How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

19 hours ago, BelindaN said:

I keep being drawn back to your image Anya. It's a remarkable image anyway, but it highlights really well what can be achieved on a Lelutka head with some effort!  A while ago when I was looking to go mesh I tried  few Lelutka heads, and the only one I liked was Simone.  Quite soon I'll be looking to mesh head my Alt.  I already have a few Lelutka demos, and your image has really inspired me that I can do better this time around!! Sorry to be a bit gushy, but I'm encouraged to get on with my Alt more than ever now!!!

I totally love your look and the feel in the picture, Anya!

And Belinda,  I must say that the Lelutka Bento heads (Greer especially) was a gamechanger for me - Been in SL since 08 and never really have had a look that I was content with. There have been OK mesh heads around, but until Bento they have been to limited in regards to tweeking etc... Was visiting SL less and less, failing to find «the look» until I discovered Bento and Lelutka heads...

And the Lelutka HUDs are exemplary, they even look delicious:)

These guys are me and my friend’s take on Spencer and Greer, Emma in the back with skin from Anyas favourite, me in front with skin from The Skinnery...

(and an added B/W photo to try to show off a little :) )

65310C27-D2D5-48E8-AEF5-4C9D47231CD3.jpeg

5EFD16C0-B0B3-4540-A9D4-2586FE1B8901.jpeg

Edited by Angelina String
Pressed «save» to early :)
  • Like 12

On 10/19/2018 at 8:13 AM, Rhonda Huntress said:

I have a simple lighting question.  Which do you think looks better, normal lighting or the brighter version?

2018-10-19_004a.thumb.jpg.71738c8a95fac77fc674c6b250d9222f.jpg2018-10-19_006a.thumb.jpg.6c7de895881df3a2a0a57e00ed4c55ec.jpg

I'm leaning more towards the normal version but I would like other opinions.

Better is decided in a big part by what you want to express and personal taste.

I like higher contrast images and tend to push saturation to get vibrant color. I like the images used in new car (any high end buy me ads) brochures as they spend serious money to get everything highly appealing to the viewer. Lighting in movies changes radically depending on what they want to do with mood. So, both of these images are a bit flat for my taste. But, I tend to prefer dramatic and glamorous over tending toward realistic.

I use Photoshop everyday. So, it is faster and easier for me to tweak in PS than to mess with WL. With a bit of practice image color, brightness, contrast tweaks are easy as crops.

When I start a photoshoot in SL I have a photo room and lighting and do some manipulation of WL (See William Weaver's YouTube tutorials on WL). For impromptu shoots I have avatar lights (Lights  - watch the linked video). The serious image manipulation I seldom get into. Check out Natsumi's image edits...

On 10/19/2018 at 1:31 PM, Talligurl said:

Turn off all the lights and take your clothes off.

No... no... turn on the lights. 

On 10/19/2018 at 4:04 PM, Sagadin said:

Yes it is!

Here's my version of a shot wearing it. At Basilique.

saga-999.jpg

Dress, hair, makeup... awesome.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

When I start a photoshoot in SL I have a photo room and lighting and do some manipulation of WL (See William Weaver's YouTube tutorials on WL). For impromptu shoots I have avatar lights (Lights  - watch the linked video). The serious image manipulation I seldom get into. Check out Natsumi's image edits...

I’ve woked with Photoshop for years, and if I’m going to edit my image, my main goal is to clean up the image edges so it looks more natural. Sometimes I delete unintended background interference. I never really play with WL much. Overwhelming how many options to choose from. Thanks for the info ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nalates Urriah said:

I like higher contrast images and tend to push saturation to get vibrant color. I like the images used in new car (any high end buy me ads) brochures as they spend serious money to get everything highly appealing to the viewer. Lighting in movies changes radically depending on what they want to do with mood. So, both of these images are a bit flat for my taste. But, I tend to prefer dramatic and glamorous over tending toward realistic.

I use Photoshop everyday. So, it is faster and easier for me to tweak in PS than to mess with WL. With a bit of practice image color, brightness, contrast tweaks are easy as crops.

For those who use GIMP instead of PS I just started a thread in the Art, Music, Photography sub-forum as a place to exchange tips on enhancing images. One technique I find is really helpful for making images more vibrant and less flat is described there. Have a look and add some tricks of your own if you are so inclined!

