How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

1 hour ago, Gwin LeShelle said:

I don't think I need to be made feel bad for this one ;) 

True, It isn't even a question I thought up. I heard someone else bring it up a while ago, and personally am not sure what I think. I ask it now and then to get others thoughts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Istelathis said:

I went with one of the default avatars that come with SL, added a BOM mesh Ruth avatar body, head, hands, etc to smooth things out.  Unfortunately, I did not use the alpha to cover my hips.. 

jar.thumb.png.132b4961c79f1f3c5f686ef3c963e97d.png

I'll have to find the alpha HUD later on, but I just wanted to experiment around with the default avatars to see how they would look with a Ruth avatar.

That's one of the first things I did after I arrived last April to SL. I love Ilana's hair... I've used it lots of times with different outfits. :)

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Ayeleeon said:

But does it help promote the idea that smoking is glamorous and this increase the chance that others might smoke in RL?

I get this argument, because it has been one used since the dawn of time in regards to smoking in movies, celebrities seen smoking in pics etc.  I disagree with it because I am not someone so easily swayed as to do something just cos I see someone else doing it, but I do realise some people can be.

I don't smoke in RL.  I quit doing that about 16 years ago.  However, I do not judge people who do, nor do I demonise them.  Considering the price for a packet of 20 cigarettes costs $35.90NZD ($25.20USD)...well its too ridiculously expensive anyway. 

I do "smoke" in pictures I take in SL, not because I think its glamorous or anything.  Sometimes it just adds atmosphere or attitude to the picture.  I see it as a prop.

Just my 10 cents, and another perspective!

51225637928_3b7753f718_c.jpg

Edited by Jordan Whitt
  • Like 20

13 hours ago, Ayeleeon said:

But does it help promote the idea that smoking is glamorous and this increase the chance that others might smoke in RL?

Yes, it does help to promote that. Whether anyone wants to accept it or not. Anything that anyone posts on here regardless of the negativity it might exhibit, if in an aesthetic format it will draw someone in, in a psychological way. It's just that... most people do not think beyond the aesthetic images they are posting.

Edited by xLunaea
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Ayeleeon said:

True, It isn't even a question I thought up. I heard someone else bring it up a while ago, and personally am not sure what I think. I ask it now and then to get others thoughts.

I used to smoke for more than 20 years , seeing avatars smoking doesn''t actually make me think of anything in regards to smoking so i suppose it's fine with me. Actually it's a bit silly because in a similar way we could say that watching avatars having sex without a condom promotes unsafe sex or having them drive cars/motorcycles without the use of seat belts/helmets promotes unsafe driving.

Edited by Nick0678
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

16 hours ago, Ayeleeon said:

I do not smoke IRL. (I'm asthmatic, and if I did smoke I'd probably end up in a hospital bed, therefore I've never even touched a cigarette.) My avatar, however, is a smoker. If I take the occasional photo of him and he happens to be smoking, then I'm capturing a part of who he is in the same way that I might take a candid photo of a RL mate who happened to be smoking at the time.

We should have a care for the chilling effect that words can have on someone's artistic expression. This forum has already lost one person who was castigated for a single image that he posted. His photography was incredible, but the last image that he posted here before he stopped posting altogether featured a handgun. It was a shot worthy of a classic 50s noir movie poster, and it told its story beautifully, but he was roundly taken to task for glorifying violence. I personally miss seeing his images here, but he still posts on Flickr. He just left this thread (and the forum altogether) because of what was said about his creative work.

Apologies for continuining the derail (I fully expect to get slapped on the wrist by one of the people who like to police the occasional discussion point in an image thread) and without posting an image of my own to 'keep my post within the "rules" of the thread' (since I, too, no longer directly post my images here; if people want to know what my avatar looks like on any given day then they can check my Flickr, which is easily searchable) but having experienced almost a year long chilling effect on my own SL photography because of a thread that took place elsewhere on this forum - one that I only actually realised had had a chilling effect on my creative expression relatively recently - I needed to add my voice to this point.

• Like 19

A final : You yourselves decide to post here or not.

Stop being childish claiming others are the cause of you not posting here. 

Grow up.

P.S. I wrote several requests to Conall to keep posting here which fell unanswered on deaf ears. So his choice only. 

Edited by TDD123
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, xLunaea said:

Yes, it does help to promote that. Whether anyone wants to accept it or not. Anything that anyone posts on here regardless of the negativity it might exhibit, if in an aesthetic format it will draw someone in, in a psychological way. It's just that... most people do not think beyond the aesthetic images they are posting.

I believe you are 18+ like hopefully most of us?

• You decide to buy Cigarettes
  • You decide to light and smoke it
  • You should know better
  • You damage your body

If you jump in your car and buy cigs because of an SL picture and because u think it makes you "glamerous and cool" as an adult, no one can really help you annyways. Its your health. Im a former smoker too btw. Dont put your own responsibility on others and blame them.

Edited by CoraxCorv
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Putting my 2 cents in here.  I've smoked 1 cigarette IRL and it was nothing special.  Wouldn't do it again, because I simply saw no point in it.  Was raised around smokers. 

However, on the rare occasion, I have taken a picture of my character smoking.  Why? because it fit the artistic mood I was going for.  Will that one picture make some random internet stranger decide to start smoking?  I highly doubt it.  If a simple picture triggers someone to pick up a habit like that, they were already inclined to do so, and are just using that as an excuse so they don't have to take responsibility for their choices. 

• Like 7

On 9/27/2021 at 12:26 AM, Conifer Dada said:

In a few hours I'll have officially been in Second Life for 15 years so I thought I'd better get some pictures in case I automatically turn into a pumpkin at midnight (SL time!). CD 15 Years in SL 01.jpg

First off, as a relative newcomer to SL and these boards,  I want to say congratulations and Happy Birthday!

Secondly, within the relatively homogenous aesthetic of these boards,  I wanted to compliment you on the contrasting loveliness and uniqueness of your avatar.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1