How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

5 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

This is actually a concern of mine, and has been for a while. The "likes" thing is definitely a double-edged sword. That said, almost no one who posts a pic here gets fewer than 10 or so likes: in comparison with the way that these are doled out on the rest of the forum, that should be seen as very affirming indeed.

I'm not about to start lecturing people on how they should be apportioning out their "likes": everyone has their own approach to this, and mine (I like pretty much everything) has its advantages and disadvantages. In terms of the latter, it can be argued that my "like" is devalued precisely because I am so generous in giving it out.

But then, I see a "like" not as an evaluation or a judgement, nor even as a "participation prize," but rather as a kind of "thank you" to anyone who has taken what is, for many, the bold step of sharing their very personal art with me and everyone else here.

I think it behooves us to distinguish a bit between 'Liking' in general, and 'Liking' in this particular thread. One might think only the latters matters here, but I'm inclined to believe people's 'Liking' behavior mostly moves along general lines, rather.

1) I generally 'Like' because I, erm, like those people; :)

2) Related to the 1st item, I often appreciate said people because they are supportive. Every time I see someone make a supportive post, I almost invariably upvote them. That is just my way of saying "I like your positive contribution to this thread, and appreciate you taking the time to be kind!" And if I see them being consistently nice to people, they will eventually make it to a kind of green-list, if you will, where I will 'Like' them for no greater reason than their pleasant presence in this thread.

3) Only now do I get to 'Likes' in this particular thread. Here matters are muddled  a bit -- compared to overall 'Liking' patterns, as art is involved, and 'Liking' also becomes (or is at least 'seen as' a judgment of their work). And it often is; but equally often just for the other reasons. 

4) Yes, I'm going to be THAT girl for a moment, but... not everyone is as good an artist as the other. Sticking to myself, I notice this most prominent in the Linden Homes threads. Some ppl are extremely talented decorators, whereas I, on a good day, can make something nice, but certainly don't belong to the top -- not even close. That doesn't bother me, though. Nor do I think in terms of 'elitism' or 'cliques' or anything. I'd like to believe some of these 'veterans' are getting most of the 'Likes', simply because they're very good at what they do.** Nor do I feel deterred from posting my stuff there, really; sometimes I may feel a bit intimidated in the presence of so much talent, but not because I begrudge people's voting behavior. See, the latter is simply a non-issue to me. Not that I think the 'Liking' system couldn't be an issue for some ppl, but it's never what kept me from posting (t)here.

Related to this place, even though I see some 'veterans' get a lot of 'Likes', I personally almost upvote anything I see pass by, simply because I appreciate they put effort into their work, and had the courage to post it.

** There's also the matter of simply being an 'established artist.' Much like in RL, at some point an artist's name is made, and he/she doesn't constantly have to fight for recognition any more. I'm sure this accounts for a great many extra 'Likes' too.

Edited by kiramanell
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

I think it behooves us to distinguish a bit between 'Liking' in general, and 'Liking' in this particular thread. One might think only the latters matters here, but I'm inclined to believe people's 'Liking' behavior mostly moves along general lines, rather.

1) I generally 'Like' because I, erm, like those people; :)

2) Related to the 1st item, I often appreciate said people because they are supportive. Every time I see someone make a supportive post, I almost invariably upvote them. That is just my way of saying "I like your positive contribution to this thread, and appreciate you taking the time to be kind!" And if I see them being consistently nice to people, they will eventually make it to a kind of green-list, if you will, where I will 'Like' them for no greater reason than their pleasant presence in this thread.

3) Only now do I get to 'Likes' in this particular thread. Here matters are muddled  a bit -- compared to overall 'Liking' patterns, as art is involved, and 'Liking' also becomes (or is at least 'seen as' a judgment of their work). And it often is; but equally often just for the other reasons. 

4) Yes, I'm going to be THAT girl for a moment, but... not everyone is as good an artist as the other. Sticking to myself, I notice this most prominent in the Linden Homes threads. Some ppl are extremely talented decorators, whereas I, on a good day, can make something nice, but certainly don't belong to the top -- not even close. That doesn't bother me, though. Nor do I think in terms of 'elitism' or 'cliques' or anything. I'd like to believe some of these 'veterans' are getting most of the 'Likes', simply because they're very good at what they do.** Nor do I feel deterred from posting my stuff there, really; sometimes I may feel a bit intimidated in the presence of so much talent, but not because I begrudge people's voting behavior. See, the latter is simply a non-issue to me. Not that I think the 'Liking' system couldn't be an issue for some ppl, but it's never what kept me from posting (t)here.

Related to this place, even though I see some 'veterans' get a lot of 'Likes', I personally almost upvote anything I see pass by, simply because I appreciate they put effort into their work, and had the courage to post it.

** There's also the matter of simply being an 'established artist.' Much like in RL, at some point an artist's name is made, and he/she doesn't constantly have to fight for recognition any more. I'm sure this accounts for a great many extra 'Likes' too.

I have gotten to the point, where likes, faves, views and follows  are moot. When I first started, I was definitely the opposite. But I have gotten to the point where I'm like, if I focus on that. I will not be able to focus on the quality content I release.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, BelindaN said:

This image is so striking in detail, and also so similar to my look, that I just had to take a pop...……..I didn't max the graphics, just my normal good setting, and a simple B&W filter and here's the result...…...

I think we may be related ;)

SL43 (2).png

Glad you found me sis!!!! :)

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Eva Knoller said:

My avi wore the same thing all weekend, but I did buy the cute corgi that I first saw in Catrie's post. I have named him Carl the Corgi. Pronounced Coral, like Rick Grimes says it. :)

Corgi!

That corgi is indeed corgious. :P And you along with it. You really have a lovely avi! ❤️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I've been dying to post about this for over a week, but now they're released I can do so. There are some new gifts at Catwa, including this gorgeous HD lips addon for all of her female Bento heads (up to and including Nour). More info here.

48576957827_f7b174727a_h.jpg

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 3