Nostoll

How does your avatar look today ?

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, TDD123 said:

But not the better logo.ย  Who was it's designer ? Looks rather .. Trump. ๐Ÿ˜ถ

Well . . . no. Not even a little bit, actually.

The "Women Power" symbol connects us with over 50 years of continuous struggle for women's equality, dating from the 60s, when this symbol was first adopted.

It represents a melding of two apparently disparate symbols: on the one hand, the sign for "Venus," the traditional emblem of "femininity" represented by the circle with the cross at the bottom. That has long stood for such conventional associations with women as nurturing, softness, emotionalism, physical beauty, and emotional connection.

On the other hand, the raised fist was borrowed from the Black Power movement (which is also not very Trump-like). It represents power, strength, but also struggle and defiance. One of the more important reasons for adopting the fist is nicely encapsulated in this famous image of two of the founding editors of Ms. magazine, Gloria Steinem and Dorothy Pitman Hughes, standing side by side with fists defiantly raised. An important point of this image of a white feminist and a black feminist side-by-side is that it linked the women's movement with the civil rights struggle: feminist values, it tells us, include anti-racist values. The struggle for equality for women, and for blacks, is the same struggle.

673283979_SteinemandPitmanHughes-Blank.jpg.182fb874ccbbb77d2767edb104ef58fa.jpg

Combining the two symbols -- the Venus symbol, and the raised fist -- into a single symbol for the women's movement and feminism also changes both of them. The traditional "weaker" values of femininity represented by the circle and cross become strong and powerful: nurturing, empathy, and emotional connection, traditionally seen as weakness, are re-imagined as strength and power. And the "power" represented by the upraised fist becomes "feminized": this isn't your grandad's "power," it is saying. It's a new way of thinking about what power, strength, defiance, and resistance mean, because it's informed by the feminine values of the Venus symbol.

So, tl;dr: no, there is nothing "Trumpish" about this symbol. It has a long history, and it has its own meanings that extend far beyond what the fist alone represents.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Conall DeCuir said:

I just had to do thisย ๐Ÿ˜Ž

feminist2_001.png

Well . . . I know at least one feminist in RL who actually does look a bit like you.

So there. ๐Ÿ˜›

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Well . . . no. Not even a little bit, actually.

ย 

So, tl;dr: no, there is nothing "Trumpish" about this symbol.

Yeah, ok . Fair enough.I somehow knew i had that coming.

I did read it all though. ;)

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, TDD123 said:

Yeah, ok . Fair enough.I somehow knew i had that coming.

I did read it all though. ;)

Well, you're a very good sport.

One of my favourite old Chicago blues songs from the 50s is by Sonny Boy Williamson (most definitely not a feminist), and has a chorus that begins "Don't start me talking, / I'll tell everything I know."

I should probably use it as my forum signature. ๐Ÿ˜€

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

Posted (edited)

Even as a pacifist I know every gun, even the well-intended one,ย  needs some kind of trigger ... Am happy enough to oblige. ;)

Edited by TDD123
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

Final entry for me in this thread with a final picture. Waiting for more of all of yours.

Have fun while doing so.

Snapshot_036.png

• Like 19

10 minutes ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

Snapshot_004.png

Classy as always Zeta! In the library with just the merest hint of a stocking top showing....

Mmm the smell of leather and old books! ๐Ÿ˜Š

I need to work more on my poses...........

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This is from yesterday...had I known we were going bike riding, I'd have worn something more casualย ๐Ÿ˜‚

Snapshot_012.png

• Like 18

27 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

Mmm the smell of leather and old books! ๐Ÿ˜Š

ย ย  One of the best perks of my job.

image.png.6e0edda03e4a2fd0f36c413a442f0bce.png

• Like 19

So.. I haven't posted here fir awhile dang lol.. anyway I been blogging & taking pictures!! Anyways here are two of my pictures i had took! If yuh want to give feedback its welcome! XDย 

FB_IMG_1562800746990.jpg

PicsArt_07-10-01.32.09.jpg

• Like 18

So yeah, I was kinda bored. And Decided to play with male hairs, I absolutely found my look. The short hairs, and the rebel/punk look. So me.

Male hairs actually work._002.png

• Like 23

7 hours ago, Orwar said:

ย ย  One of the best perks of my job.

image.png.6e0edda03e4a2fd0f36c413a442f0bce.png

Somewhere in-world, I think, there is a place that has 19th century presses and, maybe, bookbinding stuff?

• Like 1