How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

7 hours ago, Dano Seale said:

Well, that went down like a lead balloon again I see! Not a great shock though as stated in my forum profile:
"Being English I tend to have that dry, sarcastic humour we're famous for....which tends to get me in a lot of s**t in text, usually with Americans! Believe me, it's never my intention to upset anybody but yeah, it can happen, so...sorry if it does."

Yes Scylla, it WAS intended as a joke and a compliment. "faffing material", seriously? For one thing, I've not "faffed" over a static picture since I was about 13 yrs old and found out it was capable of being useful for a lot more things than just peeing out of FFS! 
Would I consider the tastefully positioned (copy) statue of '
Michelangelo's David' in the hallway of your mansion your private "diddling" spot? Or the nymph's and nudes of the great masters (that show a lot more than this photo) on your walls as "faffing material? Of course not, it's "art"....apparently! Well, that's how I see Seicher's photo, tastefully posed, beautifully constructed and, if put into a nice frame...art! Totally NOT "erotic" by the way, unless I was a foot fetishist....which I'm not!
As a piece of "art", where else would I hang it? It's a bathroom scene, out of place in the living room, silly in the kitchen and way too tame for the bedroom (you lot would probably burn me at the stake if you ever looked in there!), but whatever!

Seicher - As mentioned above, my only intention was for decoration and to save a beautifully taken photo to be admired often instead of it being lost in the numerous pages of this thread. I thought it deserved better. There was no intention to distribute or gain money from it whatsoever.
My attempt to inform you in the way my post was written obviously fell flat and I deeply apologise for any confusion and/or upset caused to you. Due to the reactions here I've ditched the idea now and deleted the photo. Sorry once again.

*Disclaimer for everyone else:
NO!...I haven't taken ANYONE else's pic's from here! 

I'm English too, and I don't get you half the time. 

Deadpan humour may play very well in your head, but it isn't humour if it's only actually funny inside your head. Deadpan humour tends to only really work with a deadpan real life face going along with it.

Nevertheless, Dano, keep on being you, we'll all get used to you in time. 

• Like 3

@Dano Seale Did your parents not raise you to have proper British manners? As a British bloke myself, middle-aged, all I can say is that it's not a "cultural misunderstanding".  Had you just said to Seicher, "That is a beautiful piece of art, please may I have your permission to print and frame it, and hang it in my RL home?" I'm sure she would have been happy to say yes.

Edited by Matty Luminos
said something that might have got me suspended
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Bath time. Looking slightly different without make-up... 🤣

608952.jpg?width=1200

This one desaturated and softened slightly.

608951.jpg?width=1200

And this one is the same skin etc, just on my female body & head.

608953.jpg?width=1200

Edited by Matty Luminos
  • Like 25

2 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

Did your parents not raise you to have proper British manners?

Yes, but I don't see how using them when attempting to tell a joke or be humourous comes into play? (Kind of kills the overall effect IMO).

all I can say is that it's not a "cultural misunderstanding".

I never said it was. Everyone else did!  I c&p'd that part from my profile to emphasize that my humour often gets taken wrong/badly in text and apologized in advance. People decided to concentrate on the "....usually Americans" part only, which is just my factual observations and experiences over 15+ years of the internet. 

Had you just said to Seicher, "That is a beautiful piece of art, please may I have your permission to print and frame it, and hang it in my RL home?" I'm sure she would have been happy to say yes.

Yes well, she did actually say the same thing as this in her original responses but maybe you missed those?

And....."with the intention of putting it into a nice frame and hanging it in the bathroom of my SL home."....let's have it right mate, ok?

• Like 1

Testing some new wind lights and photo tricks for low Rez images... honestly, I like it very much. I love shadows, etc.. and ultra pics but they are not always what I want and not everyone can run sl that high for pics without lagging, etc. This still keeps detail and makes everything look pretty ^_^

10631659_tesslowrezpictest3_001.thumb.png.d02fd4b3a6c8460ec33c6c40d5d9be9c.png

• Like 24

1 hour ago, Dano Seale said:

that part from my profile to emphasize that my humour often gets taken wrong/badly in text and apologized in advance

Not to belabour this, but . . .

