is there ever a sale on linden $?

latinatransgirl

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2545 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

6 answers to this question

4 minutes ago, latinatransgirl said:

i dunno something like 30 percent off or something? im looking into making my purchase. probably around 30-50 US. and just curious if they ever have any sales. ive seen the exchange rate but that usually only amounts to a few dollars off. 

Almost all of the L$ you buy are actually being sold by other residents, just like real world currency markets. For that reason, there are never "sales". The exchange rate may fluctuate a little in response to market conditions, but that's not something you can really use to hunt for bargains.

Even if some resident had a philanthropic seizure and offered all their L$ at 30% off, there would be enough limit buy orders pending to soak it all up in a heartbeat.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 1

A "sale" on L$?  O.o  Would you go to your bank in RL and expect them to have a 30% money sale?

I think the OP has a fundamental misunderstanding about what the LindeX is.  It is not a shop.  It is a currency exchange, like any RL currency exchange or stock exchange.  It doesn't "sell" L$ at all.  It is a place where SL residents exchange their $ for L$, or vice versa.  As in any RL currency exchange, anyone with $ or L$ may offer to exchange them with anyone else.  The exchange rate is determined by agreement between the "seller" and the "buyer".  Linden Lab is not involved in the transaction, except in managing the flow of cash and taking a small transaction fee. 

I strongly suggest reading the TOS (sect 4.5 and 4.6) very carefully until you understand them.

• Like 4

thanks for info. just out of curiosity the people that have it to sell? where do they get it? i mean eventually their supply would run out right? does SL supply with more? do they have such a great SL buisness it just keeps coming in? and oh yeah random thought on the exchange its currently saying 2 days to complete any order. it just said 10 minutes maybe 2 days ago. even at the lowest exchange rate at 5.00 it still says 2 days

Since everything in SL is virtual, we'll never run out of L$.  Quite a few folks really do make enough in their SL business to sell the L$ and even take some out to RL $. 

If you don't want to wait the "estimated" 2 days for the buy, simply cancel the existing order and do the "Instant Buy" option.

5 minutes ago, latinatransgirl said:

thanks for info. just out of curiosity the people that have it to sell? where do they get it? i mean eventually their supply would run out right? does SL supply with more? do they have such a great SL buisness it just keeps coming in? and oh yeah random thought on the exchange its currently saying 2 days to complete any order. it just said 10 minutes maybe 2 days ago. even at the lowest exchange rate at 5.00 it still says 2 days

As with real currency markets, the initial supply of L$ is manufactured out of thin air by Linden Lab. They may participate in the market (again with manufactured L$) to keep supply steady, but the vast majority of transactions are between residents.

• Like 1

The price of the $L is generally pretty stable, varying up and down only a small amount.  However, every once in a while, something happens...the price will jump way up, or fall way down, just like the stock market does.  This does not happen very often, because LL will intervene and buy or sell blocks of $L to stabilize the market.  But it does happen.  If you want to participate in this sort of "sale" on  Linden Dollars, here's what to do.

Put in a Limit Buy order.  Since the current price is around $L 252/$1 USD, and you say you're hoping for a 30% discount, make your offer to buy, say, $20 worth of $L at a rate of $L 336 per $1 USD.  Your payment method will be charged the $20, but you will not receive any $L until and unless the exchange rate hits 336:1.  If you get tired of waiting (and frankly, I think you would wait a VERY long time for this rate) you can cancel the order and submit another at a more realistic rate, or simply make a Market Buy and get your $L at the current rate.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2545 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.