My land was taken away from me.

Tee Bashly

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2531 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My land was taken away from me without any compensation or notification at all.

The property in question is at http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Valis/240/216/122, and it is 512 square meters in size.

A new person now apparently owns this property, somehow. His name is Thom Nissen: 

(secondlife:///app/agent/1ab14df0-91c2-41b0-a1ae-91035f143b73/inspect),

who I am sure is innocent of any wrong-doing. I think the Linden Second Life program made an error in giving my land to him.

He can have it, but I would like an equal property without charge. 

I have tried to contact Linden support over the last couple of weeks to no response whatever.

Hopefully this will get through to someone who can advise me how to correct this dilemma and restore my property rights if not on the original site than on another site of equal value, without charge to me.

Hello, Tee.

I am just a fellow resident, and I've never heard of such a thing happening before.  I am sure Linden Lab support must be just as perplexed as you are over this, hence no response from them yet (I take it you have submitted a support ticket to them).  

Did you take a look at your account - your property holdings? 

If you have no land listed, and you are a premium member, you will just need to choose another 512m of land (or maybe have a Linden Home). 

23 minutes ago, Tee Bashly said:

who I am sure is innocent of any wrong-doing. I think the Linden Second Life program made an error in giving my land to him.

I have tried to contact Linden support over the last couple of weeks to no response whatever.

Hopefully this will get through to someone who can advise me how to correct this dilemma and restore my property rights if not on the original site than on another site of equal value, without charge to me.

there is no other way to change a parcel owner than by selling it. I seriously doubt there's a error.

Another option is you didn't pay your premium subscription, didn't respond and LL put the parcel on auction.

Move on, 512 sqm of land in that category will cost you only a few lindens, nothing more.

Think you can forget the option to get another parcel, unless you go to your dashboard and take a Linden home.

If you were renting that parcel from a landlord rather than LL, you'll have to take up your issue with the landlord. Linden Lab does not get involved in interpersonal disputes, which that would be.

If you were renting the parcel directly from LL, and you haven't opened a support case, you can do so here...

https://support.secondlife.com/create-case/

You can also open a live chat session from that page.

And finally, you should edit your post to remove the name of the current property owner. It's against the forum Community Guidelines to air interpersonal disputes here. And I think there's a good chance the party you've named isn't actually the one you have a dispute with.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tee Bashly said:

Erros do happen. I assume you are sure you paid the premium fee on time?

It is possible that it was marked as abandoned by mistake and auctioned off but that seems rather unlikely. This is one small plot right in the middle of a huge parcel of abandoned land. Normally they would have merged it with the larger parcel rather than auction it off on its own.

Another more likely explanation is that it was marked as being for sale by mistake. Prokofy once mentioned that could happen under certain circumstances. I can't rememebr the details though and it was so long ago it'd be almost impossible to find the thread int he forum by now. In any case, if this is the explanation, ti will show up on your Linden transaction history one way or another.

That is actually rather worrying. Linden Lab are always quick to respond to support cases. They may not always have a good answer but you should expect some sort of response from them within a few days. If you have filed a support ticket and not received any reply you really should contact live chat support.

Yes, that's only fair of course. But I went over and had a look at the plot and to put things into perspective, we're talking about a piece of land with a market value of no more than 512 L$ - about two U.S dollars, possibly less. So if there's any comfort: it's not really a big loss.

You do need to remove the person's name from your post.  Since you posted the location, I called it up on the map and it is Mainland.  So, if you were renting, then you'll need to discuss it with the person you were renting from. If you had previously purchased the land, then you'll need to discuss it with LL - open a support ticket.

This is a strange situation, just based on the information posted in the original post.  I think if I had something like this happen (land I owned showing up with a new owner, without me having abandoned or put the land up for sale) the first thing I would have done would be to contact Live Chat, which is one of the benefits of being a premium member.  Even if they said I needed to create a support ticket, I would have had the opportunity to speak with a support person, and hopefully they could also help if the response on the support ticket was not satisfactory.

I hope this gets resolved for you, or at least that you get some answers that explain what and why this happened to you. 

Linden Labs doesn't just randomly put abandoned land up for auction. Someone has to submit a support ticket expressing their interest in obtaining the land. If it is a worthless irregular shaped parcel beside land you already own that no one else could possible be interested in, they might sell it direct to you. Most times they will list it for auction, high bidder gets it.

So, deliberately or accidentally, the OP either listed his parcel for sale or abandoned it, or his premium membership lapsed

On 13.5.2017 at 5:49 PM, BilliJo Aldrin said:

So, deliberately or accidentally, the OP either listed his parcel for sale or abandoned it, or his premium membership lapsed

Yes but as unbelievable it may sound, there are bugs in the SL software. ;)

It is very unlikely but we can't completely rule out the possibility that the OP's land was bitten by one of those.

2 hours ago, ChinRey said:

On 5/9/2017 at 9:26 PM, ChinRey said:

Yes, that's only fair of course. But I went over and had a look at the plot and to put things into perspective, we're talking about a piece of land with a market value of no more than 512 L$ - about two U.S dollars, possibly less. So if there's any comfort: it's not really a big loss.

$ 512 L is a generous asessment, All he needs to do is find a similar parcel in the middle of nowhere and have LL put it to auction. He'll probably get it for the opening bid of $ 0.5 L per sq m

Just because I am playing hookie (well at least not in Blender) today I went over to see also. 

The land has been someone else's for almost a month. 

