Flip normals VERTICES not FACES in 2.78c

Chic Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1978 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Long ago and far away (like several years) there was a post on flipped normals -- VERTICES NOT FACES. At that time you could fix them in Maya but not in Blender. I had an issue back then but dealing with it was beyond my skill level. Still, I copied down the info onto a stickynote. Amazingly I still had it on my desktop. It reads:

possible vertex normal fix ---    

Select one of the 2 Quads
    Triangulate the Quad
    Mesh -> Edges -> Rotate Edge CW

Check if the problem goes away. If so, then keep the triangulated quad as it is so that upon export the rotated edge keeps as it is.

I can try that, but my actual question is -- is there a real fix for this now in Blender? For the problem I have, it isn't looking like it will fix things. I can't find those threads. 

Thanks. 

PS. Tried that. Didn't help. Any other suggestions appreciated. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
adding to

1 hour ago, Chic Aeon said:

I can try that, but my actual question is -- is there a real fix for this now in Blender? For the problem I have, it isn't looking like it will fix things. I can't find those threads. 

Thanks. 

Perhaps this thread was what you were thinking of

or this one 

Drongles posts not mine ........

You didn't make it very clear exactly what your problem was Chic !  Anyways if it was about editing normals in Blender there was some good news anounced this week. Blender is having another go at getting editing normals more user freindly sponcered by your frieind Google :)

https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/projects/?sp-page=2#5878855406452736

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Aquila Kytori said:

Perhaps this thread was what you were thinking of

or this one 

Drongles posts not mine ........

You didn't make it very clear exactly what your problem was Chic !  Anyways if it was about editing normals in Blender there was some good news anounced this week. Blender is having another go at getting editing normals more user freindly sponcered by your frieind Google :)

https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/projects/?sp-page=2#5878855406452736

Well after a few tries with "fixes" that didn't fix, I did a workround and edited the texture in my graphics program and tinted  the metal slighting and you can't SEE the issue although it wasn't fixed.  Inserting a screenshot but for whatever reason I don't seem to be able to MOVE the screenshot. Will try again or come back and edit FLIPPEDNORMAL VERTEX.JPG:D

OK.  Back.   So at one time that "leg" (it is a round table with top and bottom) was over where the now problematic face is.  I moved the leg and filled in the faces that were left empty. In that process Blender got confused and flipped the vertices (not the face and I know you know that but not everyone knows that is even possible LOL).  So what happened when baking and in world is that the face left took the light differently. 

It was VERY obvious when a specular shine was used. 

Again, it is worked around this time and once every three years when I work every day -- it isn't a huge issue. But it is VERY NICE to know they are working on this.  I could have deleted the bottom of the table  of course and started over so to speak, but I was trying to see if the methods given worked.  I will go back and look at the other suggestions but if there will be a PLANNED new method, that is best. 

table.thumb.png.f36d14b2dba886f7fd901cbd23adab40.png

Thanks so much for the update!

And now I FINALLY figured out the photo inserting. Sometimes I am spectacularly dense. 

Onward. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
adding photo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1978 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.