How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

16 hours ago, Eva Knoller said:

Do it! Just have a lot of time set aside for that first time. It takes some getting used to. :) 

14 hours ago, Angelina String said:

If he can come up with a rational reason for doing this, I would be very interested to hear it - it kind of ruins the realism to have to choose between shadow from the sun OR shadows from projectors when taking a photo - I want both! Which is not a problem to do in FS or other viewers, so WHYYY? If its because of some programming issues where he have to leave this out to have some other function included, it would be interesting to know... But as he says, it is his viewer, and ifhe choose not to include it because he does not see the use for it or it takes down other functions he need more, thats his priviledge! I still love it, and now I'm going to start it just to watch the opening movie and listen to the music :D

(or perhaps I just listen to it on YT ;) )

Thanks Angelina for the BD info and YouTube intro! Very cool!🥰. My issue with BD is that the last time I checked, BD wasn’t compatible with Apple iMac Pro! Does anyone know differently?

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Seicher Rae said:

Honestly thinking some deep thoughts while immersing and floating in the marina that is my backyard. In RL marinas are probably not where you want to sit in the water and lounge, but in SL we have that option and only have oil slicks and dead fish floating by if we put them there. I have candles instead.

houseboat 012020_001.jpg

I find that rezzing one or more face-down corpses can be useful, as SL marinas too seldom feature these.

Not wish-fulfillment of course: they can just be really handy places to rest your drink.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

!) I don't like that you can only map a single control to turning, though. So it's either A and D *or* left/right arrows keys, but not both. Ugh.

Fixed in two steps:

controls.thumb.png.5c90a22b9d63739d8b03dd9f7ba29d2a.png

1. Make sure letter keys are ticked off to "Move Me"

Then

keybindings.thumb.png.bcbf4de35937935fb11e37bf95f8a445.png

2: Use "Add" in "Keybindings" to bind function "turn_right" "turn_left" to A etc...

This is done independently for First Person, Third Person, Editing, Apperarence and Sitting so you can assign keys to different depending on what you are doing.

sitting.png

EDIT: Well, the cat is out of the bag, it is now official - I do not know the difference between right and left (I have always believed that it was the difference between right and WRONG I had difficulties with but no...)

Edited by Angelina String
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 6

1 hour ago, Angelina String said:
  • AVX Version is for modern CPU's starting at AMD FX 6000 Series and Intel equivalents.
  • Non-AVX Version is for older-than-above CPU's before 2011/12.

Ahah! Thank you.I didn't know which to try, so I grabbed the AVX version. I am *shocked* at the performance I got in my simple region-hopping-like-crazy tests. More than any interest in it's photo-abilities and the rest, that performance alone is a serious magnet for me. And I actually like the UI a lot. :)

Sorry to everyone for the mostly off-topic comment. But still a little bit on topic because Black Dragon (as I've been seeing it mostly described) is the "Photography Viewer." I'll shut-up now and back out of the room slooowly, as my eyes dart frantically at each of you in twitchy fashion, looking for any sudden movement...

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I find that rezzing one or more face-down corpses can be useful, as SL marinas too seldom feature these.

Not wish-fulfillment of course: they can just be really handy places to rest your drink.

I may not have file folders of Antichrist music videos at my fingertips, but now that you mention it, I *do* have several dead bodies, in various stages of decomp in my inventory, as one does. You may see a reprised photo.

• Haha 6

11 hours ago, ProzacGummyBear said:

Hi 

Please don't judge to savagely i am only 7 days i think into SL and having lots of fun :D 

I have been learning since yesterday going hours on end LOL :P how to put together a basic outfit and specially after challenging with a VCO Gacha Milli which i really like and other 2016 Designs to they are so whimsical and going to the Store is like leaving the SL going landing a fantasy land i could in there with these slot machines yer!!!! (i am about the night light it looked so shiny and glittery there but in the bright forum white flo lights it is hello)

On the whole, we don't do "savage" very well on this thread. Just occasionally "Where-the-hell-is-my-coffee" grumpy!

Yay, and welcome! Please post a lot more pics, so we can see how your look develops!

• Like 9

35 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Ahah! Thank you.I didn't know which to try, so I grabbed the AVX version. I am *shocked* at the performance I got in my simple region-hopping-like-crazy tests. More than any interest in it's photo-abilities and the rest, that performance alone is a serious magnet for me. And I actually like the UI a lot. :)

Sorry to everyone for the mostly off-topic comment. But still a little bit on topic because Black Dragon (as I've been seeing it mostly described) is the "Photography Viewer." I'll shut-up now and back out of the room slooowly, as my eyes dart frantically at each of you in twitchy fashion, looking for any sudden movement...

I just popped in-world to spend a half hour fooling with the poser. OMG. It's totally a game-changer!

Now, if I can just customize the UI so that I don't find the rest of the viewer so frickin' annoying.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I just popped in-world to spend a half hour fooling with the poser. OMG. It's totally a game-changer!

Right?! 

15 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Now, if I can just customize the UI so that I don't find the rest of the viewer so frickin' annoying.

I wish you luck! Taya’s keybinding info above can be helpful. I still can’t use it as my full time viewer even after changing that stuff, but it does make it less annoying. 😁

• Like 4

Never could get head round BD; I feel like I'm one few who don't use lumipro however I'd love to buy but it such an expense so it on back burner.  Having said all that; I think my pictures turn out okay with using windlights. :) 

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, MrsSeren said:

Never could get head round BD; I feel like I'm one few who don't use lumipro however I'd love to buy but it such an expense so it on back burner.  Having said all that; I think my pictures turn out okay with using windlights. :) 

I concur with you. I doubt I will change my own snapshotting methods and paradigms and workflow, though one thing I did notice is that shadows are far better-looking in BD than any other viewer (and the Poser really is a game-changer). Other than that the performance I'm experiencing really is amazing. But still have to stick to Catznip for incoming-inventory management (also a game-changer). Though I like the interface of BD a lot (I like the "flat-look" and simplicity. My only gripe has been answered above (mapping multiple keys to turning).

