How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

1 hour ago, Seicher Rae said:

Spamming because I haven't taken photos for so long (or even been inworld). 

I am afraid of Photoshop. Don't judge. This is a rare PS for me. I liked the screenshot, and got some nice blur with depth of field, but I wanted more motion-type blur. So I did :) with PS. I didn't die and my computer didn't splode so I got really daring and added some noise, messed a bit with the contrast and did a smidge of cropping. IKR? I need a drink now...

ETA: Oh yeah, bees! :)

bees 042220_006 ps blur.jpg

You did well.

Photoshop is endless. I suspect a life time is not enough time to learn all the aspects of Photoshop. I use it for work. I learn more about it playing with images for SL. That knowledge travels back to accomplishing work tasks better. But it is in the playing that I have time to play and experiment.

Edited by Nalates Urriah
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Charlotte Whimsy said:

I recently discovered I like SL boating. That is not something I thought I would particularly care for. I said, "boating in SL does not sound exciting." Turns out that if I turn my draw distance up past 32, it does become more interesting and--dare I say it--FUN!!!

Boating is fun! Mostly, I zip around the mainland and Bellisseria on my scooter: there's more to see, but I should really sail more often.

I have a little motorboat I use sometimes: it's very pretty and not difficult to handle, but I've discovered recently how much more involved sailboats can be. It might be fun to try that one day. And sailboats have the advantage (I suspect) that they handle region crossings better. I have, on a few occasions, found myself treading water while my boat zipped off by itself across the adjoining sim.

617927871_Lost-Boat-Forum-2-Blank.thumb.png.4666b820389cbd630a27fbbed82083ee.png

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

13 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Boating is fun! Mostly, I zip around the mainland and Bellisseria on my scooter: there's more to see, but I should really sail more often.

I have a little motorboat I use sometimes: it's very pretty and not difficult to handle, but I've discovered recently how much more involved sailboats can be. It might be fun to try that one day. And sailboats have the advantage (I suspect) that they handle region crossings better. I have, on a few occasions, found myself treading water while my boat zipped off by itself across the adjoining sim.

Their more fun with cannons.  Of course you do end up in the water a lot more often as your ship sinks out from under  you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, Amanda Dallin said:

Their more fun with cannons.  Of course you do end up in the water a lot more often as your ship sinks out from under  you.

Unless of course you learn how to "cross the T," as Nelson did at Trafalgar!!

/me proudly shows off the ONE bit of obscure naval military history that she actually knows

(You do know that, as a Canadian, I'm rooting for the other side in your naval battles, right? Damned Yankee rebels!)

• Haha 4

19 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

That happened to me during one of the boat parades in Bellisseria! lol I crossed a border, my boat was returned to lost & found, and I was neatly placed at 0,0,0 for a minute.

• Haha 2

Sailing is fun. Having a route adds to the challenge, which I think makes it more fun. The Topless Cruisers (SLURL) do a weekly cruise that happens 1PM SLT Tuesdays. And it is topless... 

I got a Shergood helicopter because it was the most realistic I could find. That check is is sort of required. That have a quick start that automatically runs through the copter and takes to ready for flight. All those gauges work. This is the EC-135 that is more manual. The H-160 is way automated. Both have a serious learning curve.

For me the copters and flying were more of a puzzle to solve. But flying... if you want to explore SL this is the way. Flying in mainland is difficult but it is awesome. You can find so much stuff. And women that fly look hot...

49802846736_6b8a7b8863_b.jpg

NalFly_016.thumb.jpg.db5273f72de6d233f89978db87d7b797.jpg

• Like 21

38 minutes ago, Charlotte Whimsy said:

I'm going to agree with everyone else here, I love this version a lot. The PS version is very nice, but I really, really love what you've got going on here in the raw version. You are very talented! Can I actually use this one in a photo frame for my apartment? I'll pay you if that's a problem, you know, with rights and all that. But this is one of those SL photographs that really speak to me. Also, do you display your photography anywhere like a gallery? I just scrolled up and saw your Flickr. Followed. Sorry if I'm obsessing, this is amazing to me. Absolutely stunning. Bravo!

Wow. Thank you! I'm rather speechless. You're too kind. Yes, you may use this, just obviously for your own use, etc. I'm flattered you want it and appreciative that you asked. When I had more land I did have a bit of a gallery (that no one visited, lol). Thank you for the follow, too.

