How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

9 minutes ago, Jessica Pyara said:

I don't understand how people think it looks good! Like ... maybe I'm pretentious or something, but I take pride in my avi. Like I don't understand how do people think the pin heads, look good. Even when I didn't have RL $ to spend I earned my L$ to buy clothes, skins, hair AO's ect...

Honestly, I think I may have to just do a tutorial on this stuff....for the love of Pete! It really is not that difficult, and you don't need money to look it up...yegads. I think Jessica is right, take pride in yourself!

2 minutes ago, Tess Falworth said:

The issue with most folks is that they don't actually understand proportions for a human..fingertips reach to about midthigh, and that the inside of the elbows should be about in line with the actual waist/belly button of a human female.  People tend to also forget that a human female shoulders should not look like a linebackers :(  While I know that there are many many MANY variations ( I have a degree in Art/Painting and Art History and have studied human figure ad naseum) I know that not everyone ges that.  And its not a bad thing, its just what folks know or have been exposed to.  I grew up looking at Japanese animation, and hence so many of my drawings that I make for myself have those proportions, and also in SL those proportions tend to creep out. Alot of folks also make their avi proportinal to those things around them so I totally get it. And, if things around them are super tall, they will make their avi fit that. I refused to do that and stuck to a more "normal" height, and as time went on I saw that creators were making more accurately sized things to use, so I looked more proportional to them. It is all relevant to what you are standing next to really! 

Below are actually links that show it better..anyway, this is a "thing" for me, as a classically trained artist seeing people with pin heads and abnormally tall bodies with short arms makes me cringe.. oi! 

http://seams-couture.blogspot.com/2011/04/standard-proportions-for-sketching.html

Female Proportions

*laughs* I think my background in human anatomy helped when making my Avi, because honestly... I thought most of this was common sense until' I started seeing the armies of pin headed t-rex's running around

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jessica Pyara said:

OMG!!! I know the weather is crazy where I am, we're going from cold to hot, to muggy and raining.

It was winter-cold through most of April with a few days of reasonably pleasant; then rainy; then hot; then winter-cold/rainy...Now we're back to hot. WHERE ARE MY 65 DEGREE FAHRENHEIT DAYS, SPRING? WHERE?

(Also, kind of proud of myself for spelling "Fahrenheit" correctly on the first try, to be honest.)

1 minute ago, Jessica Pyara said:

*laughs* I think my background in human anatomy helped when making my Avi, because honestly... I thought most of this was common sense until' I started seeing the armies of pin headed t-rex's running around

No my dear, common sense is not that common! But, to be very fair, when you first start in SL it can be very overwhelming, and often people stick with trends and don't put that much effort into it because they are still just learning.  I think its an evolution for many. I know I was guilty of it at some point myself! But.. not pin head..never that! 

1 minute ago, Tess Falworth said:

No my dear, common sense is not that common! But, to be very fair, when you first start in SL it can be very overwhelming, and often people stick with trends and don't put that much effort into it because they are still just learning.  I think its an evolution for many. I know I was guilty of it at some point myself! But.. not pin head..never that! 

I know  at the very start I went through a phase where my arms were a little too short and hands a bit too small, but those are things when you start taking pictures (I did modeling to earn L$ in the beginning) those are things you notice look a little off and you adjust accordingly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fionalein said:

... and then you go back to T-rex arms after realizing the AO industry produces only for those...

I know!!! AO's are a whole other ball game, there are some that are so crazy,  like there is someone in the community I'm in that his arms just flail around like he's having one really serious conversation and scolding someone... but only from the elbow down because.... why does the whole arm need to move, xD they're basically stuck at his side

42 minutes ago, Jessica Pyara said:

I don't understand how people think it looks good! Like ... maybe I'm pretentious or something, but I take pride in my avi. Like I don't understand how do people think the pin heads, look good. Even when I didn't have RL $ to spend I earned my L$ to buy clothes, skins, hair AO's ect...

I don't understand it either, tbh. I'm visually impaired, so I spend a LOT of time, trying to make sure that my avie is proportionate. When I can't immediately spot something on me that looks off, I'll ask a friend to check it for me, since their eyes are better than mine. I'm always adjusting and readjusting. lol

But when it comes to walking around with a tiny head and overly large body, it should be glaringly obvious. Apparently, for many it isn't.

If someone wants to volunteer to be my eyes in-world and help a half-blind girl keep her avie in order, step right on up! I don't mind the input at all. LOL

Edited by Kristen Beornssen
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Kristen Beornssen said:

I don't understand it either, tbh. I'm visually impaired, so I spend a LOT of time, trying to make sure that my avie if proportionate. When I can't immediately spot something on me that looks off, I'll ask a friend to check it for me, since their eyes are better than mine. I'm always adjusting and readjusting. lol

But when it comes to walking around with a tiny head and overly large body, it should be glaringly obvious. Apparently, for many it isn't.

If someone wants to volunteer to be my eyes in-world and help a half-blind girl keep her avie in order, step right on up! I don't mind the input at all. LOL

I'll gladly help if you want it sometime!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kristen Beornssen said:

I agree and these people usually have nearly all of their sliders bumped up to 100. I used to keep my height slider between 60-65 about a year ago, but grew tired of colliding face first into the ample rear-ends of these glamazon giantesses every time I tped into a sim. Or when one would stand in front of me and totally block out the sun, the moon, and the stars!

I once got temporarily banned from a club, because the owner thought I was a kid....

snip

Personally, I don't know of any child avatars who are walking around with breasts, but I digress. I've also never had any problems with proportions, even at my current height and my avie appears much smaller (slimmer) in-world than it does in my pictures, despite me being pear-shaped. 

I've had the same problem. The manager did IM me and explain that he thought I most likely didn't intend to look young, but he'd rather be safe than sorry. I'm 6ft 2. I suppose it doesn't help that I am using Slink Hourglass without having 2ft wide hips, but even so there's no way you could confuse my avi with a child.

It's caused a few issues with misaligned poseballs (eg hovering midair while dancing), but upscaling my avatar without losing good proportions is easier said than done.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, AyelaNewLife said:

I've had the same problem. The manager did IM me and explain that he thought I most likely didn't intend to look young, but he'd rather be safe than sorry. I'm 6ft 2. I suppose it doesn't help that I am using Slink Hourglass without having 2ft wide hips, but even so there's no way you could confuse my avi with a child.

It's caused a few issues with misaligned poseballs (eg hovering midair while dancing), but upscaling my avatar without losing good proportions is easier said than done.

Same, I don't have super wide hips or enormous breasts, but I didn't think that I looked like a child either. I know all too well about the frustration of the misaligned poseballs. LOL

I can see if my avi was shorter, but it isn't. It seems that SL has made adjustments for the super tall avatars and expects the rest of us to catch up. I'm as tall/short as I'm going to get for the time being - as it is, I come up to most guys belly button.. I'm not trying to shrink down to his kneecaps. LOL

4 hours ago, Kristen Beornssen said:

I don't understand it either, tbh. I'm visually impaired, so I spend a LOT of time, trying to make sure that my avie is proportionate. When I can't immediately spot something on me that looks off, I'll ask a friend to check it for me, since their eyes are better than mine. I'm always adjusting and readjusting. lol

Happy to help as well :)

• Like 1