How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

My pic comes with a brief story: After my mom's death in 2018 everyone in my family sort of stopped celebrating Christmas. It just doesn't feel right without her, no one even puts up a tree anymore. But at the same time I miss the Christmas joy and sense of community and family and warmth this time of year used to fill me with.

tl;dr: Thanks SL for letting me keep Christmas alive in some way, even if it's "just virtual" 

Snapshot_009.png

• Like 30

2 hours ago, Minami017 said:

My pic comes with a brief story: After my mom's death in 2018 everyone in my family sort of stopped celebrating Christmas. It just doesn't feel right without her, no one even puts up a tree anymore. But at the same time I miss the Christmas joy and sense of community and family and warmth this time of year used to fill me with.

tl;dr: Thanks SL for letting me keep Christmas alive in some way, even if it's "just virtual" 

My story is different, but I am also not able to "do" Christmas in RL. Like you, I've gotten my holiday decorating and cheer out in SL, and I also am thankful to SL to be able to do that. ♥

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Minami017 said:

...Thanks SL for letting me keep Christmas alive in some way, even if it's "just virtual" 

3 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

...I am also not able to "do" Christmas in RL. Like you, I've gotten my holiday decorating and cheer out in SL, and I also am thankful to SL to be able to do that. ♥

Same. ♡ here's to the fun of it. 🥂

((Also, I like that buying all these glorious xmas things in SL feels like...saving money, in a way. XD at least to me. Cause if I had even a fourth of the prilly Xmas crap I've been using for my pictures in RL, I'd be so broke. T: Xmas decorating in RL can get expensive.))

• Like 8

On 12/11/2019 at 8:54 AM, Conall DeCuir said:

After the shot ...

As to the back and forth about @Conall DeCuir's photo:

1. I love it. It tells a story.  I love that you don't know what the story IS. The composition is good. It is well done. But more importantly,

2. Art is so subjective, and we're not talking about a $120K banana taped to a wall subjective here.  Everyone is going to have a different opinion. I haven't seen a lot of negative comments posted in this thread, so it was a little odd to see them here, on this one, and I'm not sure it was necessary to share but then again, it is a public forum and so people are free to react and comment however they darn well please. I absolutely understand why this bothers some people because of how they are reading the story through their filters.

3. Years ago, in the mysecondlife Feed, I posted a photo that for me was about depression, giving up, and yes, suicide. Imagine my surprise when it got a ton of ♥'s and just as many praises for how positive and inspirational it was! I didn't say a word, or "correct" anyone, because those were their stories and I was content that people responded to the image. (Photo below, ymmv.)

4. Congratulations Conall, you hit one of the marks for art: You got people talking.

loveoflife 09102016 e.jpg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

e34bcd9927636342628462df34459667.gif

Went out for a minute to check out a store having a sale - and this is what I come home to. Can't leave Neph unsupervised for a moment; I think the neighbors already called the police about the music.

Edited by Orwar
  • Like 7
  • Haha 12

Undiminished

You're the one I didn't see, you who lie
Unremarked, concealed in plain sight behind
The drapes of hair and the surprising eye.
We have passed words and smiles, but I blind

To your insistence still have failed to trace
You bent over busy with book, keys, shoe,
Dishcloth, being your life, filling the space
That is only yours, the edge between you

And not you undiminished by my
Important failure. Each of us brings
Our own light with us and in it we fly
Sovereign, if alone, on blazing wings.

1459566525_UndiminishedBlank.thumb.png.84cdbed339d64f672588d7deb264e660.png

• Like 25

11 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Undiminished

You're the one I didn't see, you who lie
Unremarked, concealed in plain sight behind
The drapes of hair and the surprising eye.
We have passed words and smiles, but I blind

To your insistence still have failed to trace
You bent over busy with book, keys, shoe,
Dishcloth, being your life, filling the space
That is only yours, the edge between you

And not you undiminished by my
Important failure. Each of us brings
Our own light with us and in it we fly
Sovereign, if alone, on blazing wings.

1459566525_UndiminishedBlank.thumb.png.84cdbed339d64f672588d7deb264e660.png

Again we need more emojis. Is that an original poem of yours? Very moved by both words and the image.

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So,  today's pic was hard.  I tried 2 different outfits and went to 2 different Christmas sims and just didn't like any of the pics.  So, I ended up on our photo platform with yet another pic in front of a black background. 😛  I had kind of wanted to avoid that, as I feel like I've done that a lot lately, but that's what worked best. 

Winter: Day 12

• Like 22

On 12/11/2019 at 1:54 PM, Conall DeCuir said:

After the shot ...

Its interesting how this piece has sparked so much conversation and different interpretations. Its one of those pictures that tells a much bigger story. I like it a lot; simple composition yet at the same time its also deep and full of emotion. We don't know what the man did, whether he shot someone, who that someone was or why. We only know that something happpened. The rest is for us to decide. And that's art at its best.

Bravo, sir!

• Like 11