onedarkflame

Chat / messaging without viewer?

Question

Hey all,

I was wondering if there was any way to stay in touch with SL friends outside of using an actual viewer, like maybe a kind of chat or messaging app?

I already looked for a mobile app and learned there is none (I'm on iOS and outside the US), but I was wondering if there's some kind of text-only messaging system that either works on a phone or on a computer without installing any software. I'd like to use it from work here and there but can't install a viewer or other software on my computer there.

4 answers to this question

You can send personal messages here in the forums, but if you want to send a message to someone in world, you have to be in world yourself, and that means having a viewer.  The only exception is that you can reply to an IM that was forwarded to your e-mail, if you reply within 5 days.  It's muchg slower than chat, obviously, because you have to wait for e-mail to forward messages.  Just remember to reply within 5 days, before the temporary e-mail address disappears.

• Like 4

I suggest you visit the iApp store and search on Second Life. I use Android and the the Play Store has some apps for SL that I haven't seen before. Maybe the same is true on the Apple App's.

@Rolig Thank you very much. That does indeed seem like more of a hassle than it is worth, so I'll probably just be patient and wait til I get home or make some forum friends, too.

@Nalates I did that just today and it came up empty. From old threads I already saw that Android users were luckier in general but even the few options I read about being discussed for iOS users couldn't be found in the German Appstore.

Thank you both for replying. :)

There is actually no app on Apple Appstore for SL. Some say but they only take money and play videos or give useless advice howto play.

Not only the german appstore it´s worldwide- nothing.

Monti