Seicher made a number of good points in her responses to you, but maybe the most important was in relation to this idea that you seem to have that "apologizing in advance" for something that you know is going to go over badly, but fully intend to do anyway, makes it all "ok."

If I walked into a room and told the people there that I was probably going to punch them in the face, but I wanted to apologize in advance . . . that wouldn't make punching them in the face any more acceptable, would it? In fact, in some ways, it makes it worse, because it demonstrates that I know I'm going to doing something crappy, but am too egocentric to stop myself from doing it. At the best your "apologies" before and after come across as disingenuous and insincere, because you don't seem to regret your behaviour enough to change it. An apology isn't a "Get Out of Jail Free" card, especially when it indicates that you already know full well that you're going to be offensive, and just don't care enough to do anything about it.

I think, actually, that you're probably, at heart, a pretty nice guy. I think you mean well, and that you want to make friends and become a member of the really nice little community we have on these forums. And I think that's still more than possible. But it's going to require a bit of effort from you.

Get rid of that stupid and senseless "I apologize in advance for being a boor" that's on your profile, and maybe instead work a little harder at not being one? Think twice, or maybe three times, before you click the Submit button. Ask yourself how it might be received. And when you make mistakes (which we all do, not least of all me), respond with an unqualified apology that acknowledges that you screwed up, rather than dredging up this idea that knowing you were going to be offensive somehow excuses it.

You're a smart guy, right? You can do this!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

And when you make mistakes (which we all do, not least of all me), respond with an unqualified apology that acknowledges that you screwed up, rather than dredging up this idea that knowing you were going to be offensive somehow excuses it.

Yeah, I have a nasty habit of trying to over explain my side of things when things go wrong....often making the subject a lot worse. This business is a case in point. My bad!

25 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Get rid of that stupid and senseless "I apologize in advance for being a boor" that's on your profile,

Will do. It was just an attempt at hoping people might see it and look a little more into what I may have written before sticking the pitchfork into me! Doesn't work...got it thanks.

28 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I think, actually, that you're probably, at heart, a pretty nice guy. I think you mean well, and that you want to make friends and become a member of the really nice little community we have on these forums. And I think that's still more than possible. But it's going to require a bit of effort from you.

And then some! lol.  Thanks for your understanding and words of wisdom, I appreciate it Scylla*. I'll try to curtail my boorish humour and not upset people again. I'll also (belatedly) take a piece of Seicher's advice and just say "sorry", and move on.

* Not sarcasm....just in case!

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Seicher Rae said:

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

lighthouse imagination 032420_001.jpg

lighthouse imagination 032420_002.jpg

ETA: Geez my hands look huge in these pix. I wonder if something got reset?? I suppose it could be an optical illusion with the camera settings?

That can happen. The default camera settings use about a 50mm lense. When you get close, with a couple of meters, you can see some distortion. To see it in action zoom in very close to your face. Fill the screen with just your face. Capture that image. Now zoom out to where your whole avatar is about a third of the vertical height of your screen. Now press Ctrl-0 until you face fills the screen again. Capture that image and compare.

Ctrl-8, 9, and 0 adjust the lense setting of the camera. 8 takes it wide angle going 50mm toward 35mm, 0 takes it telephoto going 50mm toward 200mm. 9 returns it to 50mm.

3 hours ago, Tess Falworth said:

Testing some new wind lights and photo tricks for low Rez images... honestly, I like it very much. I love shadows, etc.. and ultra pics but they are not always what I want and not everyone can run sl that high for pics without lagging, etc. This still keeps detail and makes everything look pretty ^_^

When I get the settings I want there is usually a lot of lag. For pictures lag is not a concern for me. With my old computer I would get a picture mostly setup and then kick the settings up. In those days it included turning on shadows, which would kill my FPS, which would often be in the single digits.

Lag is a big concern when I record video. Then I get into tweaking all the render settings and compromising on what I can video.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1