How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

2 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

Thank you! This is the beta version of Genus Project, which has the best effect from shape sliders that I've experienced (I have four Catwas and a few others) - so much flexibility that it took me a couple weeks before I was really happy with it. And the things that can be done with the HUD is amazing. They have a Demo at in-world store and sell it at 3500L (1500L discount until release.) :)

Ok, cool, thanks for this! It might be worth checking out a demo, if only to get some sense of whether it might be possible to get the look I want from it. And L$3500 is at least a little more manageable! You've done such amazing things with yours, that I'm encouraged! Maybe there's a Bento head in my future after all . . .

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Ok, cool, thanks for this! It might be worth checking out a demo, if only to get some sense of whether it might be possible to get the look I want from it. And L$3500 is at least a little more manageable! You've done such amazing things with yours, that I'm encouraged! Maybe there's a Bento head in my future after all . . .

I fell in love with the Genus head after Ceka posted her new look and I tried the demo. I was happy with my Lelutka Simone until then...........and don't get me wrong, Simone gave me the look I wanted, but the genus is extraordinary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

I fell in love with the Genus head after Ceka posted her new look and I tried the demo. I was happy with my Lelutka Simone until then...........and don't get me wrong, Simone gave me the look I wanted, but the genus is extraordinary.

That's really good to hear!

I spent a semi-productive lunchtime picking up a Genus demo, the Nataly demo skin there, and three demo skins from Glam Affair to try on it. (On the menu: tuna salad, yoghurt, and mesh.)

The head itself is really easy to edit! I don't have anything to compare it with, but it seems almost as responsive (in some ways, more so) than a system head.

But . . . and this may be just because I don't know what I'm doing yet (or ever, really) . . . I couldn't get any of the appliers on the demo skins to work on it. Might that be because the head itself is demo?

I'm also unsure of how to get the matching applier for my SLink body, as this didn't seem to be in any of the applier demos. I guess that's sold separately???

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

That's really good to hear!

I spent a semi-productive lunchtime picking up a Genus demo, the Nataly demo skin there, and three demo skins from Glam Affair to try on it. (On the menu: tuna salad, yoghurt, and mesh.)

The head itself is really easy to edit! I don't have anything to compare it with, but it seems almost as responsive (in some ways, more so) than a system head.

But . . . and this may be just because I don't know what I'm doing yet (or ever, really) . . . I couldn't get any of the appliers on the demo skins to work on it. Might that be because the head itself is demo? 

I'm also unsure of how to get the matching applier for my SLink body, as this didn't seem to be in any of the applier demos. I guess that's sold separately???

Yes, the demo version of the head doesn't work with demos skins.

About the body applier, you have to get them separately in each store. The Genus Project don't have body appliers, but their skin match the Skinnery body appliers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, DemeraraGirl said:

About the body applier, you have to get them separately in each store. The Genus Project don't have body appliers, but their skin match the Skinnery body appliers.

This is so helpful! Thank you!

I think I'm going to take the plunge and try it out. Because really, why not???

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, DemeraraGirl said:

That suxx.  How the heck am I supposed to demo a head and body and skin all together to see if I can even get the look I want.

☹️

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I jumped on the Genus bandwagon because I fell in love with the .N X Genus Project Mei Applier ad at the Level event. n.n I'm a little disappointed I can't put on my bento ears yet, but hopefully maybe I'll be able to when it fully releases? I noticed there wasn't an option to hide the Genus head ears. >< I also had to do some tweaking to the head shape that came with the skin applier...It didn't look exactly like the advert to me when I threw it on, and I've kinda been a face-shape throw on and go kinda gal. >< Def trying for an Asian inspired look--apparently Chinese to be more specific.

Mura_021_070.jpg

• Like 16

17 minutes ago, momomoonusagi said:

I jumped on the Genus bandwagon because I fell in love with the .N X Genus Project Mei Applier ad at the Level event. n.n I'm a little disappointed I can't put on my bento ears yet, but hopefully maybe I'll be able to when it fully releases? I noticed there wasn't an option to hide the Genus head ears. >< I also had to do some tweaking to the head shape that came with the skin applier...It didn't look exactly like the advert to me when I threw it on, and I've kinda been a face-shape throw on and go kinda gal. >< Def trying for an Asian inspired look--apparently Chinese to be more specific.

Mura_021_070.jpg

Us Chinagirls need to stick together! that's actually a pretty good look right there.

