How does your avatar look today ?

Nostoll

On 5/1/2021 at 12:26 PM, Orwar said:

I was looking at that earlier, and whilst I quite liked the idea of the theme, it's just .. Not actually a whole lot of usable stuff. The 2D backdrop textures you can make yourself, for free, with a few button clicks. The lights you can make yourself, for free, with a few button clicks. The props .. Well, you can use anything as a photo prop in SL; there are plenty of stores that sell statues and decorative clutter that you can use for photos - lots of stuff in the weekend sales usually that has plenty of potential for cheap, as well as any furniture you buy anyway to put in your homes. 

The gadgets are just a bunch of pointless scripts; so long as you don't want your light to do anything peculiar, like blinking, there's no reason whatsoever to script it when you can use the build menu options to a higher degree of precision anyway. 

The one thing 'useful' are the poses, but anyone who's interested in doing photography ought to learn to make their own, whether through animation programs, or getting something like Anypose - which direction your head is facing, how broad the shoulders and hips of the model used to make the pose, the arm length, the hand size; buying poses made by someone else will limit what you can do with them, unless you use BDW or a posing HUD to adjust the poses - by which point you might as well have made it yourself anyway. 

If I walk into a studio and see a bunch of mesh studio lighting setups, I get the feeling the owner of the place is roleplaying a photographer, which is not the same as doing photography - whilst one doesn't have to exclude the other, it's a bit of a red flag. The exception is photo studio setups made to allow others to use them, which whilst a 'nice thing' to do is also pretty silly - you can achieve better results in a sandbox, some prims, and some locally uploaded textures without spending a dime.

Hi Orwar, Many thanks to you and Natales for your mention of the FOCUS Photography Fair, and I appreciate your opinion. I came up with the idea for the Focus Photography Fair because, as the publisher of FOCUS Magazine, there are many people who have come to me asking *how* they can begin photography and what support tools I can recommend. The FOCUS Photography Fair collects many of these tools into one place - as a sort of trade show - for people to discover tools they may have never seen or even imagined.

I agree it's much more convenient for someone to make their own custom pose, but I think the large number of successful pose creators in SL likely means that either photographers can’t figure it out or don’t want to spend their limited time researching and learning how. Additionally, creating a light projector in SL is fairly easy to do. But how many of us can make a sophisticated lighting system? For many, it’s more valuable to focus on the subject of the photo, rather than figuring out how to re-create a product. Again, I really think it just comes down to the finite amount of time people have and how they want to spend it.

And right now with enhanced environments, many people are confused and feeling like their artistic and creative outlet has been taken away. In response, we have vendors like Polyhistor with her (in my opinion) excellent windlights for just 100L. Our hope is that people can experiment without making a large investment and find that EEP is not a reason to leave SL and their art behind.

The ultimate purpose of the fair isn't to assist advanced photographers get better, but it's also not especially for the novice photographer either. The purpose is to gather information that may be useful for *all* photographers, to give lesser known gadget creators a chance to reach photographers, and -- possibly most of all -- to increase awareness of SL's incredible (though slightly disjointed) art community.

We are only in our 2nd year of the Focus Photography Fair, and I definitely look forward to learning more about what people would like to see there. I’d also like to mention that we don't profit from the Focus Photography Fair. Our goal is genuinely to serve the community. Our reasonable vendor booth fees are used to pay to the winners of our 5 photo contests, advertising and other expenses. In addition, Cesar Lighthouse continues to do a simply incredible service for the art of music in SL. We have live singers and DJ’s daily throughout the fair. The entire fair has been a truly encouraging experience in support of the arts.   

The Focus Photography Fair will be going strong until May 14th. I would love to invite you back to take a look again. Perhaps watch the community gather in positivity at the events, maybe chat with some visitors, attend a workshop and speak to some of our seasoned and astonishingly creative photographers who credit many of these gadgets for their artistic success. And while you’re there, pick-up a copy of FOCUS Magazine! Best regards 😊Angela Thespian

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I didn't originally think I'd share this shot; I've been wearing this hair from Kuni all week because it reminds me so much of my mother.  She'll still wear her hair like this for special occasions.  The only woman I know who never gave up on bangs. 😂

Happy Mother's Day to all the mommas out there. 💕

mommaj.jpg

• Like 27

♥ as some of us are celebratin Mother's day today :"3 I tried to make a small tribute to my mum. I felt inspired so I wanted to give it a try. She used to have a little dog like the inu puppy so I decided to add it to my picture. the cat represents my little sister XD ahahahaa (personal joke) I'm glad Lelutka has those bom add-ons to create a more mature look. ^^ I felt happy when my mum smiled after I showed her this picture. Hope everyone is having a nice moment with their families, times pass flying and we gotta treasure every day with our parents. 

MAMÁ....my BEST friend x ever ♥

• Like 25

1 hour ago, Lukorange said:

♥ as some of us are celebratin Mother's day today :"3 I tried to make a small tribute to my mum. I felt inspired so I wanted to give it a try. She used to have a little dog like the inu puppy so I decided to add it to my picture. the cat represents my little sister XD ahahahaa (personal joke) I'm glad Lelutka has those bom add-ons to create a more mature look. ^^ I felt happy when my mum smiled after I showed her this picture. Hope everyone is having a nice moment with their families, times pass flying and we gotta treasure every day with our parents. 

