Nostoll

How does your avatar look today ?

2 hours ago, Caerolle Llewellyn said:

Well, since I spent several hours and stayed up wayyyy past my bedtime cross shopping and demoing expensive skins specifically around the brand of my head, and finally got a set that cost L1400, you would think I would be all in on this one, lol. However, I am like the people upthread who identify with their avis, and feel their look has to represent who they are, and I am just not sure this is me, or at least who I want to project.

Well, I suspect, if you're at all like me in this regard, that you can expect that figuring out who and what you want to project is going to be a sort of dynamic thing. It's like that in RL, after all: we continually "remake" ourselves over time. It's just faster and easier to do in SL. I remember being reasonably happy with my new look relatively early on in the process of going mesh, but the process was (and probably still is) ongoing, and I look now quite a bit different than I did fresh out of the box 8 months ago (or whenever it was).

And really, although I am not one of those people who enjoys spending hours demoing skins and heads, part of the fun of this is exploring and actually discovering how you want to represent yourself!

I think part of the problem is I am not sure what that is now. SL has changed so much for me, as has my motivation for being here. With this head change, I have kinda let go of the past and of my expectations of SL to a large degree. Instead of socializing and going to clubs, I am focusing on shopping and playing Barbie with my avi. The irony is that if I don't really interact with others, it doesn't matter what my avi looks like, lol. But I am doing it because it is fun and entertaining, not to look good for others, so I suppose it all works out in the end. :)

That's probably a really healthy way to think about it. And SL is still varied enough that it's not impossible that you'll find new things, possibly connected with your new look, that will grab your attention. Since I came back I discovered (and have become unhealthily obsessed by) photography, decorating (mostly for photo shoots), and clothes shopping (gawd help me). And I've rediscovered exploring places, especially the mainland, by vehicle. I've given my scooter quite a work out, and I have a new speedboat I want to use more.

The other thing is that I've discovered, here in this thread and forum, a new set of friends. The people here are lovely. Exploit them mercilessly!

However, I suck at SL photography.

We can work on that. 😊

And you can help me with makeup: I've been too minimalist too long.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, kiramanell said:

mernaid3.thumb.jpg.1034b4c85386e7b16d1aad414483f77f.jpg

Looking very adorable Kira!

Have you decide to abandon the younger look you were using for your system avi? I thought it looked really sweet too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Looking very adorable Kira!

Have you decide to abandon the younger look you were using for your system avi? I thought it looked really sweet too.

Awww, thank you! ❤️

Abandoning Chloe, though?! Eek! Even you uttering those words makes me cringe! :( I really am Chloe. (What have I done? Dropped nearly $LL 25,000 now on all the new goodies; and now I regret it already). No, seriously, though, I love the latest Catwa and Maitreya stuff, to play with, but yeah, it pains me to even consider leaving Chloe behind. So, maybe I simply won't. Unless I can recreate her somehow with a Catwa head. I'm not exactly all that proficient with sliders, though. Thanks for reminding me to stay true to myself.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Catrie said:

LOTD 137

Very beautiful! ❤️ That isn't your profile-picture head, though, right? (Which I also love, btw).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, kiramanell said:

Very beautiful! ❤️ That isn't your profile-picture head, though, right? (Which I also love, btw).

Thanks so much. 💜 It's the same head, the Genus Baby,  It's just a new skin and different makeup. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

It's the Hardwick Manor by Apple Fall.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Apple-Fall-Hardwick-Manor/7507037

I wanted a place with a sort of simple, almost Spartan elegance -- neoclassical or Edwardian, perhaps (and definitely not Victorian) -- and, of the various options I demoed or visited, this was very much the nicest. Part of its appeal, aside from the level of detail (which is very good) is also that it has a "lived in" look (although maybe a little too "lived in" in places). And it's pretty huge. The other thing I wanted, mostly for photograph purposes, was lots of smaller enclosed spaces, lots of doors, and not too many windows: this fits the bill in that way, mostly.

On the downside, it's really LOD heavy, and uses a lot of high rez textures, so that you get some occasional texture thrashing. (It does come with a lower texture rez version, though.) And the layout on the ground floor is not quite what I'd have preferred.

A big plus for me, though, is that it's actually built to realistic proportions. My own avatar is 1.8m, and I generally have to shrink houses, skyboxes, and photo backdrops by about a third to make them work with my avatar, which can be a serious drag. THIS one looked perfect out of the box (although it's mod, so you can increase the size.)

Thanks for sharing! :) 

I really think it will be great home for you. The whole landscaping on that Apple Fall photo really adds immensely to it as well (at least for me). I'm sure a talented photographer like you will be able to do wonders with it. 👍 That car, though, looked  mite out of place, LOL - otherwise you'd really feel right there, at the start of the 20th century. :) But wherever you will place it, I'm sure it will be lovely. 🥰

Edited by kiramanell
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Catrie said:

Thanks so much. 💜 It's the same head, the Genus Baby,  It's just a new skin and different makeup. 

Wow! I couldn't even tell! :) What a difference customization makes! You really did a superb job, on both of them! ❤️

• Like 2

Wow! This place has been busy with so many new faces and amazing photos. I think I am finally all caught up on the pics... sorry if I missed liking anyone’s shots. I’m back from a relaxing mountain vacation and ready to get in world and take some pics. Awesome work everyone!! 

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Getting a costume ready for a party this Friday.

7972791e964c4731f122b2927b4fcb76-png.jpg

Now that's a coincidence. I've just booted me and Skye up for a Pirate Party on 31st August at the beach. Not enough time today to post my picture, and Skye hasn't been in front of the camera yet in hers. I'll post mine tomorrow. I'm pleased how it turned out with a bit of pick and mix!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Raw shot. I haven't had time to put together a credits list (and I've had to contact the creator of the outfit I'm wearing, because a specific rigged piece was missing from the box) but I loved this close-up so much I had to quickly share it before I turned in for the night.

4bcbfed3a017e38e272a1d4c2092f6dc.jpg

• Like 22

Few months back when I was having a bit of a bad time I decided to make a new, well, another Alt. It relaxes me to create and it brought me out of my funk.  I finally decided to bring her out into the light :)

Her name is Bellatrix.

BellaProfile.png

• Like 26

6 hours ago, Eva Knoller said:

Wow! This place has been busy with so many new faces and amazing photos. I think I am finally all caught up on the pics... sorry if I missed liking anyone’s shots. I’m back from a relaxing mountain vacation and ready to get in world and take some pics. Awesome work everyone!! 

Welcome back! :) You're always such a great force of positivity! ❤️

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi everybody long time since I posted anything here but got inspired yesterday by all your great pics and I am always blown away by Skells awesome photos, anyway I read his brilliant tutorial and this is my first attempt using his great advise.1752651613_SahraokIhope.thumb.png.54ba189941abbb63e64f588e476f96e2.png

• Like 22