How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

31 minutes ago, Vihmakass said:

Like usual..after heavy shopping and event hoping you carry home pile of bags and boxes.......and end going to party still with dress what you had already year.

/sigh/

32346fce3c2dbf3e2c8b1995995758bb.jpg

To a party?

If I owned a dress like that, and looked that gorgeous in it, I'd be wearing it grocery shopping.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I got taken to Exile and Stealthic, and Blueberry, and Erratic, and extended my budget a bit, because there's a lot to buy.

So I'm unpacking stuff right now, but I was also shown around Lutz, and couldn't resist a photo in the booth. The second photo is taken on the shoe shine stand next to the photo booth.

Nobody was around, and I didn't have much shoe to shine to be honest.

Hair is Exile "Walking on Sunshine" Browns

Dress is Erratic Adriana, and is a wee bit low cut...….ahem!

Shoes are Gos Grace sandals.

SL39.png

SL38.png

• Like 21

7 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

So, no sooner have I bewailed the lack of feminist tee shirts in SL, than Taya (@Angelina String) MAKES me one!!!!

Now we just need one with a print for the patriarchy!

image.png.fa0446a22331b6f557f06fbba920b15e.png

... I still don't get what the beef with the Orthodox Church is, though. And yes, that was sarcasm!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

Nephtyria: ... Why uh, are you wearing that? lol
Catrie Athena: what?
Nephtyria : The cartoon mouse ears.. =p
Catrie Athena: because it matches the mouse ears on the top, that I have to blog for an event. 😛
Nephtyria: lol, all right then.

LOTD 126

• Like 21

4 hours ago, TDD123 said:

But not the better logo.  Who was it's designer ? Looks rather .. Trump. 😶

Well . . . no. Not even a little bit, actually.

The "Women Power" symbol connects us with over 50 years of continuous struggle for women's equality, dating from the 60s, when this symbol was first adopted.

It represents a melding of two apparently disparate symbols: on the one hand, the sign for "Venus," the traditional emblem of "femininity" represented by the circle with the cross at the bottom. That has long stood for such conventional associations with women as nurturing, softness, emotionalism, physical beauty, and emotional connection.

On the other hand, the raised fist was borrowed from the Black Power movement (which is also not very Trump-like). It represents power, strength, but also struggle and defiance. One of the more important reasons for adopting the fist is nicely encapsulated in this famous image of two of the founding editors of Ms. magazine, Gloria Steinem and Dorothy Pitman Hughes, standing side by side with fists defiantly raised. An important point of this image of a white feminist and a black feminist side-by-side is that it linked the women's movement with the civil rights struggle: feminist values, it tells us, include anti-racist values. The struggle for equality for women, and for blacks, is the same struggle.

673283979_SteinemandPitmanHughes-Blank.jpg.182fb874ccbbb77d2767edb104ef58fa.jpg

Combining the two symbols -- the Venus symbol, and the raised fist -- into a single symbol for the women's movement and feminism also changes both of them. The traditional "weaker" values of femininity represented by the circle and cross become strong and powerful: nurturing, empathy, and emotional connection, traditionally seen as weakness, are re-imagined as strength and power. And the "power" represented by the upraised fist becomes "feminized": this isn't your grandad's "power," it is saying. It's a new way of thinking about what power, strength, defiance, and resistance mean, because it's informed by the feminine values of the Venus symbol.

So, tl;dr: no, there is nothing "Trumpish" about this symbol. It has a long history, and it has its own meanings that extend far beyond what the fist alone represents.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2