region/estate ban lists

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 91 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello

I am not sure if this is the right forum, I have a strange question, I am a sim owner, and I wonder, how the sim ban is working. Is it based on just the name or is there some other information involved that identifies that avatar? I don't think sim ban lists are based on ip addresses.  

I am asking because one person got ejected (not banned) by a memory usage monitor that usually works pretty well. But this player could not return to the sim anymore, he received the message that he's on the sim ban list. But he was not part of any ban lists, neither region, estate or any parcel. Only when I temporarily removed other names from the region ban list, the player was able to tp back on to the sim. This made me instantly think that one of the banned avis was an alt of the avi in question, but...

...how would the ban list know about alts of an avi?

seemed baffling to me. 

If you region ban Avatar A, alts of Avatar A will not be able to enter that region for a limited time.  That's oversimplifying it a bit but that's basically how it works.
If I remember right, if a region is set to group only access and the region banned avatar is a member of the land group, their alts will still be able to access if also in the land group but the avatar explicitly banned will not be able to access.
Not 100% sure about that though & I can't test it atm.

11 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

If you region ban Avatar A, alts of Avatar A will not be able to enter that region for a limited time. 

I tested this not so long ago.

It doesn't work.

I banned a friend of mine, then asked him to try to get his alt in, his alt was able to enter without an issue.

Hmm it's working ok for me, I just tested it with a couple of alts on my region.
Hard to say why it didn't work for you without knowing exactly how you tested & the region access settings.
I suspect your banned friend didn't attempt to enter into the region after the ban & just came straight in with the alt, in which case it would fail because there was no "fingerprint" stored for the banned account on that region to check the alt against.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 6 years later...
On 5/9/2017 at 7:52 AM, Pamela Galli said:

I can't remember the specifics but for a period after a ban, alts are banned as well. 

mine was banned before I knew it all and I dont even know what I have done

On 5/10/2017 at 6:53 AM, Callum Meriman said:

I tested this not so long ago.

It doesn't work.

I banned a friend of mine, then asked him to try to get his alt in, his alt was able to enter without an issue.

An alt account can get in the region right after the other account has been banned. I've seen it happen a few times in Innsmouth.
Apparently, there is some delay before all accounts are banned.

[EDIT] Oh, I just read what Whirly wrote about it, and it makes sense. So, before all accounts are banned the one that has just been entered to the ban list has to try getting in again.

Edited by MBeatrix
adding info

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 91 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.