How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

22 hours ago, Amanda Dallin said:

With all the sisters around here I created an alt for my evil twin Laura Dallin the Pirate.  Well I created the account over 2 years ago but finally go around to outfitting her to sail.

48811797721_2da40ee2fa_h.jpg

She's mostly for sailing so I've kept her simple.  No mesh head or body.  I'll eventually get all that but I want to keep her inventory small.  I've noticed region crossings are much smoother with her than with Amanda.  I think having an inventory of less than 4000 loads in the region a bit faster than an inventory of 140,000.

So you'll know... Regions do not load inventory. So, 500 or 500,000 items in inventory won't make a difference to the region. Inventory is a viewer and backend sort of thing. About all a region does inventory-wise is relay what you are wearing to other avatars and that is just a matter of passing UUIDs.

Inventory size will, however, affect your initial login. If your inventory is flat (everything in one folder) it can cause an inventory load timeout and prevent login. Support has to fix it before you can login again. Inventory size, structure, and connection speed and quality affect when the problem pops up. Generally 5k items in a single folder is where problems start.

What makes a huge difference in crossing regions it the script load your avatar is wearing. All the scripts and all their data have to be packaged, compressed, and sent to the region you are entering. The new region reads the package, decompresses it. loads the scripts and their data then starts them running. Over or near 3MB of scripts will eventually start to cause problems. Hit a lagging region with a heavy script load wearing avatar and a sailboat may sail on without you. 

The second most problematic is the number of attachments. Fewer is better. Also if you stack several of them on a single attachment point you are likely to drop some of the last attached attachments as you cross regions. 

Experiment with you large inventory avatar. Make a sailing outfit with super low ARC/CPI and no scripts.

HOWEVER... you have a pretty awesome pirate captain there.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

26 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

So you'll know... Regions do not load inventory. So, 500 or 500,000 items in inventory won't make a difference to the region. Inventory is a viewer and backend sort of thing. About all a region does inventory-wise is relay what you are wearing to other avatars and that is just a matter of passing UUIDs.

Inventory size will, however, affect your initial login. If your inventory is flat (everything in one folder) it can cause an inventory load timeout and prevent login. Support has to fix it before you can login again. Inventory size, structure, and connection speed and quality affect when the problem pops up. Generally 5k items in a single folder is where problems start.

What makes a huge difference in crossing regions it the script load your avatar is wearing. All the scripts and all their data have to be packaged, compressed, and sent to the region you are entering. The new region reads the package, decompresses it. loads the scripts and their data then starts them running. Over or near 3MB of scripts will eventually start to cause problems. Hit a lagging region with a heavy script load wearing avatar and a sailboat may sail on without you. 

The second most problematic is the number of attachments. Fewer is better. Also if you stack several of them on a single attachment point you are likely to drop some of the last attached attachments as you cross regions. 

Experiment with you large inventory avatar. Make a sailing outfit with super low ARC/CPI and no scripts.

HOWEVER... you have a pretty awesome pirate captain there.

I"m an expert on low arc and no scripts for sailing.  Maybe inventory size isn't whats doing it but the newer avie is making xings smoother than the my main avatar.  The problem isn't complexity/arc and scripts though since I have sailing outfits that are very low in those.  I delete scripts from copies of anything i'm wearing.  I've even re-textured clothing with smaller textures.  I only use huds necessary to sail the ship.

Ship battles put a heavier load on a region than just sailing.  A few years ago (5 or 6) when we still had pirate battles in Blake Sea, a Linden technician showed up because he's seen load spikes in the regions where we had regular battles and wanted to see what was going on.  He made a point of coming back regularly for 5 or 6 months to monitor the load we were putting on them. I also talked him into buying a ship and got to shoot at a Linden a few times.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Amanda Dallin said:

I"m an expert on low arc and no scripts for sailing.  Maybe inventory size isn't whats doing it but the newer avie is making xings smoother than the my main avatar.  The problem isn't complexity/arc and scripts though since I have sailing outfits that are very low in those.  I delete scripts from copies of anything i'm wearing.  I've even re-textured clothing with smaller textures.  I only use huds necessary to sail the ship.

Ship battles put a heavier load on a region than just sailing.  A few years ago (5 or 6) when we still had pirate battles in Blake Sea, a Linden technician showed up because he's seen load spikes in the regions where we had regular battles and wanted to see what was going on.  He made a point of coming back regularly for 5 or 6 months to monitor the load we were putting on them. I also talked him into buying a ship and got to shoot at a Linden a few times.

Shooting a Linden and not getting banned, YAY! 😄 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

12 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

I hate to contradict anyone who knows so much more about the infrastructure of SL than I do, Nalates...but my experience parallels Amanda's.  Yes, a small inventory speeds up logins...but it also demonstrably speeds up teleports.  According to Desmond Shang, a large friends list also affects performance.

• Like 3