And as to the default key-mapping, I get it and I understand what @NiranV Dean is doing (it's the same key-mapping I use with Star Trek Online and Neverwinter) - but it's like shifting gear mentally when I get into SL and I've been using this key combination for almost 14 years! LOL

I'll play with the photo-tools aspect and may plop an experiment or two up here, though I'll still likely stick with my Affinity Photo and On1 for post-processing, rather than trying to do it all in-viewer.

• Like 1

First of all, sorry it took me so long to answer, i don't have my eyes everywhere and i had some PC issues the entire day...

18 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

It's been about a year or so since I've last looked at Black Dragon and I was bored today. So I decided to have another look at it, but there are two versions: BlackDragon 64x AVX 3.6.9 and BlackDragon 64x 3.6.9 - both have the exact same file size. Do you know what the differences are? LOL I've looked Dev's blog, the wiki, the FAQ... cannot find any mention of this.

I'm trying the AVX version (whatever that means) - it seems better than I remember last time I tried it - performance wise and also UI wise (it just seems different from what I remember - I remember being overwhelmed!) I don't like that you can only map a single control to turning, though. So it's either A and D *or* left/right arrows keys, but not both. Ugh.

To answer this for everyone, AVX is a (in theory) faster version, if your CPU supports it, take it, otherwise use the normal version. You should see no difference in the Viewer itself, both are the exact same Viewer, they are just compiled with and without AVX extension.

On 1/20/2020 at 6:22 PM, Angelina String said:

I have a real love/hate relationship with Black Dragon. I LOVE the introvideo and especially the intromusic - I spend minutes longer on logging in just beacuse of that...

I hate the default key layout for controlling the avatar and for controlling the camera - had to spend major time and do some minor hacking to get it to my liking.

Love the machinima-panel, and the ability to add lensflare and vignetting directly when taking a picture. Love the DoF control and the realistic DoF Settings, but hate that you have to choose between shadows from the sun/moon OR projectors (WHYYY?). Love that you can have motionblur and take BW pics, but hate that there is no Favourite Attachments or built in AO.

AND the Poser!! A level of control that nothing else can give you, and you can save the poses for later use - but no one exept you can see your pose, so it is useable for photos only...

But when you get all settings right - the quality of the rendering is absolutely superb! And it is well worth taking the time to get over that initial (huge, i know) struggle to learn how things work, the possibilities that lies before you is well worth it!!!

Snapshot_187_cr.thumb.jpg.680bf4fb13d15b9bbb75741795d8ae3a.jpg

Movement keys have been changed to the default (which SL should have really had from the beginning) AWSD strafing movment scheme rather than the long gone rotation movement. BD however (unlike other Viewers) offers you the option to easily and fully remap all controls which would usually require you to edit files. If you need help doing so you can always ask for help.

Camera controls are the same, unless you are speaking of keyboard controls once again, i tried adding all of them but leaving doubles and/or overlapping combinations out, such as CTRL + Alt + D which at the time was used to enable the Advanced menu (this is no longer the case obviously and i might have to look at readding all missing combinations if there are still any). Once again i don't want overlapping controls, AWSD are very special keys which are used for several things (snapshot for instance uses Ctrl + Shift + S which means i cant bind this one either)

On 1/20/2020 at 7:02 PM, Angelina String said:

If he can come up with a rational reason for doing this, I would be very interested to hear it - it kind of ruins the realism to have to choose between shadow from the sun OR shadows from projectors when taking a photo - I want both! Which is not a problem to do in FS or other viewers, so WHYYY? If its because of some programming issues where he have to leave this out to have some other function included, it would be interesting to know... But as he says, it is his viewer, and ifhe choose not to include it because he does not see the use for it or it takes down other functions he need more, thats his priviledge! I still love it, and now I'm going to start it just to watch the opening movie and listen to the music :D

(or perhaps I just listen to it on YT ;) )

You don't have to choose between Projectors or Sun shadows, you never had to. I don't know what you mean by that and whoever told you that you had to choose between them has no idea what he's talking about. BD just like any Viewer offers you the option to enable shadows (without projectors) or shadows (with projectors) or disable them all. The only option missing is projectors only (which can be done with windlight editing or by playing with the shadow distance/resolution settings (hacky but works).

I even use both in the very video you posted. Also that's just the current video (for halloween) i'm soon going to switch it back to the original:

Edited by NiranV Dean
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

I concur with you. I doubt I will change my own snapshotting methods and paradigms and workflow, though one thing I did notice is that shadows are far better-looking in BD than any other viewer (and the Poser really is a game-changer). Other than that the performance I'm experiencing really is amazing. But still have to stick to Catznip for incoming-inventory management (also a game-changer). Though I like the interface of BD a lot (I like the "flat-look" and simplicity. My only gripe has been answered above (mapping multiple keys to turning).

And as to the default key-mapping, I get it and I understand what @NiranV Dean is doing (it's the same key-mapping I use with Star Trek Online and Neverwinter) - but it's like shifting gear mentally when I get into SL and I've been using this key combination for almost 14 years! LOL

I'll play with the photo-tools aspect and may plop an experiment or two up here, though I'll still likely stick with my Affinity Photo and On1 for post-processing, rather than trying to do it all in-viewer.

Yay another Neverwinter player, then I should technically be fine but I still get confused and I admit I do confuse easily however I may try again when I have more time to dabble.