ღ Which is better?? ღ

MayaSkyrose

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2537 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'd like to do some research before I would like to decide to either rent or buy any land or skybox from anyone. Which one would you think is the best to go with? Since I don't really know much about renting/owning land or a skybox in that matter! Lol I'm like a noob with no knowledge of rent in sl even tho I am an old player. I am thinking of going to membership for secodlife and I want to experience renting/owning something that I can decorate myself the way I want.. I don't need hundred of miles of land just for a few items and a house :P 

So my question is which one would you pick from the two land or skybox? 

* Why would you pick that one? 

* What's the difference between renting a piece of land or renting a skybox? 

* Private or Mainland? 

Another question. If you don't want your linden home anymore and abandon it, what happens with the 512 land plot your house sits on by the other ones? Will that deduct some land off of the mainland you rent from someone else? Or do you have to own it?? Or is that not the case at all?

Sincerely maya, Thxs :* 

Edited by MayaSkyrose

1 hour ago, Alwin Alcott said:

Sorry :S I have had many windows n notes open and didn't realize this one was discussion I fixed it for asking questions about which one would be better for skybox or land. I hope that is okay to put here! 

47 minutes ago, MayaSkyrose said:

I hope that is okay to put here! 

yes of course :)

starting with your last new question... you premium tier free land, can not be used in private estates/sims , and not when renting from another resident. It counts only for mainland, and Linden Home you own yourself.

The answer on your other questions is mainly a matter of what you want yourself, All have their pro and contras.

Mainland.. depending only on the maturity zoning .. you can nearly do anything you want.

Estate/private rentals nearly always have limitations and restrictions in the use and or theme of the land. So.. less freedom in that matter.

The difference between land rental and skybox, depends on the rental itself.. when you rent on land, you mostly rent the total use of a parcel. So nobody lives above or under you. Skyboxrentals however, often rent out in layers.. you could have ten neighbourgs above and under you. In this case you only rent the use of a amount of prims, and a restricted height above a parcel where your skybox is.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

yes of course :)

starting with your last new question... you premium tier free land, can not be used in private estates/sims , and not when renting from another resident. It counts only for mainland, and Linden Home you own yourself.

The answer on your other questions is mainly a matter of what you want yourself, All have their pro and contras.

Mainland.. depending only on the maturity zoning .. you can nearly do anything you want.

Estate/private rentals nearly always have limitations and restrictions in the use and or theme of the land. So.. less freedom in that matter.

The difference between land rental and skybox, depends on the rental itself.. when you rent on land, you mostly rent the total use of a parcel. So nobody lives above or under you. Skyboxrentals however, often rent out in layers.. you could have ten neighbourgs above and under you. In this case you only rent the use of a amount of prims, and a restricted height above a parcel where your skybox is.

Okay. I see where that would make since I just got home from a BBQ (it turned bad) but since mainland Is to do basically everything I'd probably go with that instead of going to rent off of private estates because I can always still add a security orb to keep away all the creeps im someone who wants to decorate, and have fun with no stress or drama in sl. 

9 hours ago, MayaSkyrose said:

Another question. If you don't want your linden home anymore and abandon it, what happens with the 512 land plot your house sits on by the other ones? Will that deduct some land off of the mainland you rent from someone else? Or do you have to own it?? Or is that not the case at all?

If you are Premium, you can either get a Linden home or use the 512 yourself.  "Some" mainland landlords will let you donate the 512 towards their group and give you a discount on the rent for it.  Otherwise, you would buy some land and use the 512 towards the tier for that land.

I always suggest that you either use a Linden home for a bit or rent somewhere for a bit before buying anything.  Then you can get a feel for how much space you might really want.

ETA:  You can do the rental, either mainland or estate, without becoming Premium.  That might be a good start to just get a feel for what kind of place you want and where you might like.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

If you are Premium, you can either get a Linden home or use the 512 yourself.  "Some" mainland landlords will let you donate the 512 towards their group and give you a discount on the rent for it.  Otherwise, you would buy some land and use the 512 towards the tier for that land.

