Spring cleaning

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2542 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok, It is time I finally dive into my inventory and organize that mess.

I would love tips, tut's and vid's. I also would love to hear how others did this. Also, I still am being a copy to inventory nerd!, Makes me have everything 4 times and losing a lot too. Tips for that too please :)

I use CTS Wardrobe to help organize and manage. I do a lot of how to videos on that tool and inventory in general.  Can find them on my blog at everythingbutta.net.

Even if you don't use the tool, can't join us in the CTS Wardrobe group in SL. We are always talking shopping and inventory and such.

• Like 1

Here is a rough layout of my top folders -- I use the ! at the front of the top level ones so they sort to the top, before system folders and usually even before any product folders  Within those, I'll sometimes use an _ to bring a folder to the top.  The various special characters are great for getting things in the order you want.  My dresses are the only clothing I sort by creator.  I don't wear enough of the other type of clothing to need to sort it that way.  Some people will further sub-divide their hair and/or shoes, etc... by creator also.

temp.thumb.jpg.ca5cf08bf0789d8c56618b6cf5d9066e.jpg

• Like 1

Typically, when you buy clothing you get a box (or bag, or whatever) and when you unpack it you get a huge amount of files. There might be system clothes, different mesh versions, huds, read-me files, landmarks, thank you notes, etc. Get rid of everything that you don't actually wear. Put the store landmark into your landmark folder (unless you already saved the same landmark from a previous clothing item). Keep the store box in a separate folder with all the other store boxes. Rename files if you can and make them more descriptive so you remember what they are simply by reading the name in inventory.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

Get rid of everything that you don't actually wear.

One exception to this that I'd recommend - if there is a picture of the item, keep it.  Faster to look at a picture than to have to rez or wear something to see what it looks like.

• Like 3

I start to clean,then I get to my notecard folder and start to delete them,trying not to read the names of the cards..

Fails every time..

One will grab my eye and I'll start to read it and start to think back to when it was going on..Then have to read the others around that time..

Finally I end up going into my trash and restoring all the cards  because they became important again..

Dammit!

One of these days I'm just going to click,scroll,shift ,click delete without even looking.. It's about the only way it's gonna happen,I think.

• Like 1

Remember the old saying, Rome wasn't built in a day.  It can seem a daunting task if you are not organized to start with.  There are so many sub folders to make to get everything sorted. 

Start with a root folder and work on one type at a time.  Starting with Clothes, for example.  You can make a folder in there for Dresses and move everything that is a dress in there.  Then make a Tops sub-folder and move all tops in there.  Do this one type at a time until there is nothing left in Clothes except sub folders. Once that is done you can go to the Dresses sub-folder and start making things more granular.  Gowns, tea-length, short, mini, however you want to break them down. 

Do one thing at a time.and it becomes a manageable task.  It also makes it easy to stop and come back later to work on something else.  Plus it gives you a feeling of accomplishment as you have small specific goals that are readily measured. The goal should be to move everything into a system folder and sub-folder.  When you are shopping it is easy to see what is new and what needs to be sorted.

[ETA]
One of the largest and most mixed up folders you will have is usually Objects.  This is also where so much new stuff gets dumped.  When I started cleaning it I created a sub-folder called All Objects and moved everything in there.  That way I could see the new stuff easily.  I would buy a few things and after unpacking the boxes, move that box in to All Objects.  At the very least it makes a clean spot to find and work with new items and is super easy to do as a start.

Edited by Rhonda Huntress
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2542 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.