

Link to Chat (noting that only Premium accounts can use it)

Billing phone number

Link to some wiki pages - Limits, Billing, Buying L$

That would not only make it easier for us to give out good info, but some folks might even find the links on their own and not need to ask their questions.

• Like 2

Tommy looks around to see where he can find this information and happens to stumble across a link at the top of the page titled Knowledge Base. Clicking into it, not knowing for sure what dangers may be ahead, he is shocked when he realizes he can type in things like "Contact Support" and it brings up an article on how to do so! What kind of strange sorcery is this?!?

In all seriousness though, we understand the need and desire to have some links readily available on the page you are already on, however unfortunately after some discussion it has been determined that the best thing to do, would be direct people to the Knowledge Base, which we do have a link for on every page. The search function is pretty simple, and seems to pull up the relevant correct information.

The best thing you as members of the community can do (because you are all awesome helpful people), if you have someone you are wanting to help, empower them by teaching them how to search the Knowledge Base, where all the information is right at their fingertips! Or, lead them to the water and then force them to drink it, by giving them a link directly to the specific knowledge base article that answers their question.

• Like 5
26 minutes ago, Tommy Linden said:

The best thing you as members of the community can do (because you are all awesome helpful people), if you have someone you are wanting to help, empower them by teaching them how to search the Knowledge Base, where all the information is right at their fingertips! Or, lead them to the water and then force them to drink it, by giving them a link directly to the specific knowledge base article that answers their question.

fun thing is... when you only point to the KB you'r often get the response for being rude, blunt or unhelpfull.... :)

And it is possible to bring a donkey to the water... but can't force him to drink..

• Like 1

I am all for empowerment and agree that in the long run pointing people to resources is the best option.  However I have found that having a FAQ in my Picks answers about 90% of Support questions. No one has to do a search (which I can assure you many do not know how to do), just read over the FAQ and voila. 

Dont most forums have a FAQ? 

I think regulars here and ESP the Answer people could come up with a list of FAQs. 

1 minute ago, Pamela Galli said:

I think regulars here and ESP the Answer people could come up with a list of FAQs. 

my suggestion would be... see the KB  ;)..

questions are so diverse, that it's allover the place..but 99% is to find with a simple keyword search in the KB withitn a few minutes of reading.

But people don't like doing things themself sometimes.. or forget that there is a search option. I'm sure you'll be able to find posts where they even get angry when not getting help but only a link to the KB.

#2 I tried to get a credit out, but it won't let me 

a) it keeps saying my credit limit is 0 - please change that

b) it won't put the money on my credit card

Yes these issues can be found via search, but you would honestly be surprised at how many cannot search effectively - or cannot figure out which of 10 articles returned is what they really want to read.  Far easier for many people to ask others and get a quick answer.

• Like 1

I just went a did a search for "Credit Limit", which is the term a lot of folks key their problem on. Below is a picture of what I got.  The only two that 'might' apply to the Credit Limit question, would be "Billing" or "Buying and selling Linden dollars".  Even though I know that the issue is addressed at the bottom of the "Buying and Selling Linden dollars" page, when I first go there and read the topics listed at the top, there is no mention of getting credit out and many folks would just stop right there.

temp.thumb.JPG.edea723ef763f6f5c02dde19e30e0726.JPG

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1
7 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

yes but problem is... they will keep doing it and never use the KB

Which is why a sticky at the top of the forums with some links related to the most asked stuff would be nice.  We can either point them to the sticky or more easily grab a link from it to put in a comment.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Do you have a link to the Knowledge Base?

temp.JPG.fc49fae99eb9b8d1e4c16f2f463dcee6.JPG

ETA: Folks could also get there from their dashboard, under Help - but I think they like the forums better - probably because Help / Support points to Answers adn makes it sound like the best choice, not to mention it has all the Answers categories right there.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Tommy Linden said:

... the best thing to do, would be direct people to the Knowledge Base, which we do have a link for on every page. The search function is pretty simple, and seems to pull up the relevant correct information.

Not meaning to knock the hard work that has been done in the Knowledge Base, but it really seems that it was written by very knowledgeable people that were not really thinking like a 'lost and clueless resident'.  Not to mention the irritating fact that many of the links take you to your own dashboard related page rather than another Knowledge page actually explaining things.  

Here is an example of the frustration that I can see someone going through if they are trying to pull money out and their limits are still $0 (a question we deal with over and over). I know this frustration because I did the search in an effort to get myself links to give people.

If you go to the first Knowledge Base page, it really just looks like a bunch of FYI forum-type topic posts. That by itself might send folks elsewhere looking for a quick answer.   If the topic you are interested in is not on the first page, then you must search - and hope that you are searching for the correct term.  IMO, this first page should be more like the table of contents in a book or document.  All of these articles can be grouped into categories and therefore do have sort of a hierarchy.  If articles are logically laid out, things will be easier to find.

If through searching you do manage to find the "Buying and selling Linden dollars" page (because there is the term 'limits'), you will find that the Topic Outline mentions "trading limits".  However that is not the same as credit limits and thus that area does not discuss Process Credit.  If you happen to make it to the bottom of the page, you will finally find one of the very few links that actually take you to another Knowledge page ('Account Balance') rather than taking you to a page on your own dashboard - i.e. a page that will offer no explanation of anything.

The "Account Balance" link takes you to a page that actually does discuss what "Process Credit" is and gives some various info on it - payout method, minimum amount, fees, etc.  Some might have gotten here by searching 'Process credit', which is good.  However, there is no mention anywhere on the page about the Limits.

While the Knowledge Base might somewhere hide the detail that your Process Credit limit is tied to your first LindenX transaction and that you must wait 30 days past said transaction, I cannot find such information.  I only know about the 30 day rule, and that the 30 day clock starts with the first LindenX transaction, from the questions and answers in these forums.

clarified a comment
  • Like 2

You all bring up some good points. So here is what we can do, we will get a post setup in the General Discussion forum as a sticky (give me some time to write it), this way all you need to do is link to that post. I think this sounds like a good compromise, what say ye?

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, Tommy Linden said:

You all bring up some good points. So here is what we can do, we will get a post setup in the General Discussion forum as a sticky (give me some time to write it), this way all you need to do is link to that post. I think this sounds like a good compromise, what say ye?

That will be awesome.  Thanks very much !!!!

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Tommy Linden said:

I say aye. :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2017 at 3:14 PM, Tommy Linden said:

Tommy looks around to see where he can find this information and happens to stumble across a link at the top of the page titled Knowledge Base. Clicking into it, not knowing for sure what dangers may be ahead, he is shocked when he realizes he can type in things like "Contact Support" and it brings up an article on how to do so! What kind of strange sorcery is this?!?

In all seriousness though, we understand the need and desire to have some links readily available on the page you are already on, however unfortunately after some discussion it has been determined that the best thing to do, would be direct people to the Knowledge Base, which we do have a link for on every page. The search function is pretty simple, and seems to pull up the relevant correct information.

Omg, I just read this and almost woke patients up with my laughter!

• Like 1
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1222 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.