I always suggest that you either use a Linden home for a bit or rent somewhere for a bit before buying anything.  Then you can get a feel for how much space you might really want.

ETA:  You can do the rental, either mainland or estate, without becoming Premium.  That might be a good start to just get a feel for what kind of place you want and where you might like.

Indeed! I will have to think about everything and decide which path to go from to start out from. I can't wait lol! 

33 minutes ago, MayaSkyrose said:

Indeed! I will have to think about everything and decide which path to go from to start out from. I can't wait lol! 

The best I can do for advice is tell a story. 

My first apartment was $25 a week (this was over nine years ago but the price isn't much different now -- or the place as I went to check it out LOL). Still you can get some almost free apartments and I personally think that is a good way to start. You can see what you like and adjust from there. You can spend PLENTY of time apartment or house hunting. You can spend as much time if you get ready to buy. IF you buy mainland though, you need to be premium.  

You can RENT most any size of land in SL and on the mainland through the right people it is cheaper than paying tier on the same land. If you go with someone who has been renting land for years you are pretty safe. Still, I always pay a week at a time just in case.

Many mainland rentals let you do most of what you could do if you owned the land including terraforming -- just check the info that goes along with that parcel. 

I know it isn't a lot of RL money to jump into SL and buy a big hunk of land, but really -- if you equate SL to RL in any way, then being cautious and learning before jumping in is a wise plan.

Most of all, have fun. 

10 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

The best I can do for advice is tell a story. 

My first apartment was $25 a week (this was over nine years ago but the price isn't much different now -- or the place as I went to check it out LOL). Still you can get some almost free apartments and I personally think that is a good way to start. You can see what you like and adjust from there. You can spend PLENTY of time apartment or house hunting. You can spend as much time if you get ready to buy. IF you buy mainland though, you need to be premium.  

You can RENT most any size of land in SL and on the mainland through the right people it is cheaper than paying tier on the same land. If you go with someone who has been renting land for years you are pretty safe. Still, I always pay a week at a time just in case.

Many mainland rentals let you do most of what you could do if you owned the land including terraforming -- just check the info that goes along with that parcel. 

I know it isn't a lot of RL money to jump into SL and buy a big hunk of land, but really -- if you equate SL to RL in any way, then being cautious and learning before jumping in is a wise plan.

Most of all, have fun. 

Thanks for your story! xD I will most likely go explore placed that have rentals and see what they offer I'm sure some people charge differently or do it there own way and I try to be the most kind person their is... Untill someone screws me over. 

Payment by week

Yeah I agree I would rather do that unless they are truely trust worthy or if I find a friend with land and we become really good friends. 

Own/renting land

I will most likely rent untill I find something I want to own in the beachy area of the sims/regions. But I still wouldn't need but "Maybe" 400-450 prims to add all my stuff, and whether to keep the house they have on it or put mine (in order to put mine I would have to buy)

For me I rent, I rent in the mainland because I want neighbors, I am not into the whole private little spot sealed off from anyone else thing. I have rented various different places in SL, that is the thing about renting, you pay week to week, and can move someplace else any time you want. I have also at various times found guys who will let me build on their land, so I get the use of it rent free, true all but the current place were temporary, but when you have to go you pick up your things and move on.

2 hours ago, Talligurl said:

For me I rent, I rent in the mainland because I want neighbors, I am not into the whole private little spot sealed off from anyone else thing. I have rented various different places in SL, that is the thing about renting, you pay week to week, and can move someplace else any time you want. I have also at various times found guys who will let me build on their land, so I get the use of it rent free, true all but the current place were temporary, but when you have to go you pick up your things and move on.

Yup and I want a forever place to rent and maybe buy later on and not get kicked.. Because someone else needs it. 

Edited by MayaSkyrose

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2537 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.