How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

It's been a busy couple of weeks, but I've finally found a bit of time to get back the Auntie Winnie's journal and photographs. This is another that dates from relatively early on in her residence in Berlin: the back of the photograph is inscribed, in Auntie Winnie's characteristically neat hand, "Statschloss [sic] with F Nov."

Stadtschloss-Blank.thumb.png.31d532b5902baea34303b5bc1673d3db.png

The Stadtschloss (or Berliner Schloss) was, originally, a 16th-century residence for the Electors of Brandenburg and, after much expansion and modification at the beginning of the 18th century, for the Prussian royal family. Converted in part to a museum at the advent of the Weimar Republic in 1918, it was struck by Allied incendiary bombs in the last months of the Second World War and reduced mostly to a burnt-out shell. Communist East Germany tore the remains of the building down in 1950, and the area became a parade ground called Marx-Engels-Platz. (A modern reconstruction of the building was commenced in 2013, and is due to be completed this year.)

Winnie's journals make a few references to the Stadtschloss; she seems to have visited it on a number of occasions between 1927 and 1930.

Winnie is clearly in an office here, however, so it would appear that the point of her visit was not a tour of the galleries. I think I've found a clue in her journal: on November 14, 1927, she writes "No word from the museum and its been nearly 2 weeks now so its back to the tub and pump for me after all. Man soll den tag nicht vor dem abend loben!"

From this I think we can surmise that Winnie had sought some sort of employment, possibly as a secretary or stenographer, at the Stadtschloss -- maybe with the help of the still-mysterious F? -- but had been disappointed.

Interesting that some German idioms have begun at this point to appear in her journal entries. One wonders who was tutoring her in these?

• Like 26

I went back to Salt Water earlier and met up with Ellie in her Lara Croft outfit. 

Here's the result. We need to get Salty something other than Hawk Girl...…..haha!

SL44.png

SL42.png

Edited by BelindaN
  • Like 29

2 hours ago, Saraya Starr said:

Honestly, Scylla. I have seen some beautiful pics from you. But this, by far, is my Favorite one of yours :)

Saraya, thank you so much!

Yay!! You've just made my afternoon! (Which was kind of meh till now.)

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Angelina String said:

I am kind of starting to suspect that the boys next door not always accidentally loses control over the garden hose each time I walk by...

Never met those guys, but already like them :)

Oh, and please tell me the brand of that wet look blouse!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4