Exporting SL Content to other platforms

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2539 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Discussing IP / Copyright law in its totality is beyond this forum and thread. None of us here are lawyers and more specifically none of us here are lawyers that specialize in copyright law. With that being said—a claim could potentially be made for those logos and it would be up to a court to decide. However, someone specializing in copyright law would be able to give some insight into whether or not the basis of a claim is viable.

Back to the OP. As Chic pointed out—there is a path to take to obtain the model that would not result in a TOS violation. That would be to request a developer kit from the creator. Regardless if you intend on distributing it for free, for profit or for personal use—any use of a copybot viewer is against the TOS. I don't think I could be any clearer then that.

6 hours ago, HarrisonMcKenzie said:

Since no one seemed to get it, the first one is for Rogers Communication.

I'm not sure if this would be an IP violation. The swooping pattern is reversed, there's one less piece, and it's a fairly common shape. Additionally, the logo is being used for a very unrelated product, so that gets around arguments of market confusion. If LL broke into the wireless market though...

I have to agree that there is enough difference there, the outline of the swoops, the number of swoops as you say, the thickness, the direction, even the pantone is different (so it won't fall foul of the "Cadbury Purple" tests).

Weirdly, I don't think the lab have registered the trademarks yet. A search of tess shows only 2 registrations, both for the words, neither for the circle. # 86593254 &  # 86593259 

I also believe Rogers don't yet have a USA registration for the circle, they have this one # 75860855 which is rather more generic, a diamond in a circle, no colours registered, no swoops.

But then, Tess can be a pain to search for a pure logo if it's not attached to the corportaion name but to some other entity again.

Back on subject, even if the OP did copy the mesh it would be useless to him, it wouldn't have an armature and likely wouldn't have any weighting to copy to his mesh He is better getting the devkit.

Edited by Callum Meriman

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2539 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.