How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

22 minutes ago, Matty Luminos said:

It's a bug in Firestorm, when you take a pic at a resolution higher than your screen size. The only solutions are to take pics no bigger than your screen, or use another viewer. *cough*BlackDragon*cough*

I changed the resolution to my screen size and it worked... thank you! 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Some more pics of the Princess Posse. I couldn't get one of everyone together, and I couldn't even move at the hangout, never mind try to take pics. 

@momomoonusagi with Rupert the pig

200223_003.jpg.69d5eb343d248da1a72146779f1ec6df.jpg

Neph and, um, I don't know who the other one is. And some vicious-looking dogs. No idea what happened to the head of that one on the left (it wasn't me).

200223_004.jpg.a2e4a6c9585847965ef392b13104a2e1.jpg

@TatianaNikolay with a bird

200223_005.jpg.7ab97eed537a103fc37787b1ec16c408.jpg

@Orwar and his dancing horse. Not quite sure how a Greek Roman (sorry Orwar!) solidier fits in a Viking raid though...

200223_006.jpg.967c257a9ad09256850c017077befae5.jpg

@Angelina String and @Saskia Rieko

200223_007.jpg.a1bb4caa8b0857c5ba1f79a102d6e121.jpg

@Scylla Rhiadra

200223_009.jpg.30706887aedf13eb431358584f433cc8.jpg

And finally me. With a sword. Which I did not use to chop off anybody's head.

200223_008.jpg.ff1efbbe81c4154fd934e0aa062df081.jpg

Edited by Matty Luminos
  • Like 27

27 minutes ago, Matty Luminos said:

Ooops. Now I feel dumb. 🥴

Nah, they're quite easy to mix up - especially with the plumes and all (and how Hollywood tends to portray them pretty much as the same thing!). 

45fcea8c6a6a2044dfe762f8fb2e1796.jpg

Classical Greek Hoplite.

40b8f91c2bbacb9582b944b26ef1127f.jpg

Roman Praetorian. To be entirely honest, I think the outfit looks more Greek as well - but it's called 'Caesar' ...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

It's a bug in Firestorm, when you take a pic at a resolution higher than your screen size. The only solutions are to take pics no bigger than your screen, or use another viewer. *cough*BlackDragon*cough*

I haven't noticed it in any of the pics I've taken with Catznip.  I could just be missing it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, VictoriaGrwd said:

Does it on Black Dragon to.

2 hours ago, TDD123 said:

Confirmed

Oh, interesting!!! Could you please post an example in this thread for instance:

52 minutes ago, Amanda Dallin said:

I haven't noticed it in any of the pics I've taken with Catznip.  I could just be missing it.

I have identified the tiling error in Firestorm, Catznip and the LL Viewer, but so far not in the Dragon... I've even made a Photoshop template with guidelines to help me look at the right parts...

Addition:

@VictoriaGrwd @TDD123 - are you using the latest version? Updating might fix your problem...

Edited by Angelina String
  • Like 4

And since I'm urging others to check that they are using the latest version, I have to smack myself over the fingers and give myself a stern correction!

The latest Official Viewer from LL seems to have adressed this, ref last point here:

8cff6337c11bb84eadb4cfba4c266781.png

So that would make it two viewers that does not have the tiling problem as far as I have experienced, BD & LL's own in their latest versions...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

OMG. Such. A. Nerd.

(How many times in a single weekend do I get to call you that? It's like Christmas in February!)

Well it would depend on when we're talking about.  Early Republican Roman Legions looked very much like their contemporary Greek Hopilite counter parts.  The first contemporaneous mention of the legion was in the mid 2nd century BC but historians think it first came into existence in the mid to late 4th century.  Even then the equipment was similar to other societies in the Mediterranean world and it developed into the distinctive style we think of as "Roman" slowly into the 1st century BC during the late republic/early empire period.

I can still speak History Nerd.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Amanda Dallin said:

Well it would depend on when we're talking about.  Early Republican Roman Legions looked very much like their contemporary Greek Hopilite counter parts.  The first contemporaneous mention of the legion was in the mid 2nd century BC but historians think it first came into existence in the mid to late 4th century.  Even then the equipment was similar to other societies in the Mediterranean world and it developed into the distinctive style we think of as "Roman" slowly into the 1st century BC during the late republic/early empire period.

This is very true, the Roman army changed a lot both in equipment and structure throughout the existence of the Roman state (i.e. ca 1,000 years of history). The most famous getup for a Roman soldier though is the lorica segmentata, Galea, scutum, pilum and gladius kit (although the lorica segmentata was a very late addition) - whereas Greek hoplites most commonly used a panoply (bronze cuirass) or, even more commonly (because those were pricy, and Greek hoplites were generally mustered from the peasantry, with their own kit), a linothorax (leather and/or linen glued together in many layers into an armoured tunic that was wrapped around the torso and tied or hooked together along one side), very long spears, and large, bowled shields - and greaves, which the Romans weren't as fancy with (because of the taller shields and difference in tactics). 

Looking at my armour, it's quite a mix of things really. The greaves and vambraces certainly are more Greek in design, being cast out of a single piece of metal and lined with leather, the breastplate is also an earlier Roman style that certainly could be Greek as well, but the skirt with the Cingulum-esque straps and the same being present at the arms being more Roman - but the pauldrons again speak of earlier Roman or even Greek design.

As for the plume, I do believe that the Romans did take that from the Greek as well - but shortened it, as Hopolite plumes could be really long and unwieldy in the fighting style of the Roman infantry (i.e. run up to the enemy's face whilst hiding behind their shields, then just stabbing ferociously until there's nothing left to stab) - Roman Centurions are often depicted with the plume sideways, whilst the forward-facing one is often attributed as something worn by the equites (the noble class of Rome; the cavalry) and later the praetorian guard (Caesar's retinue and the capital's 'police-legion'). 

The Romans were infamously influenced by just about every people they conquered or fought in battle though, and being very adaptive in their tactics, which led to a lot of changes in kit over the centuries, taking influence primarily from the Greek, Iberian and Carthaginian weapons and armour early on .. What was the question again?

Glances up to see what thread I'm in.

Snapshot_049.thumb.png.219137a9a8ba5df6ef8edaaf2ef1374c.png

Um, here, have a poorly lit Neph selfie.

• Like 16

59 minutes ago, Amanda Dallin said:

Ok, I may not know much about the Marian reforms to the Roman army (actually I know a wee bit), BUT I can quote some absolutely filthy poems by Catullus and Martial.

Guess which I think is more fun? 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Angelina String said:

And since I'm urging others to check that they are using the latest version, I have to smack myself over the fingers and give myself a stern correction!

The latest Official Viewer from LL seems to have adressed this, ref last point here:

8cff6337c11bb84eadb4cfba4c266781.png

So that would make it two viewers that does not have the tiling problem as far as I have experienced, BD & LL's own in their latest versions...

Firestorm should have it fixed in their next update then *crosses fingers*

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1