How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

5 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Many Scylla. Much me.

(If this doesn't give you nightmares, then you're probably pretty impervious to fear.)

Chronology

Amazing work, Scylla. It makes an excellent representation of how it feels when you meet someone with narcissistic personality disorder, all lovely and bright and happy to be love-bombed at first, having doubts with the first red flags, and ending up wilting in the darkness wondering what just happened.  I don't know what you personally were trying to convey, but this is what I took from the picture. Truly amazing. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

😲 Holy Crap-Tastic Batman!!!

Ok, again I am totally blown away by you people, and the simply AMAZING pictures that you all post, and the art in which they are. And they are ART! I have been in a few museums in my live, have seen art in various forms throughout my long years of life, and I can tell you all right now beyond a shadow of doubt, that some of these images and work you put out are ART. And this is from SL no less, where one wouldn't think such beautiful, meaningful, heart felt artwork could be found, much less created. And so this alone is a testament to all of you how skilled artist you actually are.
   Because even though you are gamers who play this semi-life simulation we call Second Life, you are also great artist who's work could be hung in any museum in the world. And I for one am honored and blessed to be able to see and bare witness to such creativity and beauty on display. Because of this, I have a idea that I am going to think upon before I move ahead with; one that I hope will at least give new players to SL, and we who play this game of ours, a wonderful gift which could inspire us all. Because point of fact, your work is inspirational... period. Love ya all, and keep up the great work...! 😁

Peace...

(P.S: And this is just one perfect example of why the BBC Interviewer had such a missed opportunity here as to what SL is and the people who play it...)

Edited by BjorJlen
I forgot to add the P.S:... Sigh
  • Like 8

19 minutes ago, BjorJlen said:

😲 Holy Crap-Tastic Batman!!!

Ok, again I am totally blown away by you people, and the simply AMAZING pictures that you all post, and the art in which they are. And they are ART! I have been in a few museums in my live, have seen art in various forms throughout my long years of life, and I can tell you all right now beyond a shadow of doubt, that some of these images and work you put out are ART. And this is from SL no less, where one wouldn't think such beautiful, meaningful, heart felt artwork could be found, much less created. And so this alone is a testament to all of you how skilled artist you actually are.
   Because even though you are gamers who play this semi-life simulation we call Second Life, you are also great artist who's work could be hung in any museum in the world. And I for one am honored and blessed to be able to see and bare witness to such creativity and beauty on display. Because of this, I have a idea that I am going to think upon before I move ahead with; one that I hope will at least give new players to SL, and we who play this game of ours, a wonderful gift which could inspire us all. Because point of fact, your work is inspirational... period. Love ya all, and keep up the great work...! 😁

Peace...

(P.S: And this is just one perfect example of why the BBC Interviewer had such a missed opportunity here as to what SL is and the people who play it...)

That's the thing I love the most about Second Life. It does bring out something in all of us, maybe even a skill we didn't know we had.  There are writers, artists, decorators, creators of flora and fauna, there was even a legendary maker of sex beds! The trouble with the BBC/media generally is they are more keen to dish the dirt.  There are different communities within Second Life too. And the BBC reporter missed all of it. He did not even scratch the surface of what adventures and dopamine "fixes" are available within Second Life. 

But I am going off topic. 

The nice thing about this particular thread is it is very civilised, there is no competition, everyone is giving something of their inner personality via what they show, and most people are absolutely beautiful on the inside. I am always in total awe when someone shares a photo that hits me where I live, and I just want to remember here one of our former beloved residents, who sadly was taken in real life far too young in 2013. Osprey Therian. Her entry for a Second Life competition entitled Lost Love was one of the best pieces of art I ever saw here on the forums. 

• Like 11

Wow... so much to comment on...

On 11/6/2021 at 8:02 PM, PixelBerry said:

Mask.

I feel like my snapshots always end up looking low quality lol. 🙃

Snapshot_009.png

No one but you knows what you were trying for. Often a low contrast or other non-typical image setting is used to set a mood. The audience can't know unless you tell them.

