How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

8 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

For me, personally (and, of course, someone else might have a different response, based upon their personal interests and expectations), Eclipse was both weirdly too varied, and too narrow. On the one hand, there were a lot of things that were merely grungy rather than really "dark," like a tenement slum. And, on the other, there wasn't a lot for people like me who aren't primarily goth or dark, but just like the aesthetic.

I guess, ultimately, the success of events has to be judged by their financial results: is it making money? And, I suppose, by the service it might provide to the community that they are catering to. In this case, it was a community that clearly didn't really include people like me (which is, of course, fine).

I think that when it comes to The Eclipse, it's feels less about adherence to a very specific theme, and more about representation of a group of creators whose aesthetics 'generally' are compatible. The four large booths in the middle are ContraptioN, HotDog, CerberusXing and Death Row Designs; at least the first three of those do work very much together and have several collaborative projects. Some of the other regular creators, such as Noctis, are just big names in the general SL Vampire/Goth communities as, well, they've been around for a long time and very much aims to cater to those aesthetics. 

Whether the event is economically successful, I have no idea. But it's been around for a while now, and whilst there are other 'dark' events (such as The Darkness and Suicide Dollz), none of them ever really do manage to be 100% 'dark', and I highly doubt that there's any event at all where every creator is both entirely within the theme and where everyone likes everything in that event. It's like the men's fashion events that have regular creators offering unisex poses and tattoos, or the adult events where you find hairs and, again, the occasional pose packs and tattoos that may or may not have absolutely nothing with the actual theme. 

But as I mentioned before, there are a great many ways to adore the darkness, there are so many subgenres of the gothic subculture alone - and not all who 'like it dark' are goth, either. Dark post-punks, trad-goths, romantic goths, lolita goths, industrial goths / 'goths' (rivet heads / synths), cybergoths, gothic steampunks, pastel goths, doll goths, fetish goths, gothabillies / pin-up goths, J-goths... It's so messy that people are trying to map the subculture with flowcharts to keep up, which is all the more confusing as the terminology isn't entirely standardised either, and most people I know still just refer to themselves as 'goths' and switch fashion depending on mood and occasion. A brief introduction to some of the styles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JXYLSbJ5FA

And to sort of stick to topic, here's Neph as-- Guess the Goth? (Yes, I know the earrings and top aren't really kosher - it's just a quick T-pose snap!)

Snapshot_016.thumb.png.563f82981c629663749776d4386e368b.png

Edited by Orwar
  • Like 20

1 minute ago, Amanda Dallin said:

Didn't LL take over the Lost Gardens of Apollo to preserve it?

Anyway I can honestly say I was not nearly seduced there.

Yes, that sounds right, I think. I seem to remember it was a big deal at the time.

It's certainly historically important to SL . . . if only because haunted by the ghosts of so many vanquished virtuous intentions.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Amanda Dallin said:

Didn't LL take over the Lost Gardens of Apollo to preserve it?

Anyway I can honestly say I was not nearly seduced there.

I got seduced at the Maitreya Store. Nothing nearly about that. Ok I was new and curious, and she was very good, and I was curious so I didn't resist........

/me blushes thinking about it now.

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

OMG, it's still there? I thought it closed years ago!

(I was nearly seduced there once!)

It's still on. It indeed was closed, but it was restored by LL. It's nice that they save some old regions. 🙂

This is the original "The Lost Gardens of Apollo" built in 2005. The region went offline in 2011. Later on it was restored by Linden Lab as a "*Lost Gardens of Apollo* *Historic Build*".

• Like 1