How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

1 hour ago, Nalates Urriah said:

SL photography is unique. In RL the camera is important. In SL the viewer takes the place of the camera. Firestorm is probably like the Nikon or Pentax, having every imaginable control. Black Dragon might be the Hasselblad, specialized. Try photos with the different viewers and learn what they have to offer. FS has the Photo Tools panels, making WL and camera settings changes quick and easy. BD has some settings in no other viewer.

All cameras have basic settings and so do the snapshot panels in the viewer. For our purposes, the image size is comparable to film size, 35mm versus 61mm (2.4") type stuff.  Bigger film and higher rez are better. Often taking a 3000x1700px image and reducing it to 1024x768 makes a big improvement. Working with large images I find easier and get better results. Strawberry has a tutorial on using large images and the benefits.

Skell has given you a lot on lighting. Good stuff. I use a skybox for many of my images and videos. I can make my background any color I want. Greenscreen is important for videos. But the actual color one uses depends on the subject. Green is not a magic color. Cutting an avatar out of the background is way easier using a solid color background. I seldom use 'background images'. I do insert my avatar into images (example - example). I'm not that good... but I have fun.

Figuring out lighting and Windlight settings is a skill. William Weaver has tutorials on how to use both.

Once one has their images the Photoshop (image editing) skills come into play. Watching Natsumi Xenga paint her images can give you ideas of how to accomplish things. I seldom put that much energy into an image.

Nemanja Sekulic provides great tutorials on how to use PS to accomplish many things that add drama to an image. PiXimperfect provides tutorials for the novice explaining the terms he is using in a style I often find pedantic. 

This is stuffed full of useful information, Nalates! Thank you!!!

The idea that you could use your viewer as a specialized camera/lens was an absolute revelation to me (although even in RL I'm most often a "point-and-click" girl). So too has the focus upon the importance of lighting introduced by Skell, and illustrated by so many of the pics here! There's so much to learn, but as I've always enjoyed learning, that's just fine!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, momomoonusagi said:

I didn't have intentions to go out and make my Genus head specifically Chinese, but the more I played with it and tweaked it, the more it seemed like a not so bad idea. ^^

It looks great! You have a nice "mixed" look that leans more toward the Chinese (I do have a "genuine" Chinese face on another head, but it was made that way) The best we can really do is a mixed look anyway. You did awesome :)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

SL photography is unique. In RL the camera is important. In SL the viewer takes the place of the camera. Firestorm is probably like the Nikon or Pentax, having every imaginable control. Black Dragon might be the Hasselblad, specialized. Try photos with the different viewers and learn what they have to offer. FS has the Photo Tools panels, making WL and camera settings changes quick and easy. BD has some settings in no other viewer.

Agreed. I use my viewer in 100% manual snapshotting mode. So I liken it to a Leica :)

• Like 2

679043122_SARAMAY.thumb.png.c7f7ce415555a27d07843630e63a9d85.png

Hi everybody!

After lusting after the new Lelutka Bento heads, I broke down and bought one...YAY! This is May...tweaked a bit to kind of match my Sara Catwa lilly head. Big thanks to Angelina String/Taya for the info. 

~ Sara

• Like 17

cEki0AuNfP.jpg   

Sometimes I get to feelin'
I was back in the old days - long ago
When we were kids, when we were young
Things seemed so perfect - you know?
The days were endless, we were crazy - we were young
The sun was always shinin' - we just lived for fun
Sometimes it seems like lately - I just don't know
The rest of my life's been - just a show.
Those were the days of our lives
The bad things in life were so few
Those days are all gone now but one thing is true -
When I look and I find I still love you.

• Like 14