And completely  surrounded by abandoned land (not all that odd as I have some plots that are almost surrounded by abandoned land also  :ph34r:)

It is all very odd. I agree that just buying another 512 (would NOT be hard to find a better place IMHO as this is in the gray lava area on the oldest (I think) continent would be a good plan OR opt for a Linden home.

512land.JPG.d26671c8b333e1ce1808442657305af6.JPG

Edit: I have personally had SO MANY issues with the database lately (today yet another trial that I happily could fix) that I would not rule out ChinRey's point. While some things are working wonderfully these days, others are not.

Who know?

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 1

I saw that once long ago on private land. Not sure if it is still around or how well it worked. You might try using those search terms under a land search and see if anything comes up.

You can actually rent cheaper than owning anyway (except for the free tier 512 if you pay by the year which is of COURSE the best deal) :D

7 hours ago, Tweetykbj1993 said:

Does anyone know if its possible to do a rent to own even if you don't have a membership 

You don't need a premium membership to rent a parcel. When you rent, somebody else is the "owner" of the land and you don't deal with Linden Lab directly so what kind of membership you have doesn't matter.

You have to have a premium membership to own land on mainland.

As far as I know, you don't need to be premium to own a private estate but private estates are only sold as full sims and that may be a bit too much for most people.

9 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

as this is in the gray lava area on the oldest (I think) continent

As hard as it is to believe, Gaeta 5 is actually the newest finished continent, except for Zindra and the Linden Homes sims (if you count them as continents). It was supposed to be part of an archipelago of five large islands but LL's heart wasn't really in it. They finished island no. 5, did some half-hearted attempts at no.1 and then they lost interest.

On 15/05/2017 at 9:02 AM, ChinRey said:

As hard as it is to believe, Gaeta 5 is actually the newest finished continent, except for Zindra and the Linden Homes sims (if you count them as continents). It was supposed to be part of an archipelago of five large islands but LL's heart wasn't really in it. They finished island no. 5, did some half-hearted attempts at no.1 and then they lost interest.

The grey area Tee Bashly links to in the original post takes me to the Corsica plateau, which arguably is the first continent, if they mean alphabetically.

Edited by Aethelwine

1 hour ago, Aethelwine said:

The grey area Tee Bashly links to in the original post takes me to the Corsica plateau,

Woops, I got this thread confused with another recent one. Corsica is still one of the most recent continents though (and Chic said "oldest", not "first" ;)) and it actually illustrates very well what happened to mainland continents towards the end. You can see how the LL land developers started in the west full of motivation and ambition and then gradually lost their heart as they worked their way eastwards.

• Like 1

On 15.5.2017 at 0:32 AM, Chic Aeon said:

Edit: I have personally had SO MANY issues with the database lately (today yet another trial that I happily could fix) that I would not rule out ChinRey's point.

The assets database is by far the weakest part of the SL server software. I was hit badly by what seems to have been a database glitch myself earlier this week. To me that was the last straw, I can't go on rebuilding old works just because the database looses them. So I told LL to fix it and gave them a deadline. If they can't or won't come up with a solution, I'm leaving Second Life. As I write this, they still have 13 hours left.

21 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

The assets database is by far the weakest part of the SL server software. I was hit badly by what seems to have been a database glitch myself earlier this week. To me that was the last straw, I can't go on rebuilding old works just because the database looses them. So I told LL to fix it and gave them a deadline. If they can't or won't come up with a solution, I'm leaving Second Life. As I write this, they still have 13 hours left.

What was the glitch?
Just curious as you didn't file a JIRA issue.

Most of the content along the southern edge of one of my sims was suddenly returned to their owners for no apparent reason. That's bad enough in itself but even worse, some items - including some complex custom made key elements of the landscape - never turned up in my inventory at all, they were lost in transfer. I'm not going to rebuild again - I've done that enough times already and even thinking about it makes me feel sick. I can't keep the land as it is now with a big conspicious whole in the build. That leaves me with only one option.

Edit: Of course, I don't know if it was the sim server or the assets server that messed it up this time, that's why I said "probably" in the previous post.

Edited by ChinRey
Adding a disclaimer

18 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

Most of the content along the southern edge of one of my sims was suddenly returned to their owners for no apparent reason. That's bad enough in itself but even worse, some items - including some complex custom made key elements of the landscape - never turned up in my inventory at all, they were lost in transfer. I'm not going to rebuild again - I've done that enough times already and even thinking about it makes me feel sick. I can't keep the land as it is now with a big conspicious whole in the build. That leaves me with only one option.

Edit: Of course, I don't know if it was the sim server or the assets server that messed it up this time, that's why I said "probably" in the previous post.

Hmm there was a server bug that could cause objects to be returned after a roll that was fixed a couple of rolls ago.
http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Server/17#17.04.03.325159
"Fixes an issue where large numbers of objects could be returned after a rolling restart"

16 minutes ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Hmm there was a server bug that could cause objects to be returned after a roll that was fixed a couple of rolls ago.
http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Server/17#17.04.03.325159
"Fixes an issue where large numbers of objects could be returned after a rolling restart"

Ok.

I spent all of yesterday discussing the issue with various Lindens - had to wear out three of them before I finally found a fourth who was actually willing and able to do anything at all. I've done everything they asked me to do. Now it's up to them whether the few thousand dollars I pay them in tier every year are worth a an hour or two of work. I'm beyond caring and besides, we're committing blatant threadjacking here.

Edited by ChinRey
typo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2531 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.