How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

8 hours ago, Orwar said:

I try my best to at least like the pictures of those who've liked mine as not to seem ungrateful, and if I know that if any given person never likes my pictures, but also likes others', then I don't tend to like theirs either. I often consider just ceasing the liking-game altogether.

This part jumped out at me and made me wonder how many people pay attention to WHO likes their photos and distributes Likes with that as part of the criteria. 

While I've taken notice of how many Likes a photo gets, I don't think I've ever paid any attention to who is doing the Likes.  In other threads, I often take note of who Likes versus Laughs versus ....... just because it is interesting to see how different people react.  Maybe here I never paid attention because I didn't want to know who never or seldom Liked one of my pictures.

I try to Like pretty much everything, mostly as a show of support, but sometimes the thread does get ahead of me and I miss new pictures as I'm skimming through it all to catch up.  If most folks are paying attention to the WHO part, I might have to work more at ensuring I don't miss any pictures for my Likes, because I surely don't want to hurt feelings or make anyone feel that their pictures are not as good.  I've already pretty much stopped posting my own pictures due to my own perceptions of the thread direction and focus, so I sure as heck don't want to send anyone else packing.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Yeah! What she said! (Eva will get the joke!)

There are, I think anyway, two things that make this thread a really and truly special place.

The first, most obviously, is the content, which is primarily the lovely pictures that everyone posts here. I think that we all make it clear that there are no special criteria of excellence for posting pics here: we want to see and enjoy them all! And, as Eva says, we're very good about being helpful and supportive.

And that helpfulness and support is at the heart of the second thing that makes this a special thread: the community, which is, despite occasional appearances perhaps, really and truly welcoming, inclusive, and generous.

Sometimes, I think, these two qualities seem to be at odds. You can't build a community, or be supportive, around a thread consisting purely of pictures. At the same time, there is something to what both Orwar and Sara say: the pictures themselves can sometimes seem overwhelmed by the commentary. I am probably more guilty than most of this myself, as I am by nature rather, um . . . garrulous. But, as Eva also notes, there are almost no regular or frequent posters here who don't sometimes get chatty in ways that may not seem immediately relevant.

Ultimately, though, the dichotomy is false. The pictures, pretty as they are, are not worth nearly as much without the appreciative, and sometimes vocal, praise and support that they receive; at the same time, that support is in aid of the pictures. I wouldn't bother much with this thread if it were a mere gallery of pictures, but then I wouldn't be attracted to this place in the first place were it not for the images. There are plenty of other places in the forums that are chatty: what makes this thread unique is that it blends community with the beauty of the image.

This is a forum, so there are, beyond what the mods and LL dictate, no "rules" for how or what to post here. No one owns this thread, not even the OP. This thread looks and functions the way it does because the community, collectively, has determined its nature. We all, without consulting each other or talking about it, made this thread what it is! If it works -- and I think it does -- it's because we have all contributed to making it work.

And I have faith that that community, which I have grown to really love and admire, will continue to exert its unseen hand in a way that ensures that it will remain both beautiful and abounding with lovely pictures, and enlivened with interesting, helpful, and supportive chatter.

No one dictated the balance of these two things: we found it ourselves. And we will again, if we can all agree to be ever mindful of the views and sensibilities of everyone else here, new and old poster alike.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

And because it is both about the pics, and the community:

This is a gorgeous gown with which @kiramanell gifted me yesterday! She also sent me a beautiful pair of feathered heels, which I am wearing here but can't be seen; I'll have to figure out how to feature them in a photo separately!

Thank you so much Kira! It's a really delightful present! I love i!

And please, an absolute moratorium on presents for me for at least six months, everyone, ok? You're all darling, but it's getting exhausting unpacking the gifts!

372540258_Reprise-Blank.thumb.png.79336a918b4253dd1ed5bb129626e71e.png

• Like 28

30 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

And because it is both about the pics, and the community:

This is a gorgeous gown with which @kiramanell gifted me yesterday! She also sent me a beautiful pair of feathered heels, which I am wearing here but can't be seen; I'll have to figure out how to feature them in a photo separately!

Thank you so much Kira! It's a really delightful present! I love i!

And please, an absolute moratorium on presents for me for at least six months, everyone, ok? You're all darling, but it's getting exhausting unpacking the gifts!

372540258_Reprise-Blank.thumb.png.79336a918b4253dd1ed5bb129626e71e.png

Ooo, you were absolutely 100% right: it looks totally awesome in your 'new' home! ❤️ And I totally love the magnificent composition of this photo! That sort of black/silver grungy look of the lid of the pianio, and the dark silver sheet stand against the black gown with equally silver 'twirls'. And dat light! And the B/W picture with the piano player in the back, is there anything you do that isn't incredibly artistic?! LOL. And truly only you could wear this, and look so wickedly awesome in the process! "Scylla alone Has looked on Beauty bare!" 👑

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I'm so sorry to hear this! As I know I've told you before, I love your style, and I love your pictures; in all seriousness, there are a few of them that impressed themselves upon me so much that they'll recur to my mind when I'm taking my own shots. And, you're also one of the community here. If you're gone, you will be missed.

