How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

5 hours ago, Eva Knoller said:

Wow! Quite a character sketch for Gabby. You are totally ready for a role play sim! 😃

Well, writing a character sketch and actually RPing live are, of course, two very different things. I don't think I could carry off her voice in real time.

On the other hand, I suspect she has a lot more fun than I do, so maybe I should try?

5 hours ago, Eva Knoller said:

She sounds cool, as long as she doesn’t call me Boomer. I’ll allow Okay Gen X, or even Okay Gen Oregon Trail. 😃

I think she -- and the maybe 30 young women I know upon whom she is a gentle and very affectionate satire -- is cool. Aggravating, eye-roll-inducing, and difficult sometimes, but with a kind of social awareness and (occasionally misplaced) self-confidence that I think is relatively new, and that I wish I'd had access to at her age.

I don't know if she has heard of Oregon Trail. It's, what, nearly 30 years older than her? Which means it's probably only for mostly dead people (and, from what I remember of the casualty rate in the game, that's completely appropriate). I'll have to ask her!

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, moirakathleen said:

I'm not sure those two things go together for me.  Though I'm sure she wouldn't care what I thought as I probably fall into that 'dead person' category - she's younger than my daughters, but older than my granddaughter.

We were only able to see Rush live one time, and it was when they were touring after putting out the album of covers of songs that had influenced them - I'm thinking 2004 or 2005.  I'm glad that I was able to see them at least once.

3 minutes ago, Elora Lunasea said:

UM NOPE.

Pfft. 

/me goes to weep over the Neil Peart photos she took last time her and Ghosty saw RUSH tour...)

Canadians, and maybe especially Torontonians, have a kind of weird relationship with Rush, I think. It's one part real pride in what they accomplished, and in their longevity and the respect they've earned, and another part embarrassment. Because Rush, as successful and musically accomplished as they have been, aren't "cool" in the way that, say, Arcade Fire is "cool." But what also sometimes comes as a shock to me (and this has happened more than once) are the times you'll hear a musician from a band you totally wouldn't associate with Rush talking about how influential they've been.

I'm going to confess that they were never really my thing; I was into different genres. I never saw them play, but they were definitely part of the soundtrack of my high school years: "Tom Sawyer," "Roll the Bones," and "Subdivisions," and a few others. My own "Rush story" is maybe in some ways typically Canadian: sometime I think in the late 80s or very early 90s, I was shopping at the Eaton Centre with a friend, and we bumped into Geddy Lee, who was also, by himself, just . . . shopping. My friend (a guy who was into Rush) talked to him for about 15 minutes. He was just such a normal guy. That's kind of emblematic of the relationship between Rush and Toronto: that Geddy Lee could go shopping downtown by himself, largely unmolested and maybe even mostly unnoticed, and yet take the time to talk to a young fan while in the middle of doing it. I mean, he could have been anyone you'd bump into at a mall.

Despite the fact that I'm not really a "fan," I was shocked and a little upset by Peart's death. In an odd way, it marks the passing of an era, I think. Rush has always reliably been there, mostly in the background, but a constant thing. And now, not.

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Canadians, and maybe especially Torontonians, have a kind of weird relationship with Rush, I think. It's one part real pride in what they accomplished, and in their longevity and the respect they've earned, and another part embarrassment. Because Rush, as successful and musically accomplished as they have been, aren't "cool" in the way that, say, Arcade Fire is "cool." But what also sometimes comes as a shock to me (and this has happened more than once) are the times you'll hear a musician from a band you totally wouldn't associate with Rush talking about how influential they've been.

I'm going to confess that they were never really my thing; I was into different genres. I never saw them play, but they were definitely part of the soundtrack of my high school years: "Tom Sawyer," "Roll the Bones," and "Subdivisions," and a few others. My own "Rush story" is maybe in some ways typically Canadian: sometime I think in the late 80s or very early 90s, I was shopping at the Eaton Centre with a friend, and we bumped into Geddy Lee, who was also, by himself, just . . . shopping. My friend (a guy who was into Rush) talked to him for about 15 minutes. He was just such a normal guy. That's kind of emblematic of the relationship between Rush and Toronto: that Geddy Lee could go shopping downtown by himself, largely unmolested and maybe even mostly unnoticed, and yet take the time to talk to a young fan while in the middle of doing it. I mean, he could have been anyone you'd bump into at a mall.

Despite the fact that I'm not really a "fan," I was shocked and a little upset by Peart's death. In an odd way, it marks the passing of an era, I think. Rush has always reliably been there, mostly in the background, but a constant thing. And now, not.

For me, it's the soundtrack of college days. My roommate and I used to fall asleep to these 3 albums every single night (this in 1977):

1. 2112/Rush

2. Dark Side of the Moon/Pink Floyd

3. Late for the Sky/Jackson Brown (to fall asleep to, finally)

I didn't know them prior to this - I'm from the US and they were not a part of my musical background prior to college. I was one of the few females that became pretty obsessed with them for a while. I could air drum with the best of them lol, knew every single beat (which is funny because Ghosty, drums and of course Rush is a big love of his). I did lose interest in them for a long time; prefer their earlier music but have seen them many times in concert most recently a few years back w/Ghosty and it was pretty awesome.

My taste in music is very varied but mostly was new wave/punk/art rock n college; B'52's, Patti Smith, Ramones, Blondie, Talking Heads etc. Saw U2 in a tiny bar in NJ before they became big. But I also listened to other genres, it's good to keep an open mind. 

I was pretty stunned by Peart's death too. One of those moments where I literally gasped out loud. Just so unexpected. It sucks to start losing your idols (even if you don't idolize them). 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Well, writing a character sketch and actually RPing live are, of course, two very different things. I don't think I could carry off her voice in real time.

On the other hand, I suspect she has a lot more fun than I do, so maybe I should try?

I think she -- and the maybe 30 young women I know upon whom she is a gentle and very affectionate satire -- is cool. Aggravating, eye-roll-inducing, and difficult sometimes, but with a kind of social awareness and (occasionally misplaced) self-confidence that I think is relatively new, and that I wish I'd had access to at her age.

I don't know if she has heard of Oregon Trail. It's, what, nearly 30 years older than her? Which means it's probably only for mostly dead people (and, from what I remember of the casualty rate in the game, that's completely appropriate). I'll have to ask her!

Well, you did a great job with her! I have a couple of nieces in that age range, and your sketch reminds be a bit of them.

And,

dysentery.png.b51a25b3bf1978255f78158a67f84be7.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Ajay McDowwll said:

In my CatHouse, contemplating my life choices.

Also, grateful SL cats don't require litter boxes...

Ajay and Merlin.Adult_001.png

That brings back such fond memories of my earliest days in Second Life, where I found a massive cat sofa on a small balcony in Missing Beckett. I do love the texture of your long cardigan too. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1