How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

3 hours ago, VonWulfen said:

Such an inspirational picture. It really does have an authentic period vibe. Bravo :)

For me it brings to mind Patrick O'Brians Stephen Maturin, simply perfect :)

No greater compliment could I receive, thank you! Stephen Maturin is something of a hero of mine: learned, a natural philosopher (as was I, in my own field, for 20 years), and - underneath his quiet exterior - an agent for the Admiralty and a complete badass. (I also loved Paul Bettany's portrayal of him in Peter Weir's movie version of Master and Commander).

I own all of the books - including the unfinished 21 - and it's rare to run into a fellow aficionado of the Aubreyad in the wild. My collection of Age of Sail literature is frankly rather embarrassing, as I own a great deal of it, and my brain is such that it retains random, useless facts about Ships of the line, gunnery, and naval battles.

Mind you, given the issues I was enduring last night while taking this photo, I could have happily taken to Firestorm's neck the very catling that Stephen took to Pontet-Canet's "still beating common carotid" in The Fortune of War... ¬¬

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 6

44 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

No greater compliment could I receive, thank you! Stephen Maturin is something of a hero of mine: learned, a natural philosopher (as was I, in my own field, for 20 years), and - underneath his quiet exterior - an agent for the Admiralty and a complete badass. (I also loved Paul Bettany's portrayal of him in Peter Weir's movie version of Master and Commander).

I own all of the books - including the unfinished 21 - and it's rare to run into a fellow aficionado of the Aubreyad in the wild. My collection of Age of Sail literature is frankly rather embarrassing, as I own a great deal of it, and my brain is such that it retains random, useless facts about Ships of the line, gunnery, and naval battles.

Mind you, given the issues I was enduring last night while taking this photo, I could have happily taken to Firestorm's neck the very catling that Stephen took to Pontet-Canet's "still beating common carotid" in The Fortune of War... ¬¬

I love those books.  Jack Aubrey is one of the main reasons I've role played being in an 18th century navy in SL for the last twelve years.  They're among the best historical novels ever written.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, manoji Yachvili said:

nice shot, seems to be  very quiet sim, where is? 😊

Thank you, Manoji! I think I was at Breath of Nature when I took this. I’m at work so I can’t add a SLurl, but it should show up in search.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

the days are getting longer and warmer, time for summer colors and airier outfits. A&D Blazer ~Paolo white (with shirt),  L&B Marc Tuxedo  Pants Basic White, A&D Shoes ~Firenze black, Socks black, Aviator Sunglasses 1. Yes skin tone one step higher, little more sun kissed also.

Snapshot  Evard_005 03-09-2020 JPEG3072x2304.jpg

Edited by 811Lord
  • Like 22

On 3/7/2020 at 1:19 AM, Talligurl said:

I had been banned from this sim, but they let me back. I will have to be a good girl this time.

Untitled

I stared for the longest time at your raised right foot and wondered if your boot hadn't properly "attached" yet - until I realised that was a couple of horses in the background - well, it gave me a laugh today!

Emma :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

27 minutes ago, Emma Krokus said:

I stared for the longest time at your raised right foot and wondered if your boot hadn't properly "attached" yet - until I realised that was a couple of horses in the background - well, it gave me a laugh today!

Emma :)

I did the same - Glad it wasn't just me, since I felt so foolish once I realized what I had not initially been seeing.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

The fit is so perfect, for me the image could be no other than Jack Aubrey's particular friend :)

I myself am have just started the 10th book in the series, so have lots of nautical adventure to come.

I also have an ecology background, mostly marine bio, botany and entomology. It was a friend and colleague who first introduced me the author. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Amanda Dallin said:

I love those books.  Jack Aubrey is one of the main reasons I've role played being in an 18th century navy in SL for the last twelve years.  They're among the best historical novels ever written.  

They are a wonderful read :)

I am also interested in creating my own naval officer from this period. Would you have any store recommendations that have good quality attire that would fit the bill?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Emma Krokus said:
On 3/7/2020 at 2:19 AM, Talligurl said:

Untitled

Ah huh... I fell for that too for a while. Kept my mouth shut though!  😐

• Like 3
  • Haha 2