It's here: 

Edited by Sagadin
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 7:25 AM, Talligurl said:

Doing some pictures for a project I am doing for a builder

10.23.2018_007b.png

I'm usually lurking because am too lazy to sign in lol but I wow, I love this picture!! It has a lot of emotional depth to it. Great work!

Edited by xoRenaxo
spelling
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I am sort of blown away by the pics in this thread -- the avis, and the fashions, but particularly the compositions and lighting effects.

I'm never going to learn how to work with mesh, so I need to find another creative outlet, and photography has some potential, maybe? I've been brooding over my lacklustre efforts to date, and trying to think about how I might improve them, using what I'm seeing here as inspiration and tutorial.

Urban-1.jpg

I'm sure I'll be doing more than my share of vanity shots, but what I'd really like to do is experiment more with pics that place my avatar in interesting settings, and explore the relationship between her and the environment. Can anyone recommend good, general tutorials on photography in SL? 

Also, lighting and pose systems. They'd (both) need to be ones that worked as attachments, as I expect I won't have rez perms in the places I'll want to take pics.

Your stuff is kind of amazing, people. Thanks for sharing!

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 7

10 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Also, lighting and pose systems. They'd (both) need to be ones that worked as attachments, as I expect I won't have rez perms in the places I'll want to take pics.

There are a few photo backdrop groups that have some awesome backdrops and will allow you to rez options.  Backdrop City is one such.  Comhar (?maybe spelled right) has backdrops also, but I don't remember if you can rez there.  Then is also another Backdrop one, but I don't remember the full name.  Many of the photos you see here are from those locations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Can anyone recommend good, general tutorials on photography in SL? 

There are a bunch of great resources on SL photography out on the web. 

Strawberry Singh has some great video tutorials on SL photography on her blog.

Over at Kultivate Magazine's blog Myra Wildmist has a number of blog entries on photography that you might find helpful.

And then googling this just turned up another site that has a number of links to various blogs and vlogs: http://www.bvnsl.com/photography-tutorials/

And do check out flickr as well if you are not there already -- there's so much SL photography there to awe and inspire you forever! Sometimes it gets a bit overwhelming seeing all of the amazing talent there, but it can also help you to find your own unique style and approach!

Have fun!

ETA: @LittleMe Jewell Did you mean Backdrop Cove? That is a great backdrop spot that is less laggy than Backdrop City, well at least until everyone finds it... And they do allow you to rez objects there I believe.

Edited by Sagadin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Sagadin said:

There are a bunch of great resources on SL photography out on the web. 

Strawberry Singh has some great video tutorials on SL photography on her blog.

Over at Kultivate Magazine's blog Myra Wildmist has a number of blog entries on photography that you might find helpful.

And then googling this just turned up another site that has a number of links to various blogs and vlogs: http://www.bvnsl.com/photography-tutorials/

And do check out flickr as well if you are not there already -- there's so much SL photography there to awe and inspire you forever! Sometimes it gets a bit overwhelming seeing all of the amazing talent there, but it can also help you to find your own unique style and approach!

Have fun!

ETA: @LittleMe Jewell Did you mean Backdrop Cove? That is a great backdrop spot that is less laggy than Backdrop City, well at least until everyone finds it... And they do allow you to rez objects there I believe.

Thank you thank you thank you! And to LittleMe!!

(Google . . . now, there's a concept that apparently hadn't occurred to me! Duh.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I'm sure I'll be doing more than my share of vanity shots, but what I'd really like to do is experiment more with pics that place my avatar in interesting settings, and explore the relationship between her and the environment. Can anyone recommend good, general tutorials on photography in SL? 

I have much fun playing with different windlight settings, using the dropdown and slider in Phototools. I also have two parameters that I play around with a bit,  what in real life is referred to as focal length and aperture... Focal length impacts the perspective and field-of-view, and together with aperture it changes your depth-of-field (how much of the picture that will stay in focus...) I do a lot of photography in RL, and I quite enjoy it in SL too,  so I'll try to get some pointers and hints written down and illustrated in my (just-recently-started) blog :)

In addition to City and Cove, there's also a Backdrop Village that will let you rez stuff...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3