Yet MORE database issue - Alert

Chic Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2542 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This isn't NEW news, it has been happening for a least a decade, but it seems to be escalating and with the recent threads about MANY people losing thousands of items from their inventory at a gulp, it pretty much fits in.

Today I went over to a venue that opens on the 9th to get a copy of goods to send to bloggers. I had checked and rechecked and RECHECKED my vendors (only two - one fatpack and one gacha) and sent items to an alt who doesn't have modify permissions to make sure things were correct. Like at least an hour worth of checking.  

The permissions had CHANGED.  Both in the copy vendor AND in the gacha (oddly -- or not -- on the same items) HMMMMMM.

I was particularly alert to the issues this month (hence checking ONCE AGAIN before grabbing for the group) because last month at the same venue my gacha machine had been replaced by and older version (sort of like a roleback but not of the sim as the correct gacha was brought over and placed) -- one without a script and one with -- again -- wrong permissions. I lost a lot of sales on the opening day and a half until a customer wrote. Yes, I should have checked but was overbooked and working elsewhere. I WILL BE MORE COGNIZANT in the future. 

So, since there is nothing we can DO about this (including checking several thousand items in stores -- so not going there) I wanted to at least warn merchants that this is happening -- and apparently at an escalated rate. 

It seems fairly logical to assume this has some connection to the other database issues talked about the last few weeks. 

Happily I didn't have any items that had become full perm. That's a relief anyway. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

I have not noticed anything but I haven't been looking. I remember many years ago I experienced that problem with perms tho,

Yes, well.   :D 

When you need to check your vendors daily it gets beyond control.  I don't check my store products (probably over a thousand) but now and then I have a customer write because an item is no longer for sale.  I should say that my "vendors" are not commercial LINKED vendors and may people use those, so this might not affect them at all. All the product vendors (or products) that have changed their states (missing items or changed permissions) were all mesh items that I had made and uploaded. I can't remember any PRIM signs (I don't use tons of those anyway) that had issues.  

Still something to be aware of. It is getting messy -- at least for me. 

On 8-5-2017 at 5:50 AM, Chic Aeon said:

the recent threads about MANY people losing thousands of items from their inventory

the "many" never were proven, most just yell "many" to give more strenght to their post.. nobody came up with numbers.

The many are mostly FEW, and what happened really is in my opinion often questionable...

One poster admitted his many people who had this were 5 people who ever HEARED about it.

Doesn't mean it shouldn't be looked at of course, and fixed.

17 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

the "many" never were proven, most just yell "many" to give more strenght to their post.. nobody came up with numbers.

The many are mostly FEW, and what happened really is in my opinion often questionable...

One poster admitted his many people who had this were 5 people who ever HEARED about it.

Doesn't mean it shouldn't be looked at of course, and fixed.

Well along with the people reporting in this forum (and last guess that I heard only 3% of SL folks actually COME to the forums :D) I know of several people (maybe seven) personally who didn't report here but who talked to me.  If a small amount of people report a problem, to "me" that means there is a fairly good chance of a much bigger issue --- since hardly anyone reports just like most folks (about 1% or less in my personal case) rate products on the Marketplace; we are typically pretty lazy folks. 

I can only verify MY experiences but they are definitely true.  What happens with the information -- it will be interesting to see if anything does.

Mostly THIS post was to warn creators who might get caught like I have twice in less than a month. I lost a fair amount of money on the first round. I plan to be more careful in the future. BUT we should NOT have to do all this extra work (IMHO).

2 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

What happens with the information -- it will be interesting to see if anything does.

Nothing will happen unless one of the "many" reports it on the JIRA, ideally with steps to reproduce or at least the exact date/time/region the problem happened.
Server logs are only kept for ~3 days so reporting  an issue like this with no steps to reproduce what happened > 3days ago probably won't be that much use either, but at least it will be logged on the JIRA.

Edited by Whirly Fizzle

@Whirly Fizzle

I didn't really expect miracles. I am used to losing stuff :D. It seems unlikely that "steps to reproduce" could be found as from reports a lot of DIFFERENT events lead up to the disappearances. Mine certainly have. If it was something simple we as users could just avoid it.   And so far as items seemingly being replaced after rez with items with OLDER items and permissions or items just changing permissions -- "I" wasn't even in the same sim as the thing that changed. So "I" did nothing :D.  And the "older" item (with a different UUID of course) was never IN the sim where it happened. I have had items revert to no buy quite often on my own sim. That isn't a huge issue as someone that wants to buy USUALLY writes and I go fix. 

A mystery. 

I have noticed general inventory database glitches over the past month, worn attachments loading with a wrong location. They were items I was wearing when I logged off, and were in a different position when I logged on.

No, I hadn't been editing anything. I hadn't tweaked the locations at all recently.

I don't know if the SL-end copy of the inventory depends on the same database system as stuff in-world, but it does support the idea that something was happening.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2542 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.