Rino Magic

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2544 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question: should I really now buy a head skin? I have bought CATWA Daniel head, but I see everyone (well, girls) buying then after a skin. Are the added face skins really better quality than the one that comes with the the current head I have? Why don't they sell like 'blank' heads for less?

While I don't have a Catwa head, most mesh head creators include a basic skin as a bonus item. Now and then they are of excellent quality but mostly mesh head folks -- well, make HEADS. 

So yes, you could easily find a better skin for your head, but you will need to shop and not all skin appliers are equal. Be sure and ALSO pay attention to the body skin that comes with the head as some skin makers do very nice heads and pretty lousy bodies. You may also be able to get a group gift skin for that head that you like so check out that option when you are shopping.

Meanwhile you have the default skin for that head, so you won't have to go around all "white" when looking.   While I don't KNOW this, I suspect the blank white head would be the same price without the skin.  

Be sure and DEMO the skins on your head before buying. 

• Like 1

You don't have to buy a new head applier at all, if you don't want to. Catwa's male heads ship with default skins by Clef de Peau, which is a well-known male skin brand in SL. If you don't have a mesh body, you can pick up a base system skin to match the head at Clef de Peau's mainstore (or you can likewise pick up appliers for most of the popular mesh bodies at the same store).

However, if you stick with the default shape and head applier, you'll look like every other guy who does the same. Daniel is a Bento head, which means you can use the default shape sliders to edit the head (or even buy a new shape that's made to give a specific look for the Daniel head). You can also make it look completely different using different skin appliers. Many appliers come with their own shapes, which you can wear as-is, or tweak to your liking. You can even wear the shape intended for one skin applier under another skin applier and get some fantastic and unexpected results from that.

A few examples of what I've done with the Daniel head. A few shape tweaks, and four different skin appliers all give completely different looks:

same head different appliers.jpg

• Like 1

@Chic Aeon I so completely agree with you. Some creators do a wonderful job on the head itself but their body appliers leave a lot to be desired. I will not buy a skin if there is no demo for the body appliers and its crazy that there are still vendors not offering one. I was just at a store the other day and noticed there wasn't a demo for the body appliers. I wrote the creator and politely asked if one was available or if I was missing something. She admitted that so many people ask for it but hadn't made them available yet (this was not a novice creator mind you). It was nice that she offered to show me the skin on her body but as all know that is of limited use.

@Rino Magic Like Chic suggested, the skin is a bonus and most mesh head creators will try and partner with a recognized brand because that does add value to the product itself. Personally I have never used the default skins out of sampling them but I do know some people that do. For those on a tight budget it is a blessing. If you like the look then rock it!

I think guys do the same, so it isn't just limited to girls. Buying a skin from another creator is just another forum of customization. Don't feel obligated too.

4 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

You don't have to buy a new head applier at all, if you don't want to. Catwa's male heads ship with default skins by Clef de Peau, which is a well-known male skin brand in SL. If you don't have a mesh body, you can pick up a base system skin to match the head at Clef de Peau's mainstore (or you can likewise pick up appliers for most of the popular mesh bodies at the same store).

However, if you stick with the default shape and head applier, you'll look like every other guy who does the same. Daniel is a Bento head, which means you can use the default shape sliders to edit the head (or even buy a new shape that's made to give a specific look for the Daniel head). You can also make it look completely different using different skin appliers. Many appliers come with their own shapes, which you can wear as-is, or tweak to your liking. You can even wear the shape intended for one skin applier under another skin applier and get some fantastic and unexpected results from that.

A few examples of what I've done with the Daniel head. A few shape tweaks, and four different skin appliers all give completely different looks:

same head different appliers.jpg

And I "vote for" top right.  I seem to always take the bad boys (not just the avatar) LOL. That's a good look.

I would like to get some male gear for a friend or myself (the friend would be more helpful though for photos as I can't be in the same place at once except on Opensim).   So can you tell me whose skin that is. I am SO not familiar with guy stuff. 

You DO always of course "look good". 

7 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

They match L'Etre's skins, none of which are on sale at the moment.

Stray Dog will release his own skin line soon.

For l'etre, seems they have DMCA claim to handle, hope it's solved very soon, because i'm also using Stray Dog head appliers.

Since Skell is blackhaired, I would like to show a blonde alternative. Or two. Same wyebrows in each image. (From Clef de Peau) I think eyebrows really changes skins.

The left skin is the same as Skell's top left skin. The right one is Hermonys skin, also from TMD this month.

I can't decide. I love both skins so much. I am looking for a freckles applier now, since neither skins has enough freckles. Then I get into trouble with beards. One of the beards use cheek (blusher) layer plus top hairbase. I do wish Catwa changed the layer systems on the male heads. A whole page of default lipsticks?

blonde collage.jpg

Edited by Marianne Little

A small sensation, Aeros skins has released an Catwa applier, plus signature appliers, at TMD.

I have heard guys say they will not change to mesh before Aeros start with mesh (or mesh appliers).

(Personally, I didn't like that skin. My Linden balance says thank god for that)

Edited by Marianne Little

@Chic Aeon Thank you! That applier is 'Liam' by Avenge, and it's only available for the Catwa head.

@Alwin Alcott I saw the notice on the wall in L'Etre yesterday. That's the second DMCA they've fought in as many months. They came back with new skins, and got walloped with another one within a couple of weeks. Can't help but think someone has it in for them, but I don't know the ins and outs of it all. From the tone of their notice, they're going to fight it in court, so they're clearly very certain of their position.

@Marianne Little I tried the demo of that Aeros skin because I, too, was excited to see them finally making appliers. To my disappointment there's no browless option on the head applier, and the brows on that skin are far too unkempt and thick for Skell. I would prefer to be able to wear my own choice of brows with that skin. The body applier, too, is Signature-only (a body I don't own and don't wish to purchase). I know they have a Slink body applier at their mainstore, but I'm loath to spend L$1000 on a single skintone body applier, however much I love their skins.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

Stray Dog will release his own skin line soon.

For l'etre, seems they have DMCA claim to handle, hope it's solved very soon, because i'm also using Stray Dog head appliers.

And that can't happen fast enough. Even if the neck match is ok, L'etre has so many versions of their tans, they are slightly off, or buy a new applier. I don't care end tint either body, or head, to match.

What I really don't like, is that even with a neck match, the shading and highlights don't look good for Stray Dog. On their Tyler head applier, the dark color goes to blue-ish, while L'etres goes more to warm. It looks really bad - in my opinion.

19 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

@Elora Lunasea It's the 'Sean' applier by Stray Dog, currently out at The Mens Dept. Sadly, right now, you won't find body appliers for it. They match L'Etre's skins, none of which are on sale at the moment.

Thanks Skell. I was considering it for my male alt.  I've been sorely disappointed with most male appliers - most are far too youthful in appearance.  I never liked younger men :D

I purchased Sean to match the previous L'Etre body applier I have (Golden) and it worked out perfectly.  I'm much happier with his appearance now. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2544 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.