On 11/7/2021 at 1:15 AM, Marianne Little said:

I have seen some good pictures from you lately, but here you should noticed the hand looks very unnatural... Avoid it next time, take another picture when the AO shifts stand. ;)

Black Dragon is my preferred viewer when planning on taking images of my avatar. I have used Anypose and I do when in Firestorm and don't want to take time to change viewers.

Both make it easy to fix animation/pose problems.

On 11/7/2021 at 9:47 AM, Eddy Vortex said:

It took me too long to understand that not all animations are created equal.  This thread explains how some animations will not work with all body shape types.

What I usually do when using an ill-fitting pose is I either change the camera angle to obscure the imperfection or use Anypose to adjust the limbs into place.

Some shops sell animations in sizes; small, medium, and large. They usually reference avatar height. If the animator uses natural human proportions and your avatar is well proportioned, they work pretty well. If not... they suck.

On 11/7/2021 at 10:48 AM, Danielle Atheria said:

One day I’ll figure out what the like criteria is for this thread lol…

You are not the first to wonder about that. Earlier in this thread we have had that discussions about LIKES, at least, a couple of times. From the few that commented this time I think you'll get the idea there is no single way people think about them. Each of us has a different idea about the LIKES. And several of us have a variety of reasons for clicking LIKE when we do.

Some people get an idea about them and never bother to check with the rest of us to see if we operate on the same idea.

Others are here to get LIKES. And they have various reasons for wanting those LIKES. Some of those reasons have nothing to do with reality, which makes it really hard to figure them out.

Often my clicks depend on my mood, which varies throughout the day.

The number of likes varies by the time you look at the post. On the first day 6 to 12 LIKES is common. Three days later the same post may have 25 LIKES. I haven't been on much the last 3 or 4 days and I am catching up today. So, I've seen several ~25 click mages.

Also we are clickish, have friends, like specific styles of images, DISLIKE other styles, some of us have the hots for some posting here, have biases and prejudices, BF & GF fights, varied levels of tolerance (Bobbie posted TOO MANY so so images for me - but I miss her), and various disagreements. I think all those things affect clicks.

20 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Splish splash. 

Be gentle with me, I don't have Photoshop. I am never sure if I do the water right.

52 Weeks of Color Challenge - Orange

OK... that water is AWESOME!

There are people that spend a day or more working on getting water "right" and don't get this close. Most photorealistic images with splashes use copy/paste from a photo with a RL splash.

20 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I mostly only skim the thread these days, but do posters really have to worry about rough comments on their pictures these days?

I thought this thread was really just about folks showing off their avatars, rather than folks getting critiqued for their photography skills.

It is a bit of an exhibitionist's thread.

Most of us hold comments about art and tech skill unless comment is asked for. On this forum this thread has a VERY polite group, at least within this thread.

13 hours ago, Bagnu said:

I haven't seen any rough comments. Everyone is really supportive!!!

😧 Oh.... here let me fix that...

Get your eyes checked and buy glasses... 😜

• Like 8

@Truestar Mokeev and @Charalyne Blackwood -- Awww, thank you both! Truestar, I love hearing about how people "read" pics (and not just mine), so thank you especially for that! I learn stuff! So cool!

@Marigold Devin -- Thanks Marigold! The pic was actually part of a series on the subject of "time" that I put together for an exhibition, so this one is entitled "Chronology." But I'm just one reader of my own pic; I don't get the final say (or want it). I like your reading of it!

I do try to leave enough ambiguity in many of my pics that viewers can actively engage with them to produce their own narratives and stories from them. It seems to me that a good work of art should be more like a Socratic dialogue than a learn-by-rote lecture, so I really enjoy it when I hear other interpretations and readings of the things I produce. I've ended up with some terrifically good insights as a result -- things in my pics that I didn't even realize were there, in some cases!

