How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

30 minutes ago, Saravendi said:

One of my fav photos from you @Clover Jinx! Love 💕 this! The outfit, amazing, avi, amazing! Where did you take this pic?

~ Sara

Thank you, I set the scene up from scratch with things in my inventory. Tattoo and sparkles are new from Plastik and the pose with bubbles is from Infiniti.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Orwar said:

Welcome to the world of SL photography. To see shadows in-world and to get them into your picture, you need to have Advanced Lighting Model active. You can also control which lights generate shadows; Sun/Moon means that only the sun (in your Windlight setting) will cast shadows, Projectors are lights that cast directional lighting (as opposed to point lights, that cast light in all directions and can not generate shadows).
   Alternatively, you can hand-shade your picture in an editing program, but unless you're very ambitious about it, it might not be the first editing process you want to master (personally I regard that, along with drawing hair, to be some of the trickier of the 'usual' editing processes; but it depends on what equipment you have and your experience with drawing).

Thanks for the Advice!

Here are some more images with shadows, i'll have another play around with the Sun/Moon shadows, thanks again!

It did take some editing in photoshop to get the harsh tone out but I'm excited to get some more cool looking shots, i'll probably suck at making my own shadows though.

1411382181_yaedit.thumb.jpg.3e60cf682b6dbf3b6b6c13252e3a9bb1.jpg293853387_yesseditsmalllll.thumb.jpg.cf96912e075f4e026b20889f525a4565.jpg1157921328_yiieditsmall.thumb.jpg.ad791d1e258bdc071e566da73856157c.jpg

• Like 18

I have some nice clothing among my old system avatar outfits, but only one that I really think it worth saving -- in part because I haven't been able to find a mesh equivalent, and in part because this is the kind of flow-y outfit where flexi actually works better than mesh.

This is my Vietnamese Ao Dai, by Vlintuition. It's really well made, and I think holds its own in this brave new world of mesh. It was also a gift about 9 years ago, and it means a lot, as well as being (I think) rather beautiful.

Ao-Dai-Garden-Blank.png

• Like 16

3 hours ago, Talligurl said:

I just noticed the  pig seems to be giving you a  good sniff.

Maybe pigs are like dogs, and this is how they make friends?

In one I posted recently, I have lasers shooting out of my butt.

It's soooo hard to watch for EVERY LITTLE THING when taking a pic!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I have some nice clothing among my old system avatar outfits, but only one that I really think it worth saving -- in part because I haven't been able to find a mesh equivalent, and in part because this is the kind of flow-y outfit where flexi actually works better than mesh.

This is my Vietnamese Ao Dai, by Vlintuition. It's really well made, and I think holds its own in this brave new world of mesh. It was also a gift about 9 years ago, and it means a lot, as well as being (I think) rather beautiful.

Ao-Dai-Garden-Blank.png

That is gorgeous (I am biased anyway) Some of my Chinese traditional stuff works best with a *shivers* "Geisha* (!) AO.  I'm always on the look-out for good Chinese traditional stuff. But a lot of creators seem to get Japanese and Chinese all mixed up LOL.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, WhiteDrifter said:

Thanks for the Advice!

Here are some more images with shadows, i'll have another play around with the Sun/Moon shadows, thanks again!

It did take some editing in photoshop to get the harsh tone out but I'm excited to get some more cool looking shots, i'll probably suck at making my own shadows though.

1411382181_yaedit.thumb.jpg.3e60cf682b6dbf3b6b6c13252e3a9bb1.jpg293853387_yesseditsmalllll.thumb.jpg.cf96912e075f4e026b20889f525a4565.jpg1157921328_yiieditsmall.thumb.jpg.ad791d1e258bdc071e566da73856157c.jpg

These are really great, and interesting looking! I like the pose, setting, and angle.

Two minor suggestions, from a fellow photo noob who is just getting her bearings on this subject too . . . first, there is a bit of lens distortion (or whatever the technical term is) that you could probably eliminate by using Ctrl + 0 to get close up, rather than your mouse wheel.

And second, you can soften the shadows a little, so they are less hard-edged. In Firestorm's Phototools (under the World menu), if you raise the "Shield Blur" value, it will soften these as much as you want them softened. (And maybe you don't!)

You've got a much better visual imagination than I seem to! I'm looking forward to seeing what you create!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

That is gorgeous (I am biased anyway) Some of my Chinese traditional stuff works best with a *shivers* "Geisha* (!) AO.  I'm always on the look-out for good Chinese traditional stuff. But a lot of creators seem to get Japanese and Chinese all mixed up LOL.

Yeah, it's really lovely, and one of my favourite pieces ever since I was given it. The history of these garments is also kind of interesting: 20th century versions, I gather, were influenced by Western fashion, and it's become a sort of "national dress" for Vietnamese women. One of the things I love about this particular outfit -- apart from the fact that it's really beautifully made -- is that some real work obviously went into researching it. It's not just a generic "exotic garment from the mystical Orient," but something with real roots and meaning in the culture.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Maybe pigs are like dogs, and this is how they make friends?

In one I posted recently, I have lasers shooting out of my butt.

It's soooo hard to watch for EVERY LITTLE THING when taking a pic!

Oh I know, it's hard enough just making sure your bits are covered. I once posted a  pic of myself on my BFs lap, we were naked and i concentrated on making sure  none of my bits were showing before posting the picture, but DUH!!!!, I totally missed that his bit was there in full  view.

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

It's not just a generic "exotic garment from the mystical Orient," but something with real roots and meaning in the culture.

Precisely. My "Dragon Lady" and a few other snapshots of mine are in "as authentic as possible" Chinese traditional gowns, many NOT from the 20th century LOL. I should post more of those, I love wearing them and rarely have a reason to, other than snapshotting.

• Like 3