Chat / messaging without viewer?

onedarkflame

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2545 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hey all,

I was wondering if there was any way to stay in touch with SL friends outside of using an actual viewer, like maybe a kind of chat or messaging app?

I already looked for a mobile app and learned there is none (I'm on iOS and outside the US), but I was wondering if there's some kind of text-only messaging system that either works on a phone or on a computer without installing any software. I'd like to use it from work here and there but can't install a viewer or other software on my computer there.

4 answers to this question

You can send personal messages here in the forums, but if you want to send a message to someone in world, you have to be in world yourself, and that means having a viewer.  The only exception is that you can reply to an IM that was forwarded to your e-mail, if you reply within 5 days.  It's muchg slower than chat, obviously, because you have to wait for e-mail to forward messages.  Just remember to reply within 5 days, before the temporary e-mail address disappears.

• Like 4

@Rolig Thank you very much. That does indeed seem like more of a hassle than it is worth, so I'll probably just be patient and wait til I get home or make some forum friends, too.

@Nalates I did that just today and it came up empty. From old threads I already saw that Android users were luckier in general but even the few options I read about being discussed for iOS users couldn't be found in the German Appstore.

Thank you both for replying. :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2545 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.