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Maitimo said:

51668423859_0e00932a14_b.jpg

Autumn's End

Nice colorful picture with the fall colors all around and you dancing like that overjoyed because of the season. :) However, please forgive me for asking a (sorta) obvious question here, but what happened to your right hand? Did a evil squirrel eat it because he was angry about winter coming? Just asking... :)

Peace...

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, BjorJlen said:

Nice colorful picture with the fall colors all around and you dancing like that overjoyed because of the season. :) However, please forgive me for asking a (sorta) obvious question here, but what happened to your right hand? Did a evil squirrel eat it because he was angry about winter coming? Just asking... :)

Peace...

I've been missing my right hand in SL since about 2010 (whenever it was that Slink brought out their mesh hands and made it possible).  

I used to tell people it got bitten off by a Rock Monster in Linden realms, but hardly anyone plays that any more and a joke isn't funny if I have to explain it. So now I tell people it was a dreadful teleport accident. You know, when you arrive in a place and mesh bodyparts are flying all over the place and that part never came back.

The boring truth is that I lost my hand and part of my lower arm in RL a looong time ago, and I wanted to reflect that in my avatar. I've tried a number of different mods, none of them are exactly the right length/shape but this one's the closest, just a little too short but not much.

Edited by Maitimo
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Great shot, Misha! - I love the colours and the rain and the double-exposure!

It's been a long time since I went to Kowloon. I should drop by again!

Scylla thank you!:) I'm very glad that you react it! If you visit Kowloon, it will be very interesting for me to see your photo)

• Like 2

On 11/5/2021 at 2:05 PM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Wow. So many great pics today. I don't want to spam the thread (more than I usually do) so . . .

@Orwar -- I'm not used to seeing pics from you taken in daylight! Tell Mina she looks great, and will be the talk of the checkout lane at Celeste. (Tell me you're not buying that backdrop!)

@Ayeleeon -- Really great use of shadow and silhouette! I love the composition. You really create an impression of anticipation and maybe tension!

@Manu Mysterious -- Beautiful AND cute! And yes, the hair is a standout. Exile has really improved their texturing recently!

@VictoriaGrwd -- You've always taken really high-quality pics, for as long as I've been watching on this thread. But you seem to have really upped your game recently. I love the serenity and quietness and latent emotion in these! Lovely lovely lovely.

@eyeye Afterthought -- Awwwwwwwww!! (I had no idea there was such a place. I have only a small handful of Linden bears: how easy is it to steal some there?)

@Sinaice -- Beautiful colours. And the pose is lovely too!

@JeromFranzic -- I love the impromptu look of this pic, and the background. Also, green hair! (How much to ride the rocket ship?)

@BelindaN -- Just lovely, Belinda. Everything about it. And yes you've convinced me I need that sweater.

You people are all brilliant. It's just lovely to see you here.

Thanks! It cost me nothing to ride the rocket ship :) LOL. It's in an adult sim so no kids allowed there... but I'm sure similar rockets are available elsewhere. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Maitimo said:

I've been missing my right hand in SL since about 2010 (whenever it was that Slink brought out their mesh hands and made it possible).  

I used to tell people it got bitten off by a Rock Monster in Linden realms, but hardly anyone plays that any more and a joke isn't funny if I have to explain it. So now I tell people it was a dreadful teleport accident. You know, when you arrive in a place and mesh bodyparts are flying all over the place and that part never came back.

The boring truth is that I lost my hand and part of my lower arm in RL a looong time ago, and I wanted to reflect that in my avatar. I've tried a number of different mods, none of them are exactly the right length/shape but this one's the closest, just a little too short but not much.

I am very sorry to hear about your loss Maitimo, though extremely happy that you chose to incorporate it into SL and your avatar. I always love seeing people add RL things into SL that are important in some way to them, even if it is a sad thing such as loosing a arm. So fantastic job in that! On a side note though, when you say mods, what do you mean by that? The first thing that comes to my mind is to use a body HUD and just make that part of your arm "invisible". If that is what you have done, great but if it isn't and you use a actual mod instead of a HUD (or part of a alpha) the I would like to know what. :) I am always curious... :)

Peace...

• Like 8