I know I'm not alone in hoping that your worries about internet prove baseless, and that you're back here, posting more great pics of your lovely avi, soon.

Thank you, it really warms me to hear your words 💙

I'm moving to a new coutry relatively far away and some stuff is still an unknown quantity ( one of them is internet coverage during weekends/evenings ) 😅

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

While I've taken notice of how many Likes a photo gets, I don't think I've ever paid any attention to who is doing the Likes.

I find it quite natural to get curious - if I notice that my picture is sandwiched between two with 5 ish 'likes' more than mine, it makes one wonder which people find one's pictures unworthy. When it happens more than once, it's not that hard to connect a few dots and see the patterns at play. Shrugs.

It's not really a big deal. I know my taste isn't for everyone, and that I'm not universally loved by everyone - nothing wrong with that. But I've been on this thread for ages, and one of the reasons I've been told by new people that they don't like to post in this thread is the disproportionate distribution of likes, fearing that they won't be as accepted as the 'veterans'. Whilst this is often untrue, as it generally seems first-time-posters receive praise in plenty, I could see how a lurker might go up and down a page noticing the sometimes quite significant differences and wondering if they'll end up at the bottom of the barrel.

• Like 13

Okay; I'm fairly new to this thread but knew Orwar pre here and I met a few and friended some from this thread; if honest I found them nothing but very friendly and easy to talk however I really appreciate the fact that they don't get annoyed I can be quiet as I admit I am an introvert but I do like posting pictures on here and if people like that then it bonus and if they don't then I won't sweat it because I take pictures simply for my enjoyment!  

I'm outs for now!  :) 

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

21 minutes ago, Orwar said:

one of the reasons I've been told by new people that they don't like to post in this thread is the disproportionate distribution of likes, fearing that they won't be as accepted as the 'veterans'.

This is actually a concern of mine, and has been for a while. The "likes" thing is definitely a double-edged sword. That said, almost no one who posts a pic here gets fewer than 10 or so likes: in comparison with the way that these are doled out on the rest of the forum, that should be seen as very affirming indeed.

I'm not about to start lecturing people on how they should be apportioning out their "likes": everyone has their own approach to this, and mine (I like pretty much everything) has its advantages and disadvantages. In terms of the latter, it can be argued that my "like" is devalued precisely because I am so generous in giving it out.

But then, I see a "like" not as an evaluation or a judgement, nor even as a "participation prize," but rather as a kind of "thank you" to anyone who has taken what is, for many, the bold step of sharing their very personal art with me and everyone else here.

• Like 15

It's only human nature to seek "approval". I don't look at who likes my pics, but i do see who gets more likes and to some extent, less likes. It really shouldn't matter.

I don't see myself as artistic or creative in terms of my images. In fact I've posted less lately because it's hard to do something different. My particular favourites are the group photos, when we meet up. But it takes a lot of effort to get people together, and that's why I get such a buzz when I stumble over a forumite by accident!

But this forum has welcomed me like a warm blanket on a cold night, and has given me so many friends, and I value their friendships so much. I may not post here quite so much but I will always be around. I don't  give up easily on anything. I'm a Warrior Princess after all............

• Like 11

Hallo everybody xD! Welp I havnt posted here in awhile again my gosh I need to start posting my photos 🙄 anywho! I did a blogpost th either day and I just love how my photo came out!! All I did was mess with the contrast a lil and did a pose :P * & yes I did do a different color of my skin :P I kind of like it but I like my lighter tones! *

Snapshot_001.jpg

PicsArt_08-18-07.04.52.png

Edited by MayaSkyrose
  • Like 23

6 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

This part jumped out at me and made me wonder how many people pay attention to WHO likes their photos and distributes Likes with that as part of the criteria. 

While I've taken notice of how many Likes a photo gets, I don't think I've ever paid any attention to who is doing the Likes.  In other threads, I often take note of who Likes versus Laughs versus ....... just because it is interesting to see how different people react.  Maybe here I never paid attention because I didn't want to know who never or seldom Liked one of my pictures.

I try to Like pretty much everything, mostly as a show of support, but sometimes the thread does get ahead of me and I miss new pictures as I'm skimming through it all to catch up.  If most folks are paying attention to the WHO part, I might have to work more at ensuring I don't miss any pictures for my Likes, because I surely don't want to hurt feelings or make anyone feel that their pictures are not as good.  I've already pretty much stopped posting my own pictures due to my own perceptions of the thread direction and focus, so I sure as heck don't want to send anyone else packing.

Good question... I do once in a great while look to see who liked someone's image... not mine... someone else's. Otherwise I am just happy with the Likes I get.

We've talked before about why we give Likes... The reasons are so diverse I doubt one can take any serious information from the number of Likes... other than there is some positive something going.

48570965376_43cdbf5f6a_b.jpg

From Saturday.... after some Photoshop.

• Like 23