How does your avatar look today ?

• Replies 36.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is my current avatar. She's an Usagi Child ^.^  

i was wondering around a SIM one day, and some dude private messaged me tellin' me he loved my look... he was very polite and kind, asked me to stop running and turn my AO off for him, so i did... the

I find it very entertaining to switch my looks according to my mood. I woke up one day and decided to change my shape into a more petite and "model" look.   Before (with Genesis Lab bento head):

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Ashlyn Voir said:

Eva, I’d appreciate it if you didn’t assume I was a troll because I’m not. And, I don’t think people understand what a troll is. All I simply stated was that you could genuinely take good photos and they get ignored because you don’t fit in on these forums. And, I think it’s a shame. That’s all I said. I’m not trolling at all.

Ashlyn, this isn't an academy for the fine arts or even, really, a "photography" thread -- for the latter, you should be going to the Creation board, where there is a subforum devoted to photography and art.

This is a community of people sharing pictures of their avatars. There are virtually no guidelines as to what is "acceptable" here (beyond those provided by the CS and TOS itself): a simple snapshot of a noobie system avatar is, actually, every bit as "acceptable" and deserving of "likes" here as the finest example of photography.

So, you're misunderstanding the criteria by which things are "liked" here, because they vary widely from person to person. But because it is a community, one general rubric is that we tend to like the pics of people who function as part of that community. That doesn't mean (as you seem to be suggesting) becoming part of some sort of coterie or secret society: it means engaging positively and supportively  with everyone else here.

So far, your "engagement" here has mainly been to complain about the lack of "likes" you are awarded, and the poor quality of other people's pictures. Have you ever "liked" any of the pictures of others here?

On top of which, you have, I believe, definitely trolled members of the community here in these forums, and on Flickr, in terms that were extremely abusive.

I think that this is a very welcoming group of people. There are occasional conflicts and such, of course, but new people post here all the time and are immediately welcomed and made to feel as though they belong. As could you, if that were what you were interested in. But, apparently, it is not, and you have instead gone out of your way to alienate others here, or even attack them.

I'd like to think that you would still be accepted here, and even welcomed, if you treated this thread as a community to which you belong.

But if that's not the case, then, honestly, you're just posting your pics in the wrong place.

Obviously, you can keep posting here -- I'm not suggesting you should leave. But if what you are looking for is a place where the only criterion applied to pictures is their "excellence" as photographs, you're just going to continue to be disappointed and put out here.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 15
3 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

I got a Shergood helicopter because it was the most realistic I could find. That check is is sort of required. That have a quick start that automatically runs through the copter and takes to ready for flight. All those gauges work. This is the EC-135 that is more manual. The H-160 is way automated. Both have a serious learning curve.

I am more intimidated than I can say by this pic!

After 11+ years in SL, I'm still bumping into walls when I walk around.

I can't even begin to imagine the havoc I'd wreak flying about in something like this.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Ashlyn Voir said:

No one is demanding anything, but I think it’s obvious why some get likes and others get a few. Some have heavily modified snapshots and still get plenty of likes, so I fail to see your point. I’m just making an observation.

I got 20 likes and all I did was take a goofy pic of my avatar standing in front of some amplifiers while holding their guitar. I don't participate in the forum much and until then i'd never posted a photo here. Plus my avatar is furry. If anyone was going to have reason to suspect people were ignoring my avatar it would be the weirdo kangaroo dude. Ultimately likes depend on who's around and whether they dig something or not. Different people are going to dig different stuff. I think you're taking chaotic randomness a little too personally. 

• Like 8
Just now, Madelaine McMasters said:

So long as I'm in the air, I'm flyin'.

True.  I was referring to the looking hot part however .. 😆

• Haha 3
3 hours ago, Ashlyn Voir said:

It’s not how good you are on these forums. It’s how many people actually like you. You could be actually good and get ignored or as few likes compared to something less, but because they’re popular or more well liked, they get likes. 

I don't know about that, man. I haven't been on these forums very long and I think I got quite a few likes on my picture here from plenty of people who I don't know and they don't know me. I don't even pay attention to who is posting their pictures unless the picture in question blows me away. If I like a picture/post, I'm going to "like" it. If I don't like it or am simply indifferent to it, I will simply scroll by. And I'd venture to guess that everyone else more or less does the same thing. And as someone else mentioned, this isn't about the quality of photographs. The question was asked: "how does your avatar look today?" Some are posting really well produced snapshots and photoshops. Some are posting just regular snapshots with varying degrees of quality. Every single one is valid, regardless of how many likes they get. And it is up to each viewer whether or not they like that picture. If they do, great. If they don't, it's not that big of a deal. Second Life, inworld and out-of-world (like the forums), is a really great experience if you don't try so hard. 

• Like 7
3 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

Women who fly like that should be wearing brown pants!

Give it time . They ' ll turn brown soon enough when landing the plane.

• Haha 3
2 hours ago, Charlotte Whimsy said:

I don't know about that, man. I haven't been on these forums very long and I think I got quite a few likes on my picture here from plenty of people who I don't know and they don't know me. I don't even pay attention to who is posting their pictures unless the picture in question blows me away. If I like a picture/post, I'm going to "like" it. If I don't like it or am simply indifferent to it, I will simply scroll by. And I'd venture to guess that everyone else more or less does the same thing. And as someone else mentioned, this isn't about the quality of photographs. The question was asked: "how does your avatar look today?" Some are posting really well produced snapshots and photoshops. Some are posting just regular snapshots with varying degrees of quality. Every single one is valid, regardless of how many likes they get. And it is up to each viewer whether or not they like that picture. If they do, great. If they don't, it's not that big of a deal. Second Life, inworld and out-of-world (like the forums), is a really great experience if you don't try so hard. 

From my observation, I heavily disagree and there definitely is something more to it, but it’s whatever. The whole internet is like that anyway. People in general are like that. Besides, it’s one against many. Of course, I’d be invalid. 

34 minutes ago, Ashlyn Voir said:

From my observation, I heavily disagree and there definitely is something more to it, but it’s whatever. The whole internet is like that anyway. People in general are like that. Besides, it’s one against many. Of course, I’d be invalid. 

I'm sorry that that's your observation. I hope things start looking up for you.

Anyway. My avatar looks a little like Leon from RE2.

lol, see what I mean when I got a little bit of likes compared to everyone else who has like 15-30 likes, but my picture gets purposefully ignored because people just wont admit to the fact they don’t like me and keep it real. And people claim it’s not about anything to make it seem like I’m the one starting something but I’m only telling the truth. Yeah whatever. Straight up BS.

664D11AA-25CD-4A80-9CF2-EF63F7C8BF3F.png

Edited by Ashlyn Voir
Because I hate everyone
  • Like 8
5 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I am more intimidated than I can say by this pic!

After 11+ years in SL, I'm still bumping into walls when I walk around.

I can't even begin to imagine the havoc I'd wreak flying about in something like this.

😆 I littered the SL landscape from Eden to Bellaseria with burning wrecks. 🙄 I don't know how many times someone has IM'd me, "Your helicopter is over here stuck in my swimming pool." :$ 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2