How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

8 hours ago, Lewis Luminos said:

Yes. Perceptive of you! That's pretty close to the effect I was going for. Including the costume drama!

ETA: Do you know what the movie playing in the video is? That's Keira Knightley, right?

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra

5 hours ago, Seicher Rae said:

Oh, Yorkshire Moors is still around? Pink did such a good job on that. One of my favorite places. I need to put that on my to do list. :::looks for list, thinking I need to make a note on list to find list:::

Not sure if it's the same place, but I'll shoot you the LM when I'm on next!

It's an odd place, on a platform some 1500m (?) up. When I took the pics there, I noticed that there is, literally, some kind of weird writing in the sky . . .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Eva Knoller said:

I am wearing another new hair today, along with my Hair Hoe shirt! Thank you, Taya! It is official now. :)  @Angelina String

Hair.thumb.png.1e9d34d9a5148e51b7f46411d71f38e2.png

Looks good on you, Eva - more so the hair than the shirt... We have a saying here in Norway that goes alonng the lines “Anyting suits a beautiful lady”, and that’s what saves the tee here ;)  Not my best work that one, but it gets the message through  at least :P 

Edited by Angelina String
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Angelina String said:

Looks good on you, Eva - more so the hair than the shirt... We have a saying here in Norway that goes alonng the lines “Anyting suits a beautiful lady”, and that’s what saves the tee here ;)  Not my best work that one, but it gets the message through  at least :P 

Well I think you did a great job. A million times better than any attempt that I would make with mesh. And it came in a Taya’s shopping bag too! ❤️

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Angelina String said:

Wouldn’t that be “Pride and Prejudice” from 2005 with Matthew Macfadyen as her Mr. Darcy?

Yes!! I think you must be right. Not a bad movie: I liked Knightley in it, and of course Donald Sutherland and Judi Dench! But Darcy was way too young and pretty.

(I mean, from the perspective of the original novel. I don't necessarily object, personally, to young and pretty leading men in films.)

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Yes!! I think you must be right. Not a bad movie: I liked Knightley in it, and of course Donald Sutherland and Judi Dench! But Darcy was way too young and pretty.

(I mean, from the perspective of the original novel. I don't necessarily object, personally, to young and pretty leading men in films.)

I liked him as Darcy, but he just can’t compare to my man Colin. 😉

A83CEA03-EE93-44E8-85EF-3AECDCC77C57.png.fab21db3ab22e9d9711fe4ba3ec4250a.png

• Like 4

So, last night I had a bit of leisure to once again go through some of my Aunt Winnie's journal and pics, and made what I think is at least a modestly exciting discovery. The mysterious "F" in some of Winnie's diary entries and pics is, I think, someone named "Freddie."

I found this snapshot. It's kind of interesting because it's the first I've seen that is apparently "candid" and not posed. More interestingly, though, this is written in pencil on the back:

On way to d out with Freddie to celebrate the pact
A very silly picture

I don't think it's going too far out on limb to surmise that this "Freddie" is one and the same as "F," and I think I found some confirmation in her diary as well. The scribble on the pic mentions a "pact," so I did a little research into this, and the only thing that seems to fit the general time frame of the pic (which must be 1928 or 1929, anyway, to judge by Winnie's appearance) is the Kellogg-Briand Pact, which was an international treaty signed (by Germany) on 27 August, 1928, renouncing "war as an instrument of national policy." Apparently it was quite a big thing (and, apparently, it is still in force today!)

So, I went to Winnie's diary and looked up entries for late August. Sure enough, I found this:

27 Aug. A very great deal of excitement today everywhere about the K-B Pact, and that Germany has signed on with France and America. F snorted (in a rather unpleasant way, I thought, although I didn't say so) when I said it was a good thing if it stopped more wars. F doesn't think it will do that at all, but he says that it means that G has at last been acceppted [sic] again as a full nation by other countries, and that is why it's a good thing.

I suppose that is a good thing, but I was sorry to hear him say that it won't help peace, and told him so. Other people can care about ideals and things like peace and freedom and justice, I don't see why he should always be so cynical.

SO, that would seem to confirm that "F" is Freddie!

Now, if I only knew who "Freddie" was . . .

Sometimes dipping into Aunt Winnie's diary seems a bit too much like real work.

Winnie-Unguarded-Blank.thumb.png.0ed39f34c96ebecbef7673a5088e821e.png

• Like 21

19 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Yes. Perceptive of you! That's pretty close to the effect I was going for. Including the costume drama!

ETA: Do you know what the movie playing in the video is? That's Keira Knightley, right?

Definitely looks like Kiera Knightley, I'd guess that it's shots from the first Pirates of the Carribean, but it's such a short clip, it's almost impossible to say for sure. 

• Like 1

Well didn't this backdrop come up at the perfect moment, after someone suggested that I shouldn't "have an attitude" on my own blog, because it might make me look bad.

People tell me to shut my mouth.
That I might get burned.
Keep your beautiful lies, 'cause I'm not concerned.

49066987311_1f05a55b73_h.jpg

• Like 26