WHY DONT I HAVE A SIDE TOOL BAR??

struti

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4758 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Sort of getting bored, cant seem to do anything, every thing says i need to be in advanced mode, eg to get free clothing or skins, cant even change my apperance cause i have no side bar. all i can do is walk around talking to people, is there anything you can do with out it costing me money?? or am i doing something wrong

thanks

11 answers to this question

No. If you select Premium membership, THAT costs money. The Free membership is ... well, free. All of this has nothing to do with whether your viewer is in its Basic (beginner-level) mode or its Advanced (normal) mode. The viewer will work fine in either mode, whether you have the Premium or free membership.

Let me try to be even clearer........... LL uses the same word, "BASIC", to mean at least three completely different things. This is confusing to newcomers in Second Life. First, the Basic account level is a free account that lets you do almost anything in SL except own land. I have had a Basic account for 4 years and have been able to rent land and run several businesses. Second, the Basic level in the new official viewer (2.6) is a beginner-level mode for that viewer. It is designed to give newcomers a first-time experience without the potential confusion of "extra" features like inventory. Third, LL's Getting Started guide refers to "basic" skills like flying and teleporting, distinguishing them from other skills like building and handling L$. Personally, I wish LL would find a different word for each of these three concepts. You are not the first SL newcomer to be confused.

• Like 1

You're not doing anything wrong but Advanced (ie; normal) Mode doesn't cost anything so follow Luc's advice and switch over.  Once you're out of (much too) Basic Mode you'll be able to change clothes & appearance, build, sell, give and receive items, etc - everything in SL except rent land directly from Linden Lab.  For that you have to pay to be a premium member, but you can still rent from another resident even without it.

Nice explanation, Rolig. See, that's why you have such a high rank on the community. :)

Don't know how common this kind of confusion of terms is (for lack of a better description), but I think it happens a lot. In my workplace, we have a couple of terms which are used by everybody. Problem is; they mean different things in different departments. :o It keep you alert when you talk to people if nothing else...

- Luc -

I mentioned this cause of confusion to new residents to Lexie and she told me yesterday that the team have now changed the wording on the registration form, so that its says "Free" and "Premium" accounts now instead of using the word Basic.

Hopefully it should stop that happening again.:)

• Like 1

WooHoo! Thank you, Peewee! I can cross that one off my To Do list. I was going to sit down this morning and write her a note myself. I know how easy it can be to grab a common word like "basic" and overuse it, creating ambiguity at every step. This is why we have proofreaders and good ways to get feedback from users.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4758 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.