How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

23 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Thank you, Sara! There are probably many who would agree that my best work is shrouded in and obscured by darkness . . .

More seriously, welcome back from whatever has been keeping you away. It's been quiet here, and your contributions and voice have been sorely missed!

I’ve been spending toooo much time on my computer, with my own work for RL and a project I was working on for the forum. Had to stay off the Mac 🖥 all week to recover. Much better this weekend & I hope to be back next week. Until then my only SL outlet in on my iphone on this forum. Re; the “project”, Maybe I’ll start to unveil it next week... depends upon my recovery. Thank you soooo much for your kind words. They are so appreciated. 

😘 to all!

~ S

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Oh wow, Eva. This is wonderful! It's like a painting! And your avi has never looked lovelier! 

ETA: Ok, the above was a first impression, written somewhat hurriedly on my phone while I was in transit. I wanted to tell you what I liked so much about this, though.

The colours are cool and lovely, and there is a nice contrast between the deeper blues and greens of the background, and the lighter shades of your avi. The depth of field is not too obtrusive (I think I use it too much sometimes as a sort of crutch), but just helps the figure in the foreground pop out a bit: it gives just enough depth to the picture.

But the absolutely best thing about this is the pose and expression you've got here. You look serene and self-confident and, most of all, interesting. You look like someone I'd want to meet for coffee or drinks, because you'd have interesting and worthwhile things to say. It's so easy to look "pretty" in Second Life: it's kind of the default for women avatars. It's much more difficult to show your depth of character and intelligence. I think you do that here!

I'm going to make one suggestion, which I hope you'll understand is coming from someone (me) who wishes she had taken this picture, and who is also still very much learning how to do this. The body of your avatar is a bit washed out and "flat." It's not always easy to fix that (I spend a LOT of time on lighting in my pics), but by dampening the foreground lighting a little (by fiddling a bit with Windlight), while adding another low-level light source or even projector, just off to one side, you might be able to add some subtle shading to give your body (and maybe even your face, although that's less of an issue here) a bit more definition and depth.

Again though: wow. I'm seriously jealous.

Thank you, Scylla!! What a nice assessment of my photo and avi. It is very high praise coming from someone whose work I admire! On the subject of projection lighting, I very much struggle to get it right. With this particular pic I spent ages moving around the projector and trying different windlights until I finally just gave up and went straight windlight. When I use a projector light it always tends to be too bright and completely wash out my avi. I don't know what I am doing wrong! Anyway, I think I have successfully used a projector only a handful of times and the rest of time I give up in a huff. So, all that to say, have any tips on using them??  lol  Apologies for any typos, I have not yet caffeinated. 

Edited by Eva Knoller
added things
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, Laika Ravikumar said:

I’m pretty Pleased if I achieve just ‘pretty’

You never fail to achieve "gorgeous," Laika.

And the thing that most characterizes your pictures (for me, anyway) is a really lovely "warmth" from lighting.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Eva Knoller said:

Thank you, Scylla!! What a nice assessment of my photo and avi. It is very high praise coming from someone whose work I admire! On the subject of projection lighting, I very much struggle to get it right. With this particular pic I spent ages moving around the projector and trying different windlights until I finally just gave up and went straight windlight. When I use a projector light it always tends to be too bright and completely wash out my avi. I don't know what I am doing wrong! Anyway, I think I have successfully used a projector only a handful of times and the rest of time I give up in a huff. So, all that to say, have any tips on using them??  lol  Apologies for any typos, I have not yet caffeinated. 

Oh, I don't do "assessments"! I leave those for people who know what they're talking about! Mine was much more of an "appreciation"!

I'm sure you know this already, but you can of course change the lighting intensity and so forth in a projector by editing it while it's attached, in the "features" tab of the edit dialog. (That's assuming you're using a projector with modify perms, which you should be.) You can lower intensity, for instance, until it's less glaring, and fall off will also soften the light somewhat. And if you want a slightly less dramatic differential between the bits that the projector is hitting, and that parts that it isn't, raising ambience will add a softer, blurrier light to the parts that aren't in the direct line of projector. (I often use regular light attachments for that, and to soften the shadows, because it allows you to be more selective in where you are softening the effect.)

I think I've said this before, but it might be an idea for us to start a parallel thread to this one in the Art, Music, and Photography subforum, where we can exchange tips without cluttering up this one.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, TatianaNikolay said:

That would be fun 💕

There's much more more to you than meets the eye Tati!!! haha!!  So when do you perfect a group pose for the next Angels shoot?????........ *me waiting* 9_9

I've had serious withdrawal symptoms, not being in world since last Friday, and after a long drive home today, and hours spent sorting stuff out and all the usual, I'm looking forward to getting back in the saddle tomorrow, Sunday.............I just can't wait!!! :D

• Like 4

When the temperature outside finally hits the double digits, a girl's thoughts turn to . . . well, to the Riviera, actually.

Because if you're going to daydream, you might as well aim high.

(With Brannigan Catnap)

Oh! And I'm wearing a really lovely and stylish sun hat made by our own @Peony Swee*****er!

ETA: How freakin' stupid is it that the software here just censored part of someone's legacy name. Yeeesh.

Beach-Blanket-Banter - Blank.png

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 24