This is lovely.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Rufferta said:

Trying to take a photo in Scrimshaw Warrens, and I found that in Firestorm you can move the sun and moon! 

Wow!

Actually.... you can move the sun and moon in all viewers, AFAIK. I often adjust sun position in Firestorm, Black Dragon, and SL Default Viewer. Plus you can change their sizes and the textures used for them. You can replace the moon with Saturn if you want.

31246520508_398215f548_c.jpg

Oct 2018 - EEP in development.

You can see more EEP-Windlight skies in my Flickr pages (currently page 2 as of 5/9/21 - look for Oct 2018) There are some EEP Oops as the images are from an early release candidate viewer.

• Like 15

On 5/9/2021 at 1:34 AM, angelaThespian said:

Hi Orwar, Many thanks to you and Natales for your mention of the FOCUS Photography Fair, and I appreciate your opinion. I came up with the idea for the Focus Photography Fair because, as the publisher of FOCUS Magazine, there are many people who have come to me asking *how* they can begin photography and what support tools I can recommend. The FOCUS Photography Fair collects many of these tools into one place - as a sort of trade show - for people to discover tools they may have never seen or even imagined.

I agree it's much more convenient for someone to make their own custom pose, but I think the large number of successful pose creators in SL likely means that either photographers can’t figure it out or don’t want to spend their limited time researching and learning how. Additionally, creating a light projector in SL is fairly easy to do. But how many of us can make a sophisticated lighting system? For many, it’s more valuable to focus on the subject of the photo, rather than figuring out how to re-create a product. Again, I really think it just comes down to the finite amount of time people have and how they want to spend it.

And right now with enhanced environments, many people are confused and feeling like their artistic and creative outlet has been taken away. In response, we have vendors like Polyhistor with her (in my opinion) excellent windlights for just 100L. Our hope is that people can experiment without making a large investment and find that EEP is not a reason to leave SL and their art behind.

The ultimate purpose of the fair isn't to assist advanced photographers get better, but it's also not especially for the novice photographer either. The purpose is to gather information that may be useful for *all* photographers, to give lesser known gadget creators a chance to reach photographers, and -- possibly most of all -- to increase awareness of SL's incredible (though slightly disjointed) art community.

We are only in our 2nd year of the Focus Photography Fair, and I definitely look forward to learning more about what people would like to see there. I’d also like to mention that we don't profit from the Focus Photography Fair. Our goal is genuinely to serve the community. Our reasonable vendor booth fees are used to pay to the winners of our 5 photo contests, advertising and other expenses. In addition, Cesar Lighthouse continues to do a simply incredible service for the art of music in SL. We have live singers and DJ’s daily throughout the fair. The entire fair has been a truly encouraging experience in support of the arts.   

The Focus Photography Fair will be going strong until May 14th. I would love to invite you back to take a look again. Perhaps watch the community gather in positivity at the events, maybe chat with some visitors, attend a workshop and speak to some of our seasoned and astonishingly creative photographers who credit many of these gadgets for their artistic success. And while you’re there, pick-up a copy of FOCUS Magazine! Best regards 😊Angela Thespian

On the larger issue of Focus Magazine and their in-world group (somewhat confusingly called "Too Sexy for this Group"), I just want to add that anyone, regardless of how "accomplished" they feel they are as a photographer, should get involved. It's a very large group of really supportive people who are just interested in SL photography, and who are happy to share their time, their work, and their expertise.

The group includes a really wide range of talent, from the novice to the OMG-THAT-IS-THE-BEST-PHOTO-I'VE-EVER-SEEN, and everyone in the group that I've met is very friendly and accepting. In fact, I think it's particularly useful for novices, as it is a great place to learn (in the past, Angela has run a couple of "workshops" on photography), to connect, and to share you photos with an always appreciative audience.

They have nearly weekly (and sometimes more) social events featuring DJs and live performers, that are always well attended, so it's a community in a very real sense. They have two galleries, as well as outdoor exhibit areas, with rotating exhibits, so it's also a terrific place to see people's work (I've met up with and friended some astonishingly nice and accomplished photographers that way), and the magazine itself, published monthly online and in-world features not merely new photographs, but also articles on the art of photography.

They are just really really nice people. If you like photography, you'll like this group. Seriously. I'd love to see more people from this thread popping up in group chat, because you people totally belong in this group.

Disclaimer: I have no official standing with Focus at all -- I'm just an ordinary member and beneficiary of the cool things they do. And Focus itself is an entirely free and non-profit organization: no cost, no risk, and lots of great stuff, including, incidentally, monthly themed photo contests with prize money that are free to enter.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Lukorange said:

What @TrophySpousesaid, and more! This is adorable.

It's really lovely to see someone using their photographs to reach out in RL (or SL for that matter). I love that your mother smiled when she saw it. It made me smile too.

• Like 3