How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

5 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

OMG. Of course. WHY DID THIS NOT OCCUR TO ME BEFORE????? That totally makes sense!!! THANK YOU.

Yes, but here's what is confusing me. This is what Wildmist says about focal length:

In practice, I'm still confused about the actual difference between the effects produced by field of view and focal length in FS.

Had to actually pull up FS Phototools to look at it before I replied last night because my fingers and eyes are so used to doing what they do to take pics, but the trade-off is that I suck so badly at trying to explain what does what and why - sorry, chickadee!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

There IS a  difference. The simple answer is that the default viewer "camera" view gives you a bigger nose than usual. I't's like looking at a mirror through a glass globe: it is distorted. When you "zoom" you are removing that distortion and seeing the true shape (it's like flattening the glass sphere - the more you zoom, the flatter the sphere, the less distortion happening).

It's called Lens Distortion, based on how much of the lens is being used (the curvature of the lens) - here is a "lay-persons" explanation: https://expertphotography.com/what-is-lens-distortion/

Well, since I don't seem to be capable of keeping: 1. my big mouth shut and: 2. my promise from earlier post to not post offtopic stuff in this thread - I'm at it again...

Taking the risk of being labelled as an annoying nitpicking something, I must comment on the above and say that the "bigger nose"  is due to Perspective Distortion, not Lens Distortion - as mentioned halfway down in the linked article above...

Lens distortion is more or less constant regardless of how far from or close to the object you are taking a picture of, perspective distortion varies with the distance.
Advanced photo software has the lens distortion of different model/brand lenses build in so that you can remove lens distortion made by a specific lens more or less automatic - not that easy to correct perspective distortion...

Snapshot_007_cr.thumb.jpg.13af2392426570e053da6df9ba631929.jpg

*added a photo with no other intention than to make this post a tiny bit more interesting and on topic...

Edited by Angelina String
*see above
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Sagadin said:

Pure Windlight and Firestorm lighting,  otherwise cropped only! It's nice when it all comes together inworld... 

saga-1075.jpg

Great pic, and I especially love the warm sunlight and shadow on the wall and bookshelf!

I need to play with Windlight a lot more. When I shoot in the morning or evening, I find that the entire scene tends to get saturated in yellows and oranges. This is much more selective, and really lovely!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Orwar said:

Krampus

So this... Started with Cat suggesting I do a Christmas shot. And uh... Well, things happened. My creative process is occasionally a bit awkward and quite thoroughly twisted.

Ho ho ho????

This is terrifyingly beautiful. Or beautifully terrifying! Either way, I really enjoy the characteristic aesthetic you use in these shots.

(I need to reread the The Picture of Dorian Gray again soon. Can't imagine why I thought of that . . .)

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

Yes, yes! The wonderful thing about Second Life viewer (all of them) is that the Lindens created it to literally mimic true camera and lens physical properties. :)

There are virtually no photo tools in the SL viewer, are there? If there are, I wasn't able to find them!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Coby Foden said:

(In real life those two affect the DOF too. f-number is obvious naturally, but longer lens length means that the DOF is narrower than in shorter length lens with the same f-number setting.)

This makes a lot of sense: in RL, then, you can set the f-number and then further adjust the DOF without changing it.

I'll have to experiment more with the photo tools, I think, to get a clearer sense of how these two might be adjusted independently to produce different kinds of effects and exposure.

But tomorrow. Right now my head is definitely hurting a little . . .

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Angelina String said:

but this is a place for beautiful pictures of lovely avatars, not long and winding stuff about optics, 3D rendering and all that jazz :D - 

Totally agree... I think I helped start the tips/tech rants that have seemed to dominate the thread as of late. Sorry. Fascinating though, I’ve learned a lot and way cool stuff - but I think a lot of us have kind of veered off topic for this thread. To quote Angelina “More pictures of lovely avatars please”. 🧚‍♂️

Edited by Saravendi
Reworderd
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, autonug said:

Sunset in SL turned much better when viewed in Ultra ... couldn't resist uploading a screenshot.

profile_002.png

profile_003.png

The addition of a face light would have made this picture pop. While I almost never use them, They can be a great addition when standing in front of a sunset.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Angelina String said:

I must comment on the above and say that the "bigger nose"  is due to Perspective Distortion, not Lens Distortion

I use the term "lens distortion" because all photographic distortion is colloquially called "lens distortion". I bring this up because most specific terms used here and everywhere are misnomers in most cases, for example, as LL love to harp: it's a "region", not a "sim" and if we want to get specific on correct terms: these are not and never will be "photographs" - they are screenshots, though Linden Lab calls them "snapshots"

//JustSaying.

Edited by Alyona Su

8 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

There are virtually no photo tools in the SL viewer, are there? If there are, I wasn't able to find them!

"Phototools" are in every browser, but scattered through ambiguous areas throughout menus and keyboard commands. What "Phototools" in Firestorm does is to put them all in a single box for quick access.

• Thanks 1

On 12/18/2018 at 8:48 AM, Saravendi said:

Playing with new skins! Wow, the possibilities. My head was about to 🤯so, I went to Taya's new beach place (she was asleep...hehe) and relaxed a bit!

~ Sara

558970973_SARABEACH1.thumb.jpg.55a7881e8b2e263ab8ff6ed0e654d531.jpg

8 hours ago, MattNight84 said:

Ermm hate to mention pants again but its kind of difficult to ignore 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Orwar said:

My creative process is occasionally a bit awkward and quite thoroughly twisted.

That's what makes your photos so great, though!!  You take things in a COMPLETELY different direction than I could ever think of!  That's what I love about it!!

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Great pic, and I especially love the warm sunlight and shadow on the wall and bookshelf!

I need to play with Windlight a lot more. When I shoot in the morning or evening, I find that the entire scene tends to get saturated in yellows and oranges. This is much more selective, and really lovely!

Thanks so much! This one really just came together. There are so many lighting possibilities to play with! In this I also am using a simple spotlight or two or three -- I made a few and they are modifiable prims so if anyone wants one IM me! It gets attached to your center and so is stable as you fidget.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1