Different Simulator

princezess

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2515 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I used to get nearby chats when I tp to different sims.  Now some of the nearby chats have stopped working and I get a message after I tp saying,  "The region you have entered is running a different simulator version".  Is that why some of the nearby chats have stopped working?  I am using Firestorm.  How do I find the right simulator to use?

I'm not sure what you mean by "some of the nearby chats have stopped working"..
Can you explain in more detail what's going wrong there?

1 hour ago, princezess said:

"The region you have entered is running a different simulator version"

You'll get that message if the sim version the region is running changes when you move regions.
If you find the alert annoying you can disable it: Preferences -> Notifications -> World -> Untick "Notify if the simulator version changes while changing the region".

1 hour ago, princezess said:

How do I find the right simulator to use?

There is no "right" or wrong simulator version.
Most regions are on the main channel sim version. A percentage of regions are running on test sim versions, RC BlueSteel, RC Le Tigre, RC Magnum & sometimes some other test versions like RC Snack.
If there are no problems seen in the test RC sim versions, one of those will be promoted to the main channel during the Tuesday rolling restarts.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

IMost regions are on the main channel sim version. A percentage of regions are running on test sim versions, RC BlueSteel, RC Le Tigre, RC Magnum & sometimes some other test versions like RC Snack.

According to Linden Lab, ten percent of the sims are on the RC channels.

There is one difference that sometimes can matter: the regular sims have rolling restarts on Tuesdays, the RC channel ones on Wednesdays.

If your land is on an RC channel you'll get most of the server upgrades a week or two earlier. That's generally nice of course but sometimes there is a bug or two that hasn't been quenched yet. In reality it's extremely rare you'll notice any difference at all. Back in the earlier days when LL still believed that progress comes from revolutions rather than evolution, livign on an RC channel sim could be quite ... interesting. They seem to have learned better nowadays though and do their upgrade one little safe step at a time.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, princezess said:

I used to get nearby chats when I tp to different sims.  Now some of the nearby chats have stopped working...

I wonder, might you be referring to chat from a scripted attachment? Scripts can tell when you've teleported to a different region, and can also discover details of the region in which you've arrived including sim version, maturity rating, etc. (Just in case that's relevant.)

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2515 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.