You can hide the ears on Genus - I think it's in Settings tab (bottom). I'm offline right now so I can't remember exactly, but you can do it. As for shapes that come with skins: those are usually designed for specific heads. better to go with your own settings.

As for Asian look and specifically Chinese - if you aren't that in RL then feel free to Private Message me here, I am and I see it every day in the mirror  If you'd like (and no worries if not) I'll be happy to explain what makes the Asian look and there are specific parts of the face to do it. And it's not always as much in the eyes as is the common Western cliche, it's a lot more LOL :)

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

Us Chinagirls need to stick together! that's actually a pretty good look right there.

You can hide the ears on Genus - I think it's in Settings tab (bottom). I'm offline right now so I can't remember exactly, but you can do it. As for shapes that come with skins: those are usually designed for specific heads. better to go with your own settings.

As for Asian look and specifically Chinese - if you aren't that in RL then feel free to Private Message me here, I am and I see it every day in the mirror  If you'd like (and no worries if not) I'll be happy to explain what makes the Asian look and there are specific parts of the face to do it. And it's not always as much in the eyes as is the common Western cliche, it's a lot more LOL :)

Thanks, Alyona. ^^
I didn't have intentions to go out and make my Genus head specifically Chinese, but the more I played with it and tweaked it, the more it seemed like a not so bad idea. ^^ I did some further tweaking, brought the lip size down and rounded out her face to give her a "fuller" look; but I think I kept the spirit of "Asian" at least with her and think I'm finally satisfied with it. I do love how malleable the head feels like it is! >< Just messing with the sliders on it was fun all by itself. x3

Also, I did find the hide ears thing! You were right where it was. ^^ Although it still sort of doesn't take well to my bento ears. Even with the head ears hidden there seems to be a weird glitch through the bento ones, so I guess I'll just leave it in the closet of my inventory until it's fully finished and we'll see if they maybe fix that. ><

Mura_021_074.jpg

• Like 8

On 10/25/2018 at 10:37 AM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I am sort of blown away by the pics in this thread -- the avis, and the fashions, but particularly the compositions and lighting effects.

I'm never going to learn how to work with mesh, so I need to find another creative outlet, and photography has some potential, maybe? I've been brooding over my lacklustre efforts to date, and trying to think about how I might improve them, using what I'm seeing here as inspiration and tutorial.

Urban-1.jpg

I'm sure I'll be doing more than my share of vanity shots, but what I'd really like to do is experiment more with pics that place my avatar in interesting settings, and explore the relationship between her and the environment. Can anyone recommend good, general tutorials on photography in SL? 

Also, lighting and pose systems. They'd (both) need to be ones that worked as attachments, as I expect I won't have rez perms in the places I'll want to take pics.

Your stuff is kind of amazing, people. Thanks for sharing!

On 10/29/2018 at 10:43 AM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Meh. Not so much. I have some good Photoshop skills, but not for photos, and certainly for nothing like this. But I take direction well. ?

/me looks over her shoulder to see what Angelina is looking dreamily at . . .

SL photography is unique. In RL the camera is important. In SL the viewer takes the place of the camera. Firestorm is probably like the Nikon or Pentax, having every imaginable control. Black Dragon might be the Hasselblad, specialized. Try photos with the different viewers and learn what they have to offer. FS has the Photo Tools panels, making WL and camera settings changes quick and easy. BD has some settings in no other viewer.

All cameras have basic settings and so do the snapshot panels in the viewer. For our purposes, the image size is comparable to film size, 35mm versus 61mm (2.4") type stuff.  Bigger film and higher rez are better. Often taking a 3000x1700px image and reducing it to 1024x768 makes a big improvement. Working with large images I find easier and get better results. Strawberry has a tutorial on using large images and the benefits.

Skell has given you a lot on lighting. Good stuff. I use a skybox for many of my images and videos. I can make my background any color I want. Greenscreen is important for videos. But the actual color one uses depends on the subject. Green is not a magic color. Cutting an avatar out of the background is way easier using a solid color background. I seldom use 'background images'. I do insert my avatar into images (example - example). I'm not that good... but I have fun.

Figuring out lighting and Windlight settings is a skill. William Weaver has tutorials on how to use both.

Once one has their images the Photoshop (image editing) skills come into play. Watching Natsumi Xenga paint her images can give you ideas of how to accomplish things. I seldom put that much energy into an image.

Nemanja Sekulic provides great tutorials on how to use PS to accomplish many things that add drama to an image. PiXimperfect provides tutorials for the novice explaining the terms he is using in a style I often find pedantic. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6