It's interesting to see how different people are reacting, PS or not. I see good/bad in both.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Ashlyn Voir said:

It’s not how good you are on these forums. It’s how many people actually like you. You could be actually good and get ignored or as few likes compared to something less, but because they’re popular or more well liked, they get likes. 

Your good doesn't have to be everyone else's good. Tastes differ and that's a good thing.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Ashlyn Voir said:

It’s not how good you are on these forums. It’s how many people actually like you. You could be actually good and get ignored or as few likes compared to something less, but because they’re popular or more well liked, they get likes. 

I'ts not only about being good .. it's in the first place to "show"  .... seen quite some new posters get lots of likes, in very different styles, but also with just unmodified snapshots.
If somebody comes in and "demands" likes, it perhaps gets ugly fast.

• Like 4

Just now, Alwin Alcott said:

I'ts not only about being good .. it's in the first place to "show"  .... seen quite some new posters get lots of likes, in very different styles, but also with just unmodified snapshots.
If somebody comes in and "demands" likes, it perhaps gets ugly fast.

No one is demanding anything, but I think it’s obvious why some get likes and others get a few. Some have heavily modified snapshots and still get plenty of likes, so I fail to see your point. I’m just making an observation.

15 minutes ago, Ashlyn Voir said:

I don't get why you care about the whole 'liking' pictures thing? It literally has no meaning or impact. If this was Flickr, I'd understand, but this is a forum. A place to share and discuss, not a popularity contest.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Eva Knoller said:

Don't feed it guys!

Eva, I’d appreciate it if you didn’t assume I was a troll because I’m not. And, I don’t think people understand what a troll is. All I simply stated was that you could genuinely take good photos and they get ignored because you don’t fit in on these forums. And, I think it’s a shame. That’s all I said. I’m not trolling at all.

1 hour ago, Ashlyn Voir said:

Eva, I’d appreciate it if you didn’t assume I was a troll because I’m not. And, I don’t think people understand what a troll is. All I simply stated was that you could genuinely take good photos and they get ignored because you don’t fit in on these forums. And, I think it’s a shame. That’s all I said. I’m not trolling at all.

Ashlyn, this isn't an academy for the fine arts or even, really, a "photography" thread -- for the latter, you should be going to the Creation board, where there is a subforum devoted to photography and art.

This is a community of people sharing pictures of their avatars. There are virtually no guidelines as to what is "acceptable" here (beyond those provided by the CS and TOS itself): a simple snapshot of a noobie system avatar is, actually, every bit as "acceptable" and deserving of "likes" here as the finest example of photography.

So, you're misunderstanding the criteria by which things are "liked" here, because they vary widely from person to person. But because it is a community, one general rubric is that we tend to like the pics of people who function as part of that community. That doesn't mean (as you seem to be suggesting) becoming part of some sort of coterie or secret society: it means engaging positively and supportively  with everyone else here.

So far, your "engagement" here has mainly been to complain about the lack of "likes" you are awarded, and the poor quality of other people's pictures. Have you ever "liked" any of the pictures of others here?

On top of which, you have, I believe, definitely trolled members of the community here in these forums, and on Flickr, in terms that were extremely abusive.

I think that this is a very welcoming group of people. There are occasional conflicts and such, of course, but new people post here all the time and are immediately welcomed and made to feel as though they belong. As could you, if that were what you were interested in. But, apparently, it is not, and you have instead gone out of your way to alienate others here, or even attack them.

I'd like to think that you would still be accepted here, and even welcomed, if you treated this thread as a community to which you belong.

But if that's not the case, then, honestly, you're just posting your pics in the wrong place.

Obviously, you can keep posting here -- I'm not suggesting you should leave. But if what you are looking for is a place where the only criterion applied to pictures is their "excellence" as photographs, you're just going to continue to be disappointed and put out here.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 15

3 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

I got a Shergood helicopter because it was the most realistic I could find. That check is is sort of required. That have a quick start that automatically runs through the copter and takes to ready for flight. All those gauges work. This is the EC-135 that is more manual. The H-160 is way automated. Both have a serious learning curve.

I am more intimidated than I can say by this pic!

After 11+ years in SL, I'm still bumping into walls when I walk around.

I can't even begin to imagine the havoc I'd wreak flying about in something like this.

• Like 3