Problems rezzing items from inventory on mesh surfaces -- a solution (I think)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2629 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Probably lots of people know this anyway, but I've only just noticed it and thought it worth sharing.

Most of us will be familiar with the annoying fact that it's normally impossible to rez items from inventory onto a mesh floor, and many of us will probably have adopted the workaround I used until recently -- that is, rez a new prim and use that as a work surface on which to rez objects from inventory, and then move them into position.   

However, completely by accident, I noticed the other day that if first I open my editor (CONTROL + 3) and then, with the editor open, select the item from my inventory and drag it onto the mesh surface, it rezzes without difficulty.    Try to rez it on the same surface with the edit window closed, however, and it doesn't work.  

The trick seems to be, in other words, having the object selected in the editor when it's rezzed (as it is, of course, when you create a new object). 

Edited by Innula Zenovka
  • Like 8

My solution has been to take the item outside and rez it on the ground. I do this because more than once while trying to take a small item, I accidentally took the item i was putting it on top of. Oh look I tried to pick up my sunglasses and ended up taking the whole house away. 

• Like 1

I did the opposite Tali. I rez an invitation onto my deck and somehow it took over all my house textures!!   Then when I removed it, my home was back to (prim box) material and so ugly. And there were no windows either so, so dark inside. Actually it was my partners house and he was away for a week, so I ended up living on the boat, till he got back to fix it. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Innula Zenovka said:

Most of us will be familiar with the annoying fact that it's normally impossible to rez items from inventory onto a mesh floor,

Not normally, no. It used to be a common problem but today any good mesh house maker has learned how to make mesh floors you can rez on. It's not difficult to do once you're aware of the issue.

But yes, there are some old mesh houses around and also some recent builds by unskilled mesh makers so that is still a good tip. Thank you Innula! :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

Not normally, no. It used to be a common problem but today any good mesh house maker has learned how to make mesh floors you can rez on. It's not difficult to do once you're aware of the issue.

Is there a readily accessible account of how the maker of mesh houses can avoid the problem?   If there is, there are a couple of my friends to whom I would like to show it.

Edited by Innula Zenovka

2 hours ago, CheriColette said:

I did the opposite Tali. I rez an invitation onto my deck and somehow it took over all my house textures!!   Then when I removed it, my home was back to (prim box) material and so ugly. And there were no windows either so, so dark inside. Actually it was my partners house and he was away for a week, so I ended up living on the boat, till he got back to fix it. 

I once tried to paint the walls of the bedroom in my boyfriends house and forgot to select the face one time and changed every face in the house to pink, and yes even the windows. he wasn't to concerned when he got back, he just rezzed a new house, and I gave up on the idea of painting the walls, at least until I got my own house.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Talligurl said:

My solution has been to take the item outside and rez it on the ground. I do this because more than once while trying to take a small item, I accidentally took the item i was putting it on top of. Oh look I tried to pick up my sunglasses and ended up taking the whole house away. 

I used to be famous for doing that! (Before I learned to lock my house in place) LOL! I've also been known to retexture my home with photographs, as well. I once accidentally retextured mine and my ex SL husbands home with a rather (cough) naughty photo of the two of us, lmao! 

• Like 1

I SOOOOOOO wish people wouldn't think that the rezzing inside the house issue is intrinsic to mesh builds. It is NOT.  It is only that the mesh maker used bad physics as Whirly said, didn't research (TONS on the Mesh forum about how to solve the issue) or TEST (even adding a prim to the floor would solve the issue) if they didn't make a correct physics model.

It is NOT the fault of MESH!!!! LOL.

Before you buy your next house ASK the builder if you can rez items on the floor!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Innula Zenovka said:

Is there a readily accessible account of how the maker of mesh houses can avoid the problem?

It's in that very helpful and complete mesh building documentation LL published six years ago. Ummm.... I mean the one they were going to publish and promised to publish and would have if only writing documentation hadn't been such boring work. ;)

There are three ways.

The problem only occurs with analyzed physics models and ideally you don't want to use analyzed physics for walkable surfaces anyway since it also has a negative effect on hovering height. Choose "From file" in the physics tab, select a simple cube dae you prepared earlier (size doesn't matter, it'll scale automatically) and ignore all the other physics model settings in the uploader.

But if the floor is thin (and it usually is) and has a stairwell or an irregular outline, you sometimes have to use analyzed physics because of a bug in the LI calculation and a rather crude hack LL implemented to compensate for that bug. In those cases, the best solution is to make the physics model from complete cubes, that is cubes with all six sides included. (Make sure there is a tiny gap between the cubes, if you don't, the analyzer will try to merge them into bigger more complex and less efficient physics shapes.)

The third method is to set the analyze method to "Solid". That'll cause the uploader to fill in any missing sides of the cubes it builds the physics model from. It's never a good idea to trust the uploader to do anything at all (except transfer the files from your computer to the assets server of course) but it usually doesn't mess up this particular job too badly. If you make the physics model right (for analyzed physics only use detached complete cubes and - possibly and rarely - other convex polygons), the analyze method won't make any difference and quite frankly I can't see why "Solid" isn't the default, or even the only, option. On those rare occasions I've seen that analyze method actually made a difference, solid was always the best choice.

6 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

To avoid the problem, make your own physics, don't use the auto-generated physics.

That's right. The High, Medium, Low and Lowest options in the first phsyics menu only allows you to choose one of the LoD models for the physics and they will nearly always include details you don't want in the physics and often omit details you want. The only situation I can think of where it may be a good idea to use the high LoD model for phsyics is for large ground meshes but even in those cases there is a catch or two that may cause problems. I can't think of any actual or theoretical cases where one of the other LoD models would make a good physics model and not choosing a physics model at all is always a bad idea.

• Like 1

I usually just create a small rez platform inside the unit to avoid the issue. Most of the older mesh structures that I own had that problem although thankfully it doesn't seem to be nearly as common as it was. If you replace the floor you can also avoid the issue.

9 hours ago, ChinRey said:

I wish I could name names. Some of the biggest, most well known housing makers still need to take lessons - their latest creations still suffer.

I normally just rez a prim over the floor in each room and alpha it. Makes it easier for guests who might not be aware of the problem in houses released last week by [redacted] and [redacted]

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Callum Meriman said:

I wish I could name names. Some of the biggest, most well known housing makers still need to take lessons - their latest creations still suffer.

Let me put it this way, being good at marketing doesn't necessarily mean you're good at buiding and if you want to succeed as a content creator in Second Life, marketing skills are far more important than building skills.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

I clicked like but  it it is really "sadly agrees."

I think it's inevitable unfortunately. The SL market is so fractured it's extremely hard to be noticed, there is far more supply than demand and in general SL buyers aren't very quality conscious - they tend to buy based on the pictures on MP rather than how things actually look and work inworld. I once had a chat with a well known MP.garbage peddler who also apparently is a fairly successful 3D modeller outside SL. He was very clear about it: he wasn't going to spend time and effort on his SL builds because "people buy it anyway". Cynical yes, but you can't argue against it in a free market.

I have to say though that there are some fairly successful SL stores that sell good quality. There are a few people who actually are good at both, some good marketers hire good builders to buid rather than do it themselves and vice versa and some good builders have managed to succeed through sheer endurance, slowly building their reputation and customer base over the years.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2629 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.