SL Viewer Crashes on new gaming laptops?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2371 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Howdy,

Has anyone ever encountered an issue where when there's around more than 40 avatars in the parcel the viewer software just crashes with no error message? The more avatars there are, the faster it crashes. This computer doesn't lag but regardless changing graphics settings doesn't help with this issue at all. I have also tried with different avatars.

On my not so awesome laptops, it does not crash, but I just bought a really good gaming laptop and it crashes all the time.

Second Life support doesn't seem to know much about technical stuff, so I am a bit bummed that I spent money just to crash all the time (it does crash every single time in crowded parcels).

Note: It will not crash if I zoom on the floor where I stand.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!

This laptop features:

Graphics Card : Geforce GTX 1060 (6GB GDDR5 192 Bits)

RAM: 16GB DDR4 2133MHz SODIMM ram

CPU: I7 6700HQ 2.60Ghz

Drives:

SSD 256GB

HDD 1TB

Side-note: please do not tell me to use 3rd party software. Second Life viewer is supposed to work isn't it?

Firstly make sure the SL viewer is using your Nvidia card, not the integrated Intel card.
In the top menu bar of the viewer, go to Help -> About Second Life & make sure the "Graphics Card" line shows the Geforce GTX 1060.

I'm guessing you are using the default LL release viewer, which is a 32bit viewer & thus very prone to out of memory crashes in busy places.
Give the LL 64bit project  Alex Ivy viewer a try & see if it stops the crashes.
This is not a TPV, it's a LL viewer.
You can download it here: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Project_Alex_Ivy/5.1.0.504536

• 5 months later...

Did you get this problem resolved eventualy?

I am having this same issue. Not laptop but a PC. The busier the sim the more often it happens, usualy when cam zooming around avatars. Not when I am looking at static objects. I started using the 64 bit viewer linked here but no difference really. Before upgrading my PC (memory and graphics) I never had this problem.

16gb memory
Windows 10
Installed on SSD
Nvidia GTX 1080ti

When the game crashes it just pops back to windows and ot give an error, not in  application or system log either. All updates and latest drivers have been installed.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2371 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.