How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

As much as I love my Genus head in standard version (even if I am temporarily frustrated with its minor flaws and my major inability to use the hud properly), I am now comparing it with the Baby Face. And not really sure which one I prefer.

genus_compare.png

Edited by Kotelle
spelling correction
  • Like 19

18 minutes ago, Kotelle said:

As much as I love my Genus head in standard version (even if I am temporarily frustrated with its minor flaws and my major inability to use the hud properly), I am now comparing it with the Baby Face. And not really sure which one I prefer.

genus_compare.png

Although both are beautiful, I'd prefer the head to the right (as seen from me) over the other one.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Kotelle said:

It's a little bit difficult to tell what differences are due to the heads and what is due to perspective as the two shots, whilst very similarly framed, are taken from different points of view - I'd also suggest a more close-up (zoomed) shot to do a more precise comparison.

To do this, stand your avatar on a pose stand or pose ball in the pose you wish to use for the shot (although it's not going to matter much which pose - a T-pose is fine); next, open your Cameratools (assuming you're using FS here, I haven't used the standard viewer for so long I don't recall what the equivalent is, if there's any difference). Set the View Angle to 0.2-0.3 (depending on just how close you want to go) and frame the shot (i.e. moving your camera into your final position before taking the snap) - now click the button that has an eye with an arrow pointing down on it (store current camera position); your camera position is now saved so that if you by any chance or for any reason change your point of view, you can click the other button, with the eye and the arrow pointing up (load stored camera view) to reset it to your saved position.

Now you can create two shots which are identical, where you can make subtle changes in between them and fall back to your view point. The Cameratools is the first thing I'd suggest any aspiring SL photographer to look into, as these tools are extremely useful - and even if you just want to do shots to compare things or, well, to navigate Second Life in as scenic a manner as possible, these things are good to know (ever tried to zoom in on a small detail only to find it derenders as your camera comes too close? Decrease the view angle to zoom in on it instead!).

It's also very useful for layering shots where you want to wear an outfit that just doesn't work, such as this:

Example.thumb.png.4a0cd57946fc2ae6d4cee78b36a9aa01.png

First shot: Shirt/vest & coat (could have used just the shirt/vest as well!).
   Second shot: Just the coat, to make sure that I have the whole coat without anything clipping through it.
   Third shot: Completed picture, at the end of the entire editing process.

Due to the clipping of the coat with the shirt below, especially at the sleeves and some parts of the vest, the first step of my editing process here was to layer the two snapshots and mask the shirtless one all over the chest between the lapels of the coat. Because I had the same camera view in both shots, I could cam around and muck around with my apparel without having to worry about the shots not aligning.

Same technique can be used for example with hair and hats, or other accessories that clip through clothes. 

... Got a little bit carried away with what was supposed to be a quick tip about zoom and camera positioning, but, there it is.

P.S. - A useful detail that I realise I forgot is that you can restore your default view angle with the D button next to the field. The default is at 1.048 rads. 

Edited by Orwar
P.S.
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 7

@Orwar thanks for useful tips and tricks. I am aware that I should have done it better but my intention was to see both heads in motion, because it is how I see my avatar every time I log in. I have plenty of shots from many angles for both of heads. Soon I will most possibly end up having both heads as Genus addiction seems to be progressing quickly :D 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Orwar said:

Due to the clipping of the coat with the shirt below, especially at the sleeves and some parts of the vest, the first step of my editing process here was to layer the two snapshots and mask the shirtless one all over the chest between the lapels of the coat. Because I had the same camera view in both shots, I could cam around and muck around with my apparel without having to worry about the shots not aligning.

Clever you! I've used this essential technique for "adding myself" to a picture -- which is to say, employing myself sort of like an alt as an "extra" in a picture -- but it hadn't occurred to me to use it to fix clipping